Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Switch EVO front hub bearing replacement…
  • BFITH
    Free Member

So its time for new bearings in the superstar hubs, but cant seem to figure out how to get the front ones out. Ive got the top hats etc out so I can see the outer face of both bearings but there is a sleeve/spacer between the inner faces of the bearings which means I cant get any purchase for on the back of the bearing to whack it out with a screwdriver/hammer carefully prise it out.

Any ideas…someone must have done it.

warpcow
    Free Member

The sleeve can be pushed away to the side a little to get purchase on the inner-ring of the bearing. Iirc, there’s just an o-ring around the outside of the sleeve that holds it more or less centered between the bearings. That’s how I did mine anyway. It’s not a lot, but just enough to get the edge of a screwdriver bearing-puller onto.

legend
    Free Member

warpcow – Member

The sleeve can be pushed away to the side a little to get purchase on the inner-ring of the bearing

yup, just move the sleeve to the side and get stuck in

rockhopper70

However you do it, only start the job 10 minutes or so before you are due to go out for a ride.

BFITH
    Free Member

Thats what I thought (after searching here and elsewhere) but mine only gives me the slightest bit (half a mil tops).

BFITH
    Free Member

rockhopper70 – Member
    However you do it, only start the job 10 minutes or so before you are due to go out for a ride.

Get some work done 🙂

legend
    Free Member

More force needed. It’s pinned between the bearings so might take some oomph to move

scandal42
    Free Member

I struggled with this the other day.

Try entering the hub from the side nearest to you with the screw driver and push the inner axle down with the screwdriver pushing against the top of the hub shell for force.

You will get more force on it, try that a few times to loosen it a bit and then carry on with attacking it from the other side with a flat head.

More force than you think may be needed.

*Not my fault if it dies

BFITH
    Free Member

Ok…seems I have to hit it with a bigger hammer…Ill tray again tonight.
    Ta all.

bigjim

I use a 7mm allen key with a sharp end to catch the little edge of the bearing you can. Good smack with a hammer and it will all come out. Don’t forget to put the spacer tube back in before driving in the new bearings 😉

fr0sty125
    Free Member

move the sleeve to one end and then hit the opposite bearing out with a hammer and an instrument of your choice.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Violin?

deviant
    Free Member

Violin?

Genuine lol moment.

chvck
    Free Member

This! Every damn time…

Brown
    Free Member

Really force the sleeve to move. It does budge eventually!

legend
    Free Member

This! Every damn time…

yup, it makes me a strange combination of angry and sad

rsl1
    Free Member

+1 for forgetting the sleeve
    I drilled a flat head screw into a rod to get in the gap, also wedge it in from the other side with another drift

scandal42
    Free Member

Have you broken it yet?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Can the superstar bearing be replaced with hope bearings?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Possibly, but why?
    Just get a decent make of bearing (FAG / SKF etc) that is the correct type for replacing the original.
    Normally the bearings will have a reference number on them. As an example, my Hope XCs take 6001 2RS bearings.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers bigyinn

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Switch EVO front hub bearing replacement…’ is closed to new replies.