Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • switching chainrings – any difference between 9 and 10 speed compatibility?
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Ok, so following the advice on an earlier thread i’m looking to get new chainrings to see if i can resolve the dreaded chainsuck issue.

I was going to just buy new chainrings, however my mate has suggested switching to 2×10 as i had been considering it, and it would work out cheaper to do it all at once rather than piecemeal.

What i’m wondering is, if i buy just new chainrings, are they 9/10speed limited, or can they do both? What i mean is, if i buy new chainrings and keep a 2×9 set up and then decided to go 2×10, will i need to buy all new chainrings or will the same ones work with 9 and 10 speed chains?

DanW
    Free Member

Internal chain dimensions and chainring tooth dimension are the same for 9, 10 and 11 speed (MTB). You shouldn’t have any problems with what you suggest. The only reason to buy new chainrings going 10 speed is to not be using worn rings with a new cassette and potentially new chain (which may or may not bring about chainsuck again).

I have some unused FSA K-force rings (104BCD, 44T, 32T, 22T) you could have for very few pennies if this helps at all?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘switching chainrings – any difference between 9 and 10 speed compatibility?’ is closed to new replies.