Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Switchbacks & rear-wheel endo's..
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Ok watching that film “Mr Switch” was enough to get me out the door & bouncing round the carpark practicing..

Thought: when kicking rear-wheel round which foot should you lead with? I.e kicking wheel to the right should it be right foot forward etc? Or does it not really matter?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Personal preference I’d have thought.

I am, of course, no expert.

Hareydan
    Free Member

IME it’s easier to push the back wheel round with the foot that’s further back, so if you want to swing the back round to the left you’re better off with your left foot forward, and vice versa. If you’re heading out to practice anyway it might be worth experimenting though!

souldrummer
    Free Member

Have seen that done on quite a few of the films on here and really must try and perfect the technique as I am rubbish at tight switchbacks. Is it easier with the bike pointing downhill do you think, as I haven’t achieved much success on the flat??

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Dont know drummer but I did finder it easy with momentum than without & I think its probably easier to do as Hareydan suggests..

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Learn 180 endos on the carpark, then the trail stuff will be fairly easy.

If you’re doing it right you’re pulling from your bars to convert forward momentum into a turning force, so it shouldn’t make much difference which foot you have forward. If you’re doing it wrong and moving the rear with your feet, it might.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just do it to whichever side feels natural. Most of it comes from turning your arms/bars and swinging your hips/body. You need to trun into it before you lock the front brake.

If you can bunnyhop properly it helps loads, I could do a 180 endo on my bmx and that doesnt have a front brake

ash

Outside foot forward. So, going into say a left-hand switchback, have your right foot forward. This will set your hips up to face into the corner and will make the whole thing a lot easier (be it just for riding around it, or for doing a rolling endo to get around)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Cheers ash thats what I thought.

tonyd

+1 ash – same with skiiing, snowboarding, all sorts. Open your body up and your hips are in the right position. I’ve done loads of snowboarding etc but never thought about applying this to biking til it was pointed out to a bunch of us on a trip to Spain last year. I was still crap at tight switchbacks though.

I’d also imagine that if you have the wrong foot forward you’ll have to try to rotate around your hip which will throw your centre of gravity out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Switchbacks & rear-wheel endo's..’ is closed to new replies.