Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Switching 29er to gears – what do I need?
  • madeupname
    Free Member

Currently changing an old 29er Inbred from SS to geared…. I’ve already got a rear wheel with free hub, single speed chain set, and a triple chain set.

As this is a project I want to keep the budget low – do I try out 1×9/10 first, and add a front derailleur later if I want it, or do I go for 3×9/10 from the word go? How about 2×9/10?

If I go single chainring, is a chain device compulsory, or can I just run a single ring?

I have a cheapy Merlin 26er that runs a conventional 3×9, and mainly ride XC style routes, sadly no big hills near me for going up or down. I don’t want to dismantle the 26er as my reason for justifying another bike is that the wife can ride it.

Last time I was into mountain bikes was before V brakes appeared, so looking for up to date ideas!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

madeupname
    Free Member

I know I’m new but is no- one even going to either try to sell me their spares, or call me a noob for asking stupid questions?

To rephrase – would it be cheaper to buy the 3×10 and just ride as normal, or try the 1×10 and whack on a FD later if I miss it?

svalgis
    Free Member

Go single ring up front to begin with – with no big hills around I doubt you’ll need/want anything more.

If you can wait a bit, e13 and Blackspire are both producing single chainrings designed to work without a chainguide as we speak. Alternatively, a clutch rear mech (you’ll want this either way) coupled with a top only type guide.

Jeffus
    Free Member

1 x 10 is fine with a 36-11 out back and a 32 up front , I used an Mrp 1x chain device just looks like a front mech ish, and one of the new Shadow plus rear mechs with a clutch that stops things bouncing around as much, Shimano do the clutch mech in Slx if your on a budget then you just need the 10 speed shifter, XT and Xtr you can just buy the right hand shifter, not sure about Slx, oh and a chain 😀

madeupname
    Free Member

Thanks for you replies!

How easy are the clutch mechs to live with? Do you bother flicking the switch between ups and downs, or can you get away with just leaving it switched ‘on’ all the time? I presume you can back pedal with them still?

And how does Zee compare with SLX? Similar in price, if running only one chain ring, the teeth number thing shouldn’t be an issue…

Jeffus
    Free Member

Leave switched on, switch off for removing rear wheel, Zee looks great value, more gravity biased, I’d go Slx save some weight… I’m running XT + been great so far 😀

madeupname
    Free Member

So new SLX clutch mech, chain, xt shifter and cassette in post…

Sudden panic – will I need a new chainring, or will my old SS front ring work?

Sorry for being such a noob, just don’t want to put it ask together and then have to wait for a new front ring if it won’t work…

It’s not very rough round here, so am holding off on chain guide for the mo…. But any advice there would be good? Seems the MRP 1x is well regarded, anyone tried the superstar, or is it too cheap?

fenboy

get the superstar one for the money it works and its something you can try and see if you want to upgrade later or not, i’ve tried the superstar and it works fine

madeupname
    Free Member

Thanks Fenboy… Will try the superstar.

My plan to build this on the cheap is slowly being derailed – just realised I need a bigger rotor to fit my brakes to my new forks 🙁

Starting to think It would have been cheaper to buy a whole bike…. Because I bet in the end I end up replacing the blinking frame as well!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Switching 29er to gears – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.