Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • swithering between fox and shox
  • maccruiskeen

still ruminating on a replacement bike and pretty much boiled it down to two packages, which with everything else considered and balanced leaves a choice that swings around two shock packages

Reba RL and Monarch RT for and aft

the other

Fox 32 float ctd fit performance / float CTD lv evolution

I’m not really a follower of fork fashions, and only have experience of Rockshox ownership (a recon / monarch combo and only had the monarch for a couple of rides) I read a lot of critism of fox fragility. Is one pairing going to make me happier in the saddle, is one going to make me happier in the wallet in the long run?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I personally don’t buy the fox fragility; all of mine have been fine even in the Peaks which ate pretty gritty. I’m still running a pair of 2005 36 Van RC2’s, still on their original stanchions with no wear.

However, I personally don’t like the CTD stuff from Fox. It’s the first time that I’ve really got or understood journo complaints. The set up that I rode was very dicey and had no support in the mid stroke to blew through its travel.

banks
    Free Member

+1 for not liking the CTD stuff – i’d move over to RS or Marzocchi now, well whenever my 36’s die

dannybgoode

Been reading about the new 120mm CTD’s from Fox and they have a fine tune dial to adjust the CTD to user liking.

Do all CTD’s have this or is it new? May improve things going forward if its something they’ve added in view of feedback…

Cheers

Danny B

maccruiskeen

the new 120mm CTD’s from Fox

How new is new – I’m looking at bikes currently stocked, or do you mean new-for-next-year?

its a 150mm fox I’m looking at

mindmap3
    Free Member

My understanding is that the fine tune dial is for the trail setting only and basically dictates how much of a platform there is. The 2014 CTD stuff has been revised by Fox after it was given a fair few bad write ups and isssupposedly much better now according to Pink Bike. I still don’t like the idea and would much rather have control over the compression damping.

The CTD damping is what will make me ditch Fox when I get found to replacing the 36’s. I’ll end up with some Lyriks or 55’s next. They’re both eaiser to service than my first ten RC2 cartridge.

The current CTD stuff can be sorted out by adding extra oil but I still think it is fundamentally flawed, but then again I don’t use lock out or wind down and leave my suspension at a setting that I’m happy with.

Northwind

I wouldn’t have a 150mm 32 if I could avoid it, just about the only modern fork I’ve ridden that bothered me with its flexiness. Not that it stopped me from riding anything I want to ride, to be fair.

maccruiskeen

Cheers all

Options paralysis be gone!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘swithering between fox and shox’ is closed to new replies.