Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swinley with kids
  • mattg123
    Free Member

I took my 2 boys (6 & 9 years) to Swinley yesterday & did the blue, great fun, the trail builders have done a fantastic job with what they had to work with. The boys loved it so much we’re off back over there in a bit.
    Only thing that spoiled it was some lycra clad full carbon jockeys that thought we were all in some kind of banzai race & felt the need to scythe past me & the kids when there wasn’t room on the trail instead of slowing a bit & letting us move over. Hopefully they’ve decided to have a lay in this morning…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Exactly why I wouldn’t take kids there at weekends.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only thing that spoiled it was some lycra clad full carbon jockeys that thought we were all in some kind of banzai race & felt the need to scythe past me & the kids

Nice work guys 🙂 hope they are proud of their work there….probably the same people who shouted down taking dogs there as it would be too dangerous as they like to ride like it’s a race.

jon773
    Free Member

I had my son there yesterday , he is 8 yrs old and we did blue and the second half of the red. He enjoyed the downhill section that starts at the reservoir so much that we rode back up and did it again.

Overall people were polite and a few riders on the red we’re impressed with how well he was doing.

We pulled over for a few riders and they thanked us. So must just have been two desperate riders you met, as in the 3-4times I have taken my son we haven’t had any issues.

tonyd

Exactly why I wouldn’t take kids there at weekends.

Other way round IMO. If you want to ride at race pace then Swinley on a weekend is not the place for you. Through the summer months it’s going to be chock full of families and slow coaches so what’s the point in getting yourself frustrated?

TiRed

I love thrashing around at race pace as much as the next lycra-clad skinny whippet. But you know what, I get more enjoyment following a young child and watching them learn and giving them advice. My boys are older and a little faster now, but trying to push past, really! There are 17 passing points on the blue route already 😉

If you want fast times go at 7PM of a wednesday.

br
    Free Member

Only thing that spoiled it was some lycra clad full carbon jockeys that thought we were all in some kind of banzai race & felt the need to scythe past me & the kids when there wasn’t room on the trail instead of slowing a bit & letting us move over. Hopefully they’ve decided to have a lay in this morning…

When my 3 kids were younger I’d always sit at the back, been very wide 🙂

Plus at Glentress and the like we’d wait for a gap and then I’d let them all go, while telling the next guy in line to give us a few minutes as no matter how quick he caught me up I would not be letting him by. So he’d have ‘wasted’ his climb.

Not that the kids were particularly slow, just didn’t want some idiot trying to muscle past them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Its great to see kids enjoying Swinley and coping with the blue and the red (that’s great riding by your son Jon on that section). Sadly, there will always be some conflict especially at weekends. One can only hope that all riders simply show courtesy to those around them (including bloody gel wrappers 🙁 )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Plus at Glentress and the like we’d wait for a gap and then I’d let them all go, while telling the next guy in line to give us a few minutes as no matter how quick he caught me up I would not be letting him by. So he’d have ‘wasted’ his climb.

Used to get that at the top of spooky wood a lot. Trying to explain that you were leaving a gap so not to catch people (my gf mostly) took more patients than the waiting some days. Every so often one or two would push or jump in then try and push their way past the slower people. It was one of the reasons I stopped going there on weekends. Shame really people could do with chilling out if you want to race or train go very early or late but still be prepared to wait or go slow.

mattg123
    Free Member

Another great ride this morning with only 1 strava fueled wally all the way round, everyone else was complimentary of the boys riding & more than happy to wait till we could let them by safely. It’s a fantastic place for the kids to learn the trade, Jake (9) was out front having a blast with some other groups we encountered while Joseph (6) was getting more confident & loving the sweeping berms. A massive well done to all involved with the trail building !! Fantastic mornings entertainment for the £2 parking fee:-)

shotsaway
    Free Member

I went to Swinley this morning. I got there early to miss the crowds and rode the blue, red and green. Swinley seems to be a bit of a magnet at the moment and by the time I got back to the end of the blue the place was packed and I mean packed!. I saw Strava KOM warriors, familys, beginners, all the gear no idea riders, BSO riders, groups of blokes, groups of girls, couples, wide boys in track suits, fat blokes, fit girls and loads of kids. I pulled over for some riders, other riders pulled over for me. Everybody seemed to be enjoying the new trails and most were having fun. I saw young kids finishing the green and asking their parents if they could go again?

Yes it can get busy (i followed a girl/lady on a hybrid through Blue 1 and 2 – whats the rush?) but Swinley seems to have got it right and from what I saw this morning, I think the next generation of riders are being groomed by the Swinley Trails! Just when I thought road riding was going to take over the world, Swinley has made me realise that there is a future for mountain bikes.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Other way round IMO. If you want to ride at race pace then Swinley on a weekend is not the place for you. Through the summer months it’s going to be chock full of families and slow coaches so what’s the point in getting yourself frustrated?

Yeah, fair point. I’m speaking from the point of view of someone who won’t ride there himself apart from weekdays,evenings or early mornings. The place just gets far too busy, and IMO is full of strava warriors. I use strava but have a hard rule about not ruining other people’s enjoyment in search of a PR or KOM. Unfortunately I think I am in a minority.

Really looking forward to taking my 8 year old over there in half term.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swinley with kids’ is closed to new replies.