Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Swirly hologram marks on van, anything to remove?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

I think the dealership where my van came from got carried away polishing it before I got it, in certain light you can see marks on some panels, weird 3d hologram swirls. Never noticed when I got it of course and too far up north to go back, not overly bothered anyway but is there a way of removing easily ….. more polishing or somethng? Cheers

bear-uk
    Free Member

It needs machine polishing by someone who knows what they are doing. The swirls are a product of a poor job.

bigyim
    Free Member

As bear said it’s someone polishing in a rush or not knowing what they are doing. It needs to be polished in grades of scratches, imagine it as sandpaper.
    You will need to polish it down the grades to remove the swirl marks.

redstripe
    Free Member

Guess I’d need to find someone reputable nearer home to see if they can go over and do it properly

blader1611
    Free Member

Somebody has polished with a heavy cut compound but not refined it with a fine grade compound. You wont get that out by hand,it will need to be done with either a DA or rotary polisher. They were either in a rush or dont know what they were doing.

zippykona

It looks like they put a new mop head on and not worn it in. Lucky they’ve not gone through the lacquer. Swirl marks are a pain in the arse. The final polish can fill the swirls but once the car goes for final cleaning all the polish gets steam cleaned off and the swirls come back.
    A fine grade compound on a damp cloth and using a stroke the length of the panel should get rid of the marks. It will look dull and you will have to bring it back up with finer and finer polish.

somafunk

Quite a quick job (relatively cheap) for a detailer to remove the swirls but the finished panel may then look out of place compared to the paint condition on the rest of the van – depends if that would bother you, to get the entire van done would be pretty expensive, I recently paid a mate £400 (good mates rates) to give my vw caddy the full paint correction detail (yeah i’m sad but this van has to last me till it dies) and it took him 3 full days and a fair amount of swearing by all accounts. Looked amazing when i picked it up but i then had to help out a mate with a job on his farm and covered it in shite 😀

renton
    Free Member

Holy buffer trails that looks crap.

Where are you based op ?

It needs a da or rotary going over it that does.

A one step product like meguiars ultimate compound or Scholl S17 with a decent pad will get rid of that and leave the paint ready for a lsp

bigyim
    Free Member

Where abouts are you based redstripe? Really needs machine polishing rather than spending hours by hand

redstripe
    Free Member

Dorset/Hampshire border down south, intend keeping it for some time yet so if anyone knows someone good down this way, let us know, cheers

nealglover
    Free Member

I recently paid a mate £400 (good mates rates) to give my vw caddy the full paint correction detail……3 full days

Did he do more than just the paintwork, or is he just slow 😉 ?
    There’s not enough paint on a Caddy for it to take 3 days 😯

somafunk

There is when it was previously owned by Lookers VW as a parts vehicle between their dealerships, 3 yrs old when i bought it but 110,000 miles (which i’m not worried about in the slightest, cost me £6.3k full highline spec and unmarked) but the white paintwork was embedded with all sorts of particles, the final treatment was some kind of ceramic nano protecter – seems to work as road filth just seems to drop off when it rains and leaves the paintwork sparkling.

redstripe
    Free Member

Update – managed to find a local highly recommended bloke who does valets/detailing etc on vehicles, was told he’s very fastidious and a bit OCD about it. He came today and confirmed it as a poor rush job by the dealer using ‘fillers’. Took a good days work to clean, polish and finish properly but now looks billiant. £200 lighter though. And it’s bound to pee down and get filthy tomorrow. Pics, excuse the reflections,

Cougar

Send the dealers the before and after pics and the bill.

Gary_C

It won’t be the dealers fault. It’ll be the body shop who did the shoddy finishing job on the paintwork when repairing the accident damage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Swirly hologram marks on van, anything to remove?’ is closed to new replies.