Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Swollen font door ….can it be unswollen?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Elderly neighbours front door is severely swollen following the torrential rain, it is wooden, old but in keeping with the cottage. She does not want to, possibly afford to, replace it,so given she cannot use the door can it be unswollen? When and if it does unswell (?) Will it need replacing or can be made good/non swellable?

welshfarmer

Mine does this everytime it rains for a prolonged period (though it can still be opened albeit with difficulty). As soon as it dries out a bit it goes back to normal size and works fine. If you start planing bits off it then it will soon be too small come summer. However, maybe a little bit planed off in strategic points may help it still work for now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wooden doors change shape all the time, it will shrink back as it dries out but that doesn’t help right now.
    Probably short of paint/sealer on the bottom edge allowing it to soak water up.

project
    Free Member

get this quite often, take door off and ease as required with an electric plane, try not to take any off lock edge of door as you cant plane past the lock, also checjk the joints havent popped, eg come apart as even with easing the joint wil continue to open up.

also remember if the door is swollen and closed it will be difficult for someone thenn to close it , also beware of any glass pannels, never push on or near them, serious injury will result.

What area are you in, i can help if wirral or chester.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Try Leaving a dehumidifier right near the door

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, ease it then wait for dry weather then paint or varnish all surfaces to reduce moisture movement. A wood door should have three coats.

scaled
    Free Member

I took a couple of mm off the bottom of the garage door last night as it was getting to the point I was worried about pulling the handle off.

I just went at it with a block plane on the bits that were catching the worst and need to reseal it all today before the monsoon hits

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks the joints ….so edge of door near lock and jarm/wall has six joints running up the door all are gapping worst is a couple of cms…so wait till dry and then reseal massively?

A builder came round and said no new door and big bill, she almost said yes.

easygirl

If there are gaps at the rail joints as you have described, you will need a new door unfortunately

enfht
    Free Member

Depending on how old and frail your neighbour is, you may want to suggest trying her back door.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not necessarily easygirl – hang on till it dries, ease joints out, glue, clamp and re-fit the door.
    Nice new coat of paint x 3 making sure you seal all the joints and edges.
    Done this several times in the past – no need to throw away the original door.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Thanks the joints ….so edge of door near lock and jarm/wall has six joints running up the door all are gapping worst is a couple of cms.

[quote]

A couple of centimetres? Do you have pics? Most doors can be rebuilt, but it may not be cost efficient.

Pictures are needed, withh added pics.

slowoldman

six joints running up the door all are gapping worst is a couple of cms.

What you have there is a gate.

d45yth
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    Depending on how old and frail your neighbour is, you may want to suggest trying her back door.

You beast! 😯

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Swollen font door ….can it be unswollen?’ is closed to new replies.