Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Swollen Juicy 3 Seal – Wrong Lube Used :(
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi,

I squirted oil into my Juicy 3 levers and they no longer spring back after being pressed. I suspect the seals have swollen and this is what’s causing the problem. If I dismantle the lever, clean all the seals and grease with the right lube, is it likely to solve the problem? Or will new seals be required?

The brake system was working fine prior to this and had been bled fairly recently.

Thanks.

coatesy
    Free Member

New seals, and a very thorough clean up of everything else using a brake cleaner or similar, if you skimp on the clean up you’ll end up in the same boat again.

iainc

and you can use silicon spray rather than oil or GT85 once sorted – use this all the time now on Hope’s and Shimano levers

mattrgee
    Free Member

Bugger, I was hoping a clean up and re-grease would be enough 🙁 I take it once the seals have swollen they won’t return to their normal size once cleaned?

Thanks iainc, I bought a can of this today, would it be suitable?

Thanks.

iainc

Thanks iainc, I bought a can of this today, would it be suitable?

indeed, that should do the job 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Once they’ve swollen it just gets worse, leave them long enough and it’ll turn to something resembling chewing gum.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thanks coatesy, sounds like I need to bite the bullet and sort the seals out.

pistola
    Free Member

I had the same problem and got new seal kits from UKBikeStore iirc. Brakes work a treat now.

billyboy
    Free Member

All brakes are liable to fail and cause grief sometimes

Juicys take the piss tho

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

With my lever in pieces the seals don’t look too bad. What would be the best thing to clean the internals with in order to get rid of the oil? Degreaser? Hot water and washing up liquid?

coatesy
    Free Member

Been using Muc-off Brake Cleaner with good results, but wear safety glasses and beware of blow-backs as it’s pretty high pressure and will sting if it gets in your eyes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Swollen Juicy 3 Seal – Wrong Lube Used :(’ is closed to new replies.