• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Duc.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swissstop Road Brake Pads- worth the money?
  • rep341
    Free Member

Right time to replace the Road bike brake blocks, Tiagra pads 5.99,
    decent road pads about £20 for front + rear, SO is it realy worth spending £40 on pads with Swissstop- can almost get new calipers for that!

What you reckon- anyone tried them?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I find the Green pads to be a huge improvement over standard shimano 105 pads, especially in the wet.
    In the dry there wasn’t much difference, although there is still an improvement so it depends where/when you ride.

For me they were worth it, simply because I felt safer and more confident on steep, wet descents knowing that I could actually stop if I wanted to. I wouldn’t use anything else now.

rep341
    Free Member

Thanks!

RickyRah
    Free Member

I’d have a look at kool stop salmons for half the price. I’ve had them on my sunday best for the last 6 months and they’ve been great in all conditions with a good wear rate.

ratherbeintobago

+1 for Koolstop Salmons.

Andy

imn

SwissStop green are around £20 for 2 pairs (i.e. f & r), so don’t work out much dearer than KoolStop etc at ~£7/pair. I used to go through cheapie Fibrax blocks really quick, and didn’t find salmon KoolStops to be any better. The SwissStop are a noticeable improvement in the wet, and I’d definitely recommend.

rep341
    Free Member

Swissstops are 20 each end so 40 all in
    Unless you can alert me to where they sell them f+r for 20 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Pretty sure the inserts are £20 for 4 (ie. both ends) but if you buy with the blocks then they are £20 each end.
    So if you have removable blocks you can just buy the inserts.

phil.w
    Free Member

for just the inserts it’s around £20 for 4 of the green, and £40 for 4 of the yellows. so you can both be right 🙂

if you need the holders they are the same price for 2.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

The swissstop pads will be an improvement over standard pads but the koolstop Salmons are much better than swissstops!

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Swiss stop ‘yellow flash’ are for carbon rims.

Duc
    Free Member

Yes they are worth it but to be honest if you’re on Tiagra Brakes then you are probably just better off with Koolstops or Aztecs as the difference with the flex in the brakes will not be that dramatic – anything though is better than the standard shimano low end pads in my experience.

My Mavic brakes that have swisstop pads in are awesome – shifting the pads to my cheaper brakes they are still very good but no better than the Aztecs I am now using !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swissstop Road Brake Pads- worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.