• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Switching from the NHS to private healthcare
  • badnewz
    Free Member

Worth doing? I’d be registered as a private individual.
    Interested in hearing of any good or bad experiences!

I’ve nothing against the old NHS it just seems to be creaking at the seams and I’d like a less stressful experience in terms of booking appointments and long waiting times, especially when getting treated for stress!

jamiep
    Free Member

Don’t know why you think booking an NHS appointment would be a streeful experience. Waiting times are the shortest they have ever been.

totalshell

if you have the cash.. go ahead. great fort everyday visits at your convienance etc.
    however come the big stuff you ll find yourself better off in the nhs. my room mate when i had my heart op was a paying guest, he d chosen to have his op in the nhs hospital as the emergency facilities were better..

blurty

Private health care normally just enhances the NHS offering anyway. You get to see consultants more quickly, in their ‘off-hours’. Consultants will use NHS or ‘Private’ facilities for ops & procedures, depending on availability and price.

I am fortunate to be insured through work. I’ve used it for loads of physio visits (injuries) over the years, and a few minor ops.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

For me, the two seem to work hand in hand. BUPA through work by the way.

Knee problem, see GP, ask for private referral to local BUPA hospital, get approval from BUPA (two consultant visits plus MRI approved straight away), appointment for < 1 week later, MRI next day.

There is an excess to pay, which in our case is 200 pounds.

EDIT: Had my other knee serviced 10 years ago. The overall bill was about 8000 pounds, of which I paid 100 pounds as the excess at the time.

tonyd

+1 if you can afford it use it. I’ve had a few things sorted out going private (through work) including an ACL reconstruction. From first consultation to final op was something like 10 weeks (had to wait 6-8 weeks between ops IIRC). My neighbour had the same injury soon after me and it took him just short of two years to get sorted out (by the same consultant!).

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Had it in the past for a Hernia Op from seeing the GP to being on the operating table took four weeks, would of been sooner but I had give work notice of two weeks as I was using Annual leave for recovery.

Similar operation by the NHS they cocked up, took 4 months for the op and after the op it split open inside and had to be redone.

Excellent if you can afford it.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

So does anyone on here know what sort of cost you’d be looking at? I guess its variable to some degree on age, health etc, but what sort of ball park figure?

brassneck

Mine (benefit from work) is added and removed from salary at around £65 a month. 42 and obviously elite athlete, being on here 🙂

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Interesting. Way cheaper than I imagined. That’s in affordable territory.

brooess
    Free Member

Are you talking about self-pay or insurance? e.g. Bupa
    Self-pay can get very expensive – and you can’t necessarily just drop out and go NHS half-way if you run out of ££
    Bupa have been in financial difficulty for some time now – costs are going up and up but customers don’t want to spend the premiums required to keep up with these costs – the ageing population is a big pressure here. One way to deal with this is to pay out less in claims… so you have to be very careful with the small print, or it could cost you a lot more than you think
    As mentioned above – private A&E is very limited in the UK so if you’re in for an op and something goes wrong, being taken down the corridor to ITU is a better place to be than in the wrong building!

blurty

Its £1400 per year for me (48) + family. 5 skulls in total. Bupa.

finishthat
    Free Member

You are not really switching – you are paying for insurance to pay for the option of being treated privately where that option exists.
    Generally speeds up process as per above posts – be very careful about pre-existing conditions – employers who offer this benefit usually negotiate to have them covered by new joiners – outside an employment related scheme the cover may exclude them.

allthepies
    Free Member

My company private healthcare incurs a benefit in kind deduction of £650 from my personal allowance so it costs me approx £130 /yr net.

badnewz
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’m self employed and the figures I’ve had quoted come in at about £400 a year, for the record. I’m in my 30s and have no previous other than a knee issue which doesn’t require surgery. But I will ensure I check the small print as I’m always weary talking to insurance people.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Bupa for me was £70 a month and that was with Pre Existing Hypertension. I got it mainly so I could get my hernia sorted quickly.

footflaps

It’s not really switching as you’re not opting out of the NHS nor not paying for it, you’re just going private with the NHS as a backup, as that’s where you’ll end up if anything goes wrong.

DanW
    Free Member

I am also interested to learn more about all of this.

The prices and cover described above sound very attractive. I don’t fancy going through the 1 year wait for an MRI/ convincing someone to care again if I can help it.

I will be self employed soon and had been recommended by friends to look at Health Insurance. Although it shouldn’t make any difference I am conscious to minimise time away from work should something happen (MTB can be a little unpredictable after all).

Do the BUPA style health insurance offer any possibility to cover lost earnings from time away from work (some form of sick pay I guess) or is that something different all together?

If it could all be combined with some form of regular travel insurance that is even more attractive…

I have cover for liability for the various things affecting others but am responsible for my own personal insurance… seems like a minefield but I’m sure it is ok when you get in to it 😕

Any advice greatly appreciated!

badnewz
    Free Member

Do the BUPA style health insurance offer any possibility to cover lost earnings from time away from work (some form of sick pay I guess) or is that something different all together?

I think that is different (although I’m not expert so stand to be corrected).

DanW
    Free Member

I thought so but haven’t got my head around where insurance for sick pay for self employed comes in. It seems to fall under “self employed income protection” although I’m not sure if the health insurance providers can include this too 😕

It would be nice to cover health and the usual self employed stuff together if possible? Has anyone done this/ would you recommend it?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Switching from the NHS to private healthcare’ is closed to new replies.