Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swinley map (again, sorry)
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A few months ago, someone put a really good Swinley map up on here. I have tried search, and the ride swinley website but can’t find it. I have the Gorrick one and open maps, but if anone can remember the one I am thinking about and has the link to share that would be great.

Thanks. The one plus of being a taxi service to Reading is the chance for a sneaky ride on the way back!

P.s. tout it came from ride swinley, but can only find the photo map there and I want to copy this onto another map to take with me.

thepurist

OpenCycleMap has most of the main trails marked on it.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yeah openstreetmap is the most up to date

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok thanks, I have that one and will mark it up from magazine articles and ride swinley.

Sure there was another one though. I will post it if I find it!

loum
    Free Member

http://www.buckledwheel.com/file/n1240065/swinleysingletrack2.jpg

Think this could be the one, I’m pretty sure I saved it from here so thanks to whoever the originator was.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Brilliant loum, that’s exactly the one I was looking for.

Thanks a lot!

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, nice one. Ta…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s probably frowned upon, but Strava has most fo the good trail marked.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks, just can’t get my Strave version to adjust maps so it’s really hard to follow at the moment. Apparently there is a setting on Rhs on map but I can’t see it on mine.

Marked up various paper maps and now time to explore after trip to Reading!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

First real ride at Swinley (with exception of kids parties), so a real treat today. Just over 4 hours of great routes, getting lost and finally getting knackered. Tried to stick to the WMB Classic Ride (June 2012) for the most part, except return to CP and repeated a few trails. Such contrast in such a small area. Had an early giggle repeating Corkscrew a few times – glad I didn’t know about the little early drop off (my current mental block). I think you have to work harder here than most of S Hills, due to the frequent ups and down and lots of berms, min drops, roots etc which keep you busy on a HT. Enjoyed Seagull and Tank Traps (4x) and still cant work out Stickler – where did that go!! Got a bit lost around the reservoir and turned too early on LHS when trying to find Deerstalker. But fun trails in that area as well. Suicide Gully (?), Deerstalker and Labyrinth all great fun – imagine if D’stalker was longer!! After 3 and a bit hours, I found Labyrinth surprisingly tiring. No idea of the names on the trail on the way home but loads of berms and the odd energy sapping little climb. Wishing I was on a FS by the end.

Thanks again loum for that map – I superimposed that and the WMB route (a little dodgy) on to Open Street and seemed to work reasonably well. Thanks also to the two really nice guys who I met on D’staker (Stumpy evo and Giant Trance). Very kind of you to show a tired bloke the best way home from D’stalker.

PSA: do not buy annual pass now. Lady in the Look Out told me that when CP charges are introduced (Sep 17 2012), the CP fee covers riding and permits are being scrapped. No harm in donating the annual pass fee given the great work the trail builders do, but no longer necessary after Sep 17.

Can’t wait to get back, but surprisingly tired now!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I find Swinley much harder work than SH as every trail seems to be as much up as down, could be the perfect venue for dropper seat posts

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambalaya, we will have to get over there together soon (especially as its much drier than SH). You would have giggled at me as the first ST had a steepish roll in, then the mini drop off that took me by surprise on corkscrew 😉 All at the start of the day! Really good fun.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swinley map (again, sorry)’ is closed to new replies.