Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Switching from a 1×9 to a 2×10.
  • bonzo92
    Free Member

Right guys!
    I’m thinking about changing my current mountain bike gear set from a 1×9 to a 2×10. Maybe even a 2×9 if possible. I’m new to the mountain bike scene and I feel like I’m loosing to much energy racing up hills in high gears which means I get knackered easily. Whats the best way to change it? Can I keep the rear cassettes and mech (all XT) or even the chain and buy the two front cassettes and the gear shifter? Or is it better to buy a whole new set? Prefer to keep XT for reliability reasons. Any help would be appreciated 🙂 Cheers!

tomkerton
    Free Member

Yes for about £90 your LBS should be able to shove a Deore double cranckset including the bottom bracket at the front. XT shifter is c. £40. Keep the back as it is for now! Sorted!

busydog
    Free Member

Can’t give you a recommendation specific to your question about the compatibility between cassette and rings/shift mechs, but think tomkerton is right. As far as use, my change was a little different from a 3X9 (XTR)on my old bike to a 2X10 (XT) on my new bike. It did take a little getting used to, but after a dozen or so rides, really like the 2X10. Give you a lot of good gear combinations without a lot of overlap and it won’t cross chain (of course that wasn’t issue with your 1X9 setup).

bonzo92
    Free Member

Awesome, Cheers guys! I’ll let you know how I get on… If I manage it.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Good luck. I did the similar to busydog, went from the supplied SRAM 3×8 to Shimano SLX 2×9. Good range, More straightforward to maintain, and lighter i suppose too.

Yours is a good plan, 2 up front works well for general trail riding IMHO

ndthornton
    Free Member

Fantastic invention those front mech’s aren’t they 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Switching from a 1×9 to a 2×10.’ is closed to new replies.