Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Switched back to flats, feet getting bumped off pedals riding my hard tail
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

So what do I need to do better?

In my defence I’m using some cheap Nike riding shoes, not exactly FiveTens, and DMR v8s. I had a few scary moments yesterday when riding fairly rocky stuff at a decent speed. Not technical trails, but bumpy enough to make it tricky staying attached to the bike by all points of contact!

I probably have some bad spd habits, eg unweighting the bike the wrong way by pulling up slightly with my feet. Guess this needs to be unlearnt!

Also, is being a 10st light weight a disadvantage when it comes to down force?

I think I understand about pushing my heals down on descents, not parallel to the ground.

I’m going to keep trying as I reckon the benefits for my riding generally will be worth it, but I’d rather not have any more bull-ride moments only attached by my @rse and hands… 😯

Bez

Heel down only on the front pedal. Toe down on the rear, pushing back. You can practice by standing over the bike with your chocolate foot on the floor, and you should be able to lift the bike using your hands and your trailing foot.

neninja
    Free Member

You want your foot further forward on the pedal than with SPD’s

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Any recommendation for pedals?

juiced
    Free Member

v8’s are fine. Just get some suitable shoes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with your V8s. That’s what I use.

Too many people place the emphasis on what shoes and pedals with flats when, to be honest, any old pair of pedals and any trainers will work just as well if you know what you’re doing.

In fact, I’d go as far as to say that you’d be better avoiding mountain bike shoes like 5:10s altogether when you’re new to it. A cheap pair of waffle sole Vans or Converse would be better with your V8s IME.

🙂

juiced
    Free Member

tk maxx is good place to look.

Bez

I’ve seen one or two do stuff I can only dream of doing, in running shoes and cheap pedals. Any V8 style pedal is plenty good enough for grip – the’ve been good to me over the years with Vans. Be sure to settle the ball of your foot in between the axle and the front row of pins.

alpin
    Free Member

what nike shioe are you using?

i use nike mogan and find them almost perfect. originally a bmx trainer so fairly soft sole and lots of funky colours….

Junkyard
    Free Member

one mans funky is an other mans OMFG

Bez

funky

epicyclo

Get your bum out of the saddle (hover) and your weight on your feet.

geetee1972
    Free Member

In fact, I’d go as far as to say that you’d be better avoiding mountain bike shoes like 5:10s altogether when you’re new to it. A cheap pair of waffle sole Vans or Converse would be better with your V8s IME.

That statement holds true for as long as you’re recommending flat soled shoes like those listed above. But trainers don’t have flat soles; a lot of them are recessed around the instep making them useless on flat pedals since half your foot isn’t even on the pedal itself.

The key is a flat soled shoe but the stickier rubber on 5.10s and the Shimano AM40 is a big benefit.

mancjon
    Free Member

Sounds obvious but in addition to above advice try and stay relaxed, especially in the legs as if you stiffen up you will be far more likely to be bounced off the pedals.

As epicyclo said, get bum off seat but also lower your torso a bit which will give you more flex in your legs and arms.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Epic, that much I had worked out…my spine would be in pieces by now otherwise! Anyway, now got some Impact Lows, so I am instantly a better rider as I will no doubt prove to myself tomorrow 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Switched back to flats, feet getting bumped off pedals riding my hard tail’ is closed to new replies.