Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Switch Intense 5.5 for Lapierre Zesty
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Was out on the 5.5 again yesterday and I am struggling with how much flex I get in the rear triangle when I put the power down. You can see it physically twist and the chain rubs on the front mech. Someone mentioned before that these frames are flexy, but if it flexed anymore it would have rear wheel steering.

Thinking of switching it for a Zesty ?

roundwheels
    Free Member

Can't say I've noticed that much flex you must chris hoy ? If you can put that much power down

aP
    Free Member

Are the linkage bolts tightened up properly?
    My fro doesn't flex – but then again I'm not a big, powerful rider.

jeb

Try searching for the push monoblock link, or intense`s own, it stiffens up the rear.

flanagaj
    Free Member

linkage bolts are tight. Am going to fully strip it down today and make sure none of the pivot bolts are worn.

PS – Chris Hoy and I have similar power output. Only difference being he generates as much with one leg as I do with two!

flanagaj
    Free Member

"Try searching for the push monoblock link, or intense`s own, it stiffens up the rear.
    " It is a 2008 frame which has the Intense Monoblock linkage already

backhander
    Free Member

I don't know what to say.
    My old 5.5 is here with me at the moment and it is not that flexy.
    I now ride a knolly (one of the stiffest bikes known to man), so I'd notice it if the 5.5 was that bad.

flanagaj
    Free Member

backhander – if you grab the rear wheel and hold the seatpost firm can you feel flex in the rear triangle and play in the linkages or not ?

Thanks

M6TTF
    Free Member

Could the flex be in the rear wheel rather than the triangle?

backhander
    Free Member

With a fair bit of effort (I'm 14.5 stone), I can feel maybe 1-2mm of flex in the triangle (the alloy bending) but none in the pivots at all. The bike has bearings that are 1 ride old. Check that the crush tubes are in place and the pivot bolts are OK.
    It would be a shame if you can't get it sorted as I really enjoyed the bike. It's a ripper.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I love the ride of a 5.5 so plush. A good strip down to check bolts / bearings and crush tubes before making a rash "stick on ebay and buy a zesty" decision is made. I do like the look of the zestys though

flanagaj
    Free Member

A good strip down revealed a nasty surprise. One of the bearings on the rear triangle that connects to the shock linkage can be pushed out with my finger !

I suspect that guy who flogged me the frame had replaced the bearings a number of times and the hole has become worn. Just wondering what options apart from a new rear triangle are available to me ?

I was thinking whether an engineer might be able to remachine a slightly bigger hole and I could then use a bigger bearing with the sae size internal.

Why did I buy 2nd hand?

RicB

As a stop gap you could try using a shim made from a strip of aluminium can to keep the bearing wedged in place. It'll probably increase wear somewhere but if the triangle's knackered anyway….

peakmonster
    Free Member

you think a zesty will be less flexi ???? 🙄

backhander
    Free Member

flanagaj, is it just the paint/PC that's been chipped away or is the alu worn?
    Wouls a new Powdercoat fix it?
    My main criticism of the 5.5 is that the factory paint was shocking, I mean really poor.
    Lapierres are nice but they wouldn't be my choice. Maybe wait to see Oranges offerings in 2011? Failing that, I absolutely recommend Knolly. There isn't a bike on the market I'd rather have at the moment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I suspect that guy who flogged me the frame had replaced the bearings a number of times and the hole has become worn.

easy to check rather than speculate? I think you would know about it if this was the case.

Leku
    Free Member

Another 5.5 owner here.

I seem to remember reading on one of the american forums of similar issues. General consensus was don't buy a frame made by a stoner on a friday afternoon. For those of us already owners not very helpful.

There was talk of locktighting the bearing into place to make up for the play. Not certain how good an idea this is but it must be the cheapest option.

I must say my paint is excellent – an 06 model in white and hardly chipped at all.

JohnnyPanic

Bearing fit adhesive?

flanagaj
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting a machine shop to reem the hole and to make up a better fitting mounting bolt. The mounting bolt that is in there has slight play when inside the bearing. This in my eyes should be a real snug fit with no play. Any slight amount of play on the linkage will be magnified even more sense by the time you get to the rear wheel.

Leku
    Free Member

Is this the same frame as the crack?

Seriously bad luck if it is….

flanagaj
    Free Member

Even worse. It is a 2nd hand frame that I recently purchased as a result of the spider being cracked!

Leku
    Free Member

that REALLY sucks.

Hope you find a easy way to sort it out.

flanagaj
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Switch Intense 5.5 for Lapierre Zesty’ is closed to new replies.