Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Swinley today, 23rd June ?
  • weeksy

Anyone fancy a bit of late afternoon fun ?

I’m meeting some mates at 6pm, but can get to Swinley for 3pm for some pre-riding fun.

Anyone fancy it ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

What kind of ‘pre-riding’ fun did you have in mind? I’m broadminded. Just ask Dave.

weeksy

I was thinking of pushbikes rather than bareback mountain type stuff dude 🙂

I’m fairly easy on plans, I’d happily go over to the jump gully and play for a while as that’s my likely plan if I’m alone, but also happy with some blue/red/blue … or … well, anything 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

The last time I innocently posted something along the lines of your post I got mercilessly ripped to pieces (all very entertaining mind – search for the ‘Dave Bromance thread’.

Enjoy the sun and the, ahem, riding. I will be working sadly.

ska-49
    Free Member

I would but sadly I only have a HT which is no good for Swinley 😉

weeksy

If it’s the HT I think it is, you can ride my MetaAM29 all afternoon 😉

Tiger6791

ska-49 – Member
    I would but sadly I only have a HT which is no good for Swinley

You can use a HT round Swinley but I wouldn’t recommend it.

thepurist

You can use a HT round Swinley but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Yeah you don’t want to be underbiked for that rock(*) garden on Stickler 😉

(* – rock, as in singular)

weeksy

I think arguably it’s 3 rocks… but only 1 you jump off 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Another slacker half dayer from Weeksy………… The rest of us will keep the country going, you just don’t care 😀

weeksy

Nah, I get in early… work through lunch, finish at 3.30 🙂

I wouldn’t ordinarily do a Monday but one of the blokes who I’m riding with also has a kid at the same as my boys Judo class, so his missus is taking my lad home until the wife picks him up.

I was doing all my work at 6.45am… honest guv.

weeksy

It went so well, then so so badly. Landed jump 2 crossed and smashed myself up. Spent 3 hours in A&E getting xrays, suspected fractured collarbone/shoulder. All clear. Morzine is canned from a riding perspective, will at all be on trip but not riding.

Shame is, jumping was going well, I was taking the steeper approaches and more height/distance. Although I was getting jump 3 way too long and landing after the downslope on the flat at times.

timidwheeler

Mate, that really sucks. My heart goes out to you.

weeksy

Well, there’s simply no possibly way I can ride on this trip to Morzine this weekend. I’ve got about 10% movement, anything more than that is screaming agony. I’d love to mtfu but there are limits as to how much that actually works. I guess I need to now consider the possibility of me not going at all.

thepurist

Ah bollix!! Trouble with the jump track running so fast at the mo is it’s easy to get carried away – which line on the 2nd jump?

May I suggest many therapeutic beers in Morzine. (IANAD 😉 )

weeksy

Left side, so you’re crossing slightly right as you line up for 3. Which is where it all went wrong. I’d taken the same line for 8-10 runs before that, but this time it obviously wasn’t quite right.

njee20
    Free Member

Ohhhh weeksy, I fear you set this up yourself:

Tonight I’m off to Swinley forest, to the jump gully, there’s 2 jumps with higher/steeper entries and I must admit, I’m a bit scared about attacking them instead of the slightly easier entries… But… I’m pretty sure after a few warm ups i’ll just hit them and think “it’ll be fine”… I’m sure it probably will be,

Heal fast!

weeksy

Can’t argue with that, but was fun until it went wrong.

weeksy

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Left side

eeeeeee(squirms)…………..

That’s not a nice landing to mess up, hope it heals up quickly.

maxtorque

Get Well Soon Mate! I don’t really like the jump gulley at Swinley that much to be honest. And the “floor” of it drys out like concrete too in the summer……..

weeksy

I think because of the way it’s laid out it’s not the best place to learn I guess, you carry too much speed from Jump 2, so if you hit jump3 without a feathering of the brakes you’re flying way too far over the back of jump 3, then if you’ve done that you’re probably carrying too much speed for jump 4 too.

However, I’m happy you know, weird as it sounds. If someone had told me I’d crash and slightly hurt myself clearing doubles and tables, I’d have taken that in a heartbeat 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve had a play there, I don’t much like it either. It’s not really built or maintained as such. I always prefer to ride with people you can watch when attempting new stuff to get an idea of speeds etc. Healing vibes and get yourself over to a Nirvana Freeride practice one Saturday when you are better.

marky29er
    Free Member

More importantly how is the bike? (fellow meta am 29 rider here)
    Did you get back to the car ok, recover the bike? A free helicopter ride?
    All these things I worry about when riding alone, it would also freak me out to come across someone who had crashed & was in a bad way.
    I dont enjoy the jump gully either, maybe 25 years ago.
    GWS btw.

weeksy

1. Bike is perfect.
    2. Yeah, cycled 1 handed back to car
    3. Then drove to A&E, was my right shoulder/arm so can still change gear. I’m also left handed which helped.
    4. There were 2 lads there. I wouldn’t have done the bigger stuff alone

OK ok, so I get the idea… I’m too old, too fat and too old… hindsight, a wonderful tool.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Swinley today, 23rd June ?’ is closed to new replies.