Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • switching to full suss
  • swagger
    Free Member

hi guys,

i currently run a spesh stumpy ht.
    but ive been offered a trek top fuel 8 for £1200(new)

which is an offer i cant really refuse! i only have a limited amount of time on that offer tho. it means that i’ll have to get rid of the stumpy.

the rear shock doesnt have lock out(i believe)

im unable to test ride 1, so what id like advise about is ho stiff is it gonna feel?!

i havent tried a full suss in a few years but what i never liked was that fact that they wallowed and were bouncy. im sure that suspension has come on along way tho!

many thanks
    joe

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hi Joe

I wouldn’t buy it without riding it first. Someone will come here who rides one and tell you it is stiff enough. Someone else will come on and say it isn’t stiff enough. Only you will know for sure and only by riding it. There will ALWAYS be bike bargains out there. Get a test ride on a few bikes, decide which ones you like and then find the best price. Don’t get tempted by a great offer if you can’t get to test ride it.
    Good luck

Mounty_73

I wouldn’t spend 1200 quid on a bike without testing it first, regardless of it being a bargain!

I also ride a stumpy HT and I test rode a load of bikes before buying a FS…. 😀

swagger
    Free Member

i know what your saying.

i dont really want to buy any thing without test riding, for the reasons above and also you cant garuntee fit and feel.

on top of that i really like the spesh and would be gutted to part with it!

thanks for the replys guys.

joe

br
    Free Member

A few years ago I too bought an ‘8’ as a bargain, but tbh while it was a great bike it was a size too small…

Trekster

lots of people going back to ht, fs is just too expensive to maintain imo

uplink
    Free Member

lots of people going back to ht, fs is just too expensive to maintain imo

over the HT mine costs an extra £90 – £100 yr to maintain

coogan
    Free Member

My full suss’s have never cost more than my HT to maintain over the years at all. That’s Turners bushings and grease ports for you. 8)

uplink
    Free Member

My full suss’s have never cost more than my HT to maintain over the years at all

no shock service?

coogan
    Free Member

Once in five years for the Romic on my last Turner.

ampthill

I bought a Fuel ex 6.5 without a test ride (used one ride only £800). But I was sure the size was correct. My gamble was that I could loose a few hundred if I didn’t like it but less than on a new bike

Test riding is a mixed bag. Yes stiffness will show up. But fit is really tough. My Fuel ex came with a 120mm stem and the wrong bars for me. It didn’t feel correct until it was sorted with 80mm stem and Mary Bars

No lock out but I think with propedal they pedal really well

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I agree with ampthill I got an ex8 recently off here based on magazine reviews and really like it but I did have to change stem and bars etc to feel ‘right’
    Also agree that pro pedal works well enough to not need lockout.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘switching to full suss’ is closed to new replies.