Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Swinley Sunday?
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Does anybody fancy riding at Swinley on Sunday? start from the look out about 10.30?
    I don't know the place well, have ridden there a couple of times and enjoyed it, found tank traps, sandy cutting and a fair bit of stuff but would love to be shown around by someone that knows it better, or just have some company while exploring.
    I'll be driving from south london and can give a lift to a couple of others.
    Neil

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Forecast depending I'd be up for that, too local to make it worthwhile in the rain as I can ride it whenever I like in the dry!

I know
    -tank traps
    -the labarynth
    -cutting

And a few other random odds and ends but not nececeraly how to stitch it all together into a ride! Could probably do a couple of hours without riding too much of it twice and without a disproportionate ammount of fire road.

Seb_C
    Free Member

Surely any Swinley ride isn't complete without Babymaker? (although it may be known to you by another name).

Tiger6791

Hmmmm I'll see about a pass and if so I'll show ya.

From the lookout up to and not limited to

Corkscrew to
    Satan's Grotto to
    Seagull to
    Stickler to
    Tank Traps to
    Rollercoaster to
    The Wall to
    Labyrinth to
    Jump Gulley
    then home 😀

all Pass dependent, but I'd be up for it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone else think the wall is nowhere near as bad as it sounds, nowhere near as bad as coming from the other side anyway!

Which ones Axel run? IIRC its part of the labarynth allong with babymaker but haven't figured out which one.

Tiger6791

the wall is nowhere near as bad as it sounds

Nah, it's just steep and short and not much grip and gets me up to max heart rate.

on the easy side it doesn't take more than 2-3 mins to get up

You are going up it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We're talking the gravely fire road climb before the labarynth (as if you've come from tank traps? tv mast on the right)

Or the similar climb if you were aproaching the labarynth from the South (TV mast on your left) which is much much steeper/longer.

Tiger6791

exit labyrinth, turn right

Follow fireroad

it turns right and then steep up (the wall)

Top of Labyrinth is now on your right again

cinnamon_girl

Will probably be over there on Sunday. If you hear any shrieking/swearing, ride in the opposite direction. 🙄

neilnevill
    Free Member

The locations sound familiar from my ride there on sunday, I suspect I've ridden some of what you name and it would be good to learn the trail names. I only know sandy cutting and tank traps…as…well, they are obvious!
    (fairly sure I did the wall and labyrinth)
    found a load of stuff near the reservoir and where the harry potter filming was going on too.

metcheck forecasts dry with sunny spells currently….so expect rain maybe.

thepurist

Tiger – AIUI the wall is usually the name given to the short but steep(er) route up from the other side of the clubhouse (so labyrinth would be on LHS from that).

What do you call Satan's Grotto – the twisty bit of wood with 2 dips (one boggy) in it that is N of the Seagull?

Tiger6791

Satan's yep short bit just just before top of Seagull.

The Wall is the very short, very steep one I thought

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They're both steep, but exit labarynth R, then R again is by far the more deserving of the name, but not ridden as often as most people go left and left and left again to get back up.

martinh
    Free Member

Satan's grotto = mordor = twisted sister

atlaz
    Free Member

I'd be up for it if I hadn't stopped my fall off the side of the DH at Cwmcarn by throwing my head and chest at a tree.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Sounds like we have a ride 😀
    Is there a good spot at the lookout to gather? It'll be busy if the waether is any good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'll be on a blue 456 with magura menja's, probably wearing a really old orange/amber planet-x DH Jersey.

Wont be in the midget though 🙁

Meet under the trees to the left just before the gate going out of the car park towards go-ape

greasystain
    Free Member
    mk1fan
    Free Member

Would have come along but I've got a full day already – Brands Hatch then The Comedy Store.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tinas I thought you were up north somewhere, not down here?

Anyone riding Thursday nights here?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Was in Sheffield untill 2008, now in Reading, parents still live up north though so I'm up that way fairly regulalry.

molgrips
    Free Member

Let me know if you want a spin on Thursday nights.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I'll try and come along, assuming my car is ready by then…..

Still 10.30 ? I'll be on my Soloist

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea I'd be up for Thursday evenings, will get some lights sorted sometime soon as my homebrew ones are failing.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Thursday nights would be good, cant do today but much more manageable than the weekends.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm hoping for unlit rides for the next few weeks at least 🙂

Mind, I am not really local so I don't know it that well. I tend to ride on any trail that looks good until hometime then use the GPS to get back to the car 🙂

mattp
    Free Member

+1 for Thursday but not tonight…. will i need lights 'cos i haven't got any that work at the moment…

molgrips
    Free Member

What time were you thinking of getting back.. it's light til like 9pm at least now.

toab
    Free Member

mind if I tag along on sunday – I could do with getting to know Swinley a bit better.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I might be there. I pick up my pick up on Saturday so will be able to transport bikes again. If you find your cars with Big Bike Bash flyers under the wipers then you know I was there.

Look out for a fat bloke on a fully rigid fixie and then run.

bullheart
    Free Member

I think I might be up for this!

Tiger6791

alas a pass was sought application in triplicate.

result…

Application denied 🙁

viv
    Free Member

ill be up for this, only been 3 times but would like to know a cool route to link all the good bits, ill be on the poncey white lapierre…..

neilnevill
    Free Member

Trees to left of gate going to go-ape, easy

Thisisnotaspoon – midget? were you at the recent North dowms ride? easy group or being ragged by Ngee? I was in the Ngee group, on the maxlight pro, will be riding it again on sunday probably. Oh and I'll dig out one of my mtb-wales jerseys….not many of those in the south east so should make me easy to spot.

BBB, not fixed that sporty foreign thing yet then?

Mark, good lad. See you Sunday 😀

theotherjonv

Might be able to make this and I can string a decent loop together without too much firetrack. Will confirm tomorrow.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yup, in the easy group (B&J jersy with the on one 456)

Clutch bearing went on a drive over to oxford last week so need an engine hoist to fix it now.

modalforces
    Free Member

Yes, I'm well up for this as I've been trying to hook up with anyone to show the the ropes round Swinley and finally actually get some use out of my bike that's been gathering dust since I bought it. Do we all need to wear a pink carnation or something? If not you'll recognise me as I'll be the one with a 2009 trek EX8 that looks brand new as it's been used about twice since last June.

spikyjames
    Free Member

I may be up for this, rekon i can do a route all the way round ish.

just have to sort out what time i get back from the car bootie (the joys of sunday morning)

i'll be on a brand new maxlight xc pro 3 😀 see you at the go ape gate.

James

slartybartfast
    Free Member

I could be up for this, i have rode round swinley a fair bit but would like to see if there is any bits i don't know.

neilnevill
    Free Member

the original maxlight pro was, and still is the best….lovely curvey stays make for a fantastically compliant ride….no need for any of that plastic 😉 I'm not jealous…..not at all 😉

Sounds like it will be a good group of us, should be a fun ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.