Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Switching to a water meter
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I live in the South West where they charge a ridiculous amount for water and sewerage so I’ve thinking about a meter. However, I filled in the online calculator and it seems to work out costing more. There’s myself, Wife and two small kids in the house and I don’t use a garden hose just the usual daily shower, the dishwasher once a day along with the washing machine (alright I don’t personally use that one much).
    What are peoples’ experiences of switching on here (particularly if you have to use those South West water sharks).

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There were a few threads a while back on this. Basically the calculator hits averages so if you are anywhere near sensible you should come under. As a couple we come in under the 1 person house some days and we are not that careful with water.

If your appliances are new and you don’t have water running all the time you might be better than estimated. Also if not you might use less 🙂 which is the point.

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks Mike, I’ll go searching for the other threads as well.

fadda

I think you can have a water meter fitted, then retain an option to have it taken out again if it’s not working out – a “trial period” if you like.

I know that was the case with SWW about 5 years ago, it’s worth calling to ask them if it still applies!

giantjason
    Free Member

we were on un-metered charges of about £540 per year. we got a meter installed and it costs us just over £200 per year so well worth it. We live just outside bristol so in the south west to.

This is only for two adults and we would class ourselves as low water users, so check to see if you would be actually better off.

I think most of the water companies allow you to fit a meter and if you dont think it will save you any money you can take it off within 12 months.

Dibbs
    Free Member

We live just outside bristol so in the south west to.

😆

The difference between living in the South West (Bristol Water ?) and what South West Water charges will probably make your hair curl 😯

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Switching to a water meter’ is closed to new replies.