Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Switching Xt brakes around
  • edward2000
    Free Member

My mates brought a Radon bike and the brakes are euro style not english style. It is simply a case of unscrewing the hose from the lever and swapping them around? Will they need a bleed afterwards?

cooie

Should be ok, just be careful!!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

If you leave the revisoir caps on you’ll loose virtually no oil. Once re connected they usually just need a couple of pumps on the lever and that’s it

nickjb
    Free Member

Easier with two people. One person holds the first hose steady while the other removes the second. Then just swap them carefully. Should be fine.

jimw
    Free Member

See this, explains how to work on hoses without bleeding. Disregard the bits about shortening, its the start and finish points that are relevant
    http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/shorten-shimano-hoses-without-bleeding/

cooie

And whatever you do don’t accidently touch the levers! 😳

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s a fairly normal tip to remove wheel and give the lever a pump or two to expose pistons without ejecting, leave caps in place, swap hoses, open caps then push pistons back. I assume this is what the Epic video is showing.

It can go wrong, you may need to bleed especially if there is any hidden air lurking already, but you’ve got a pretty good chance of getting away with it.

Just have everything to hand and don’t waste any time once the hoses are opened. And don’t let the open ends of the hoses point anywhere other than straight up.

edward2000
    Free Member

Thanks all. If my mates brakes fail and he dies I’m going to sue you all

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Switching Xt brakes around’ is closed to new replies.