Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Swiss vote on banning Muslim minarets.
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Are they onto a good thing should the rest of Europe follow suit, their seems to be an awful lot in the news these day about muslims, sharia law and how some factions want laws changing to suit there relgion and beliefs, so where do we draw the line, or should we just tolerate it and except its part being a multi-racial society. Would an islamic country allow church steeples to be built.

It seems in Switzerland the majority have spoken, what would happen if we had a vote like that in the UK.

Olly
    Free Member

if it happened in the uk, the majority of people would either vote it, and get told they were being racist and have it overturned, or think it and vote against it, and tell the people who voted for it to stop being racist.

either way, UK is far to PC.

what happened to "this is the UK, if you want to live here, live by our laws, if you dont like them, take your sharia ass elsewhere"

??
    or am i a racist bigot?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

or am i a racist bigot?

Not in my view!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Tannoy]TJ to the forum please. TJ to the forum please.[/Tannoy]

meikle_partans
    Free Member

waging a war against islamism via architecture???

im pretty sure the only architecture laws should be really about safety, conservation, energy efficiency and not making buildings shaped like giant erect phalluses or something.

Olly
    Free Member

pft, ban all religion.

watched kingdom of heaven last night, which got me onto getting riled about religious types (Dawkins included)

…Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure

tails
    Free Member

I'm not sure on the specific subject. In the UK as a whole I feel we have been very tolerant of the views of muslims and been generous in letting them have a prominent voice. This view is now turning some of my mates who generally don't care about religion, politics etc have expressed being fed up of how there opinion is viewed as lesser than that of a muslim.

kimbers

shows switzerland has some serious issues imho

iots only a building how the **** can anyone object to it, i mean it looks a bit like a penis but other than that you have to be rather racist or seriously misinformed to vote against them

olly not racist just a muppet, our country our rules? where is the rule that says you can only build an 'english' church

obviously you are a devout christian attending church daily because otherwise youre a hypocrite

you are an early contnder for the daily mail political correctness gone mad award of a princes diana comemorative plate, but the thread is young you may have to up your tired rhetoric

jahwomble
    Free Member

They're looking at banning all minarets, not just the Muslim ones.

dmiller
    Free Member

I dont pray and I am not religious, however I think they look pretty cool actually! Some good examples on wiki. I also like the sound of the call to prayer as well.

I feel pretty proud of Glasgow when I see all the various places of worship to be honest. There are racial tensions and every religion has its problems (and any religion that treats woman as if they are not equal to men needs to sort that sh*t out in my view) but banning a type of building? Get a grip.

tyger
    Free Member

I think that some minarets look wonderful but I do wonder how it would be accepted in a Muslim country if Christians wanted to build churches or cathedrals? Tolerance and respect from both sides and for the country itself.

Maybe it's because if I go to Switzerland I expect to see Swiss architecture – likewise if I go to Turkey, for example I'd expect to see minarets.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Some towns have a policy of not building over a certain height.

Would they still apply that rule for a minaret even if it was deemed as rascist

Hope they would, but the loony left would be onto them like a shot with all sorts of mad accusations

kimbers

(and any religion that treats woman as if they are not equal to men needs to sort that sh*t out in my view)

19 " 'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

20 " 'Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 22 Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening.

24 " 'If a man lies with her and her monthly flow touches him, he will be unclean for seven days; any bed he lies on will be unclean.

25 " 'When a woman has a discharge of blood for many days at a time other than her monthly period or has a discharge that continues beyond her period, she will be unclean as long as she has the discharge, just as in the days of her period. 26 Any bed she lies on while her discharge continues will be unclean, as is her bed during her monthly period, and anything she sits on will be unclean, as during her period. 27 Whoever touches them will be unclean; he must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening.

Leviticus 15

from da bible

flippinheckler
    Free Member

trailmonkey

what happened to "this is the UK, if you want to live here, live by our laws, if you dont like them, take your sharia ass elsewhere

Sorry, but what connection does this have to the OP ? Are you one of these people that thinks that every living UK muslim wants sharia law and that terrible paranoia overrides logical response to any other issue that may concern islam ?

or am i a racist bigot?

I couldn't possibly prove that but you do seem to be rather ill informed and narrow minded based on what you've posted above.

dmiller
    Free Member

Kimbers – indeed – they need to sort that out! I didnt mean to imply that I thought christianity was any better than the rest…

Its amazing how girls scare men… 😉

Flippinheckler – I think thats a bit out of order tbh. I dont care what religion someone is and I dont care where they pray but I do care that people have the choice of what they want to pray to and where. Also I doubt in any UK place of worship will you find any higher percentage of people wanting to do you harm than in any random group you pick off the street.

As for having to follow traditions in public in the middle east perhaps thats why people are moving here as by and large most people I know just live and let live. Which is cool with me.

David.

kimbers

i know dave just wanted an excuse to post a bit that bit of insane superstitous hate speak

GSter
    Free Member

How would we tell where we are in the world with a map if there are no distinguishing landmarks?

Get rid of these church towers, mosques, sinagogues, meeting houses (any religious buildings) and lets go for Tesco Hypermarkets instead (great landmarks?)

The world has gone frekin mad!

Olly
    Free Member

obviously you are a devout christian attending church daily because otherwise youre a hypocrite

how the flunge do you work that out?
    seriously, please explain, ive re read the above and cant figure that out.

i have NO problem with the law changing to match changing times, and, different cultures, but for them to say " we want different laws because our made up story is different to your made up story" is just wrong.

ALL religious "rules" are based on twisting parables to suit their own needs of the moment,
    i OBJECT to ALL regions, and i would ban churches as rapidly as i would ban minarets.

bring on the zombies

kimbers

my appologies banning all religous buildings is fine i jut thought you were picking on the poor muslims

id agree as i cant stand religion but churches, mosques, temples etc can be some of the prettiest looking buildings around

westkipper
    Free Member

Islamic architecture is often stunningly beautiful, and impresses me way
    more than any church or cathedral I've seen.
    For that reason alone the Swiss are wrong.

mrmo
    Free Member

define islamic architecture? do you mean the Alhambra palace, the Taj Mahal, the great Mosque of Djenne.

It is like saying Christian you could mean St Peters in Rome, Salisbury Cathedral, St Basils in Red Square, all very different.

There has been a long history of trouble between islam and christianilty, recent events have stoked this mistrust, If you ask the question in this country you might well get the same answer as the swiss have given.

westkipper
    Free Member

mrmo, c'mon man, theres a few people on here tonight that are trying to find insult in the most innocent comments.
    I'll clarify then. I've NEVER BEEN IMPRESSED BY ANY CHURCH OR CATHEDRAL-(Even Gaudi's was smaller than expected)
    On the other hand, The Alhambra, the Taj M, the improvements made to the Hagia Sophia, and even certain small villages in North Africa have a beauty about them linked by a geometry and pattern that is unusual to someone from northern Europe
    Happy now?

crikey
    Free Member

Mecca do lovely Bingo halls….

I'll get me shalwar kameez…..

westkipper
    Free Member

Does that mean the swiss are gonnae ban bingo too? 😀

The king called up his jet fighters
    He said you better earn your pay
    Drop your bombs between the minarets
    Down the Casbah way

Flaperon

Do we actually have any minarets in the UK? Can't remember any on the posh new mosque in Rochdale, and don't think there were any on the one in Leeds (though I lived nearby and found the early morning call to prayer quite soothing, definitely better than church bells.)

tyger
    Free Member

Flaperon – give me church bells any day. Can you imagine Christmas morning with no church bells!!

Northwind

Olly wrote, "what happened to "this is the UK, if you want to live here, live by our laws, if you dont like them, take your sharia ass elsewhere"

It's interesting though, nobody seems to object to the jewish courts in the UK. (the Beth Din) But when it's suggested that muslims might do the same, that's a problem.

2hottie
    Free Member

I find religion of any kind very dull. I can't see the benefit in any of it, to me directly. Who cares about what we each believe in. However the idea of a particular style of law being enforced, which would only benefit a very small number in society, should never happen.

chewkw
    Free Member

If only people just worship at home everything should be fine. So why can't people just worship at home? Why build minarets? Why not simply a hall?

🙄

El-bent
    Free Member

You seriously have to look as Swiss politics to understand. The Swiss Peoples Party(SVP)believe in Switzerland for the Swiss, although they can't quite define what being Swiss is. I'm sure some of you have seen the black sheep poster? The leader of the SVP is a master of using the Swiss voting system to his advantage.

The SVP is dominant in the Germanic speaking regions and voting in favour of the ban While the French speaking regions didn't.

The minarets business is the SVP claiming they are to do with Sharia law. when you consider that Muslims are a minority in most western countries and will be long into the future, Sharia law ain't going to takeover anytime soon.

Sorry, but what connection does this have to the OP ? Are you one of these people that thinks that every living UK muslim wants sharia law and that terrible paranoia overrides logical response to any other issue that may concern islam ?

Exactly. Get a grip people.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just because someone does not agree with Muslims, Christians, Jews or whatever does not make them racist, thats why we are afraid to say anything against them, yet they can freely have a go at anyone who does not agree with their way of life.

Sick of people branding someone as a racist, because they speak out about a community that clearly create their own devisions within our society, yet we are then labeled bigots or racist.

grumm
    Free Member

I think that some minarets look wonderful but I do wonder how it would be accepted in a Muslim country if Christians wanted to build churches or cathedrals?

Surely it's a good thing that we are more tolerant than many Muslim countries – we should be proud of that fact.

Guess how many minarets there actually are in Switzerland? 4 apparently, and this is one of them.

Arghhh the Muslims are taking over!!!!!!!!!!!

MrAgreeable

It's always struck me as a country with a bit of a wonky moral compass, and this does nothing to change that. I like Bill Bailey's suggestion of going into a Swiss bank, asking to open an account, and when they ask what you want to use to make the initial deposit, shouting "NAZI GOOOOOOLD!" 🙂

midgebait
    Free Member

I went off Switzerland when women started to get the vote in 1959. Political correctness gone mad!

stumpyjon

what happened to "this is the UK, if you want to live here, live by our laws, if you dont like them, take your sharia ass elsewhere"

Maybe it should be more along the lines of if you want to live in the UK don't automatically expect to live exactly how you want regardless of prevailing UK customs. The flip side being for UK residents, try and be tolerant of new cultures coming in, if they are not in direct conflict with our existing culture then maybe it will make our joint cultures richer.

Personally I'm very anti organised religion but it has given us some fantastic building both here and abroad which I'd be loathe to lose. Mianrets in the Cotswolds may not be appropriate, middle of Manchester maight be.

Northwind

I agree with you(Edit I agree that the Beth Din should be treated the same way as Shirea courts), IMO I think the Beth Din should be banned. There should not be alternative courts, especially officialy sanctionned ones. I just don't think the majority of people of aware of the existance of the Jewish courts. Certainly some of their law (divorce for example) seems to be fundamentally at odds with our secular law.

beanum

I live in Lausanne in French-speaking Switzerland and it's one of the most cosmopolitan places I've ever been to. I love it. Coming from Portsmouth in the UK which, despite being a port, I found to be fairly racist and intolerant; it's a real breath of fresh air.
    Everyone I work with (a fair number of whom are Swiss citizens) are horrified at the vote and what it might mean for Switzerland's standing on the world stage. It's definitely a country of two halves though, unfortunately, and the Swiss-German majority of the population have a fairly intolerant and racist component.
    Hmm..maybe they should all move to Portsmouth! 🙂

midgebait
    Free Member

What, and have Portsmouth blighted by clock factories, banks and silos full of muesli. What next, making our beloved chocolate oranges triangular!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'm very worried by this thread.

I mean, where is TJ? Really? This is serious. Surely there must be something wrong, he's not been here to post at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Swiss vote on banning Muslim minarets.’ is closed to new replies.