• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by m0rk.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Swinley, is it worth a 3hr round trip or
  • xterramac
    Free Member

is it now a cannock style braking bump fest and too busy to keep your flow going?

faustus

I’d say not worth the round trip, I live 30 mins away and rarely go. In general it is pretty flat and pedally so not much flow to be had. Hard, dull gritty-gravel trail surface that sits above the ground creating adverse cambers in annoying places, braking bumps, and very busy at times.

xterramac
    Free Member

Thanks mate, will give it a miss then until I’m passing by.

freeagent
    Free Member

I drive an hour to get there (from Orpington) 2/3 times a year, but this is purely to meet a riding buddy who lives in Marlow, and Swinley is a good place to meet.
    If we both lived in Orpington, I doubt we’d go.

I do quite like it though.

weeksy

I’d say YES. It’s better than driving to Afan these days.

jameso

I’d disagree with the first reply, went there for the first time a few weeks ago and found it flowy and fun, loads of grip when wet and catcher berms making speed maintenance easy. Well built trails imo. Generally pretty smooth going. It’s pedally and hard work if you want to go fast but only in the way thetford is.

1.5hrs drive? Worth it occasionally, particularly if your local trails are boggy. I was pleasantly suprised as I wasn’t expecting a lot. It’s not tech, I was on a rigid SS and enjoying it, one of those places that would be fun on most ‘normal’ bikes. Sunday was really busy within a mile or 3 of the cafe but further out it was fine. If I lived locally I’d be very happy to ride there in the summer evenings, nice spot.

sm
    Free Member

I live 30 mins away and generally spend between 2-3 hours there on a Saturday morning. Yes the braking bumps/damage is appearing at the moment but its still fun and there is enough to test my skill level.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Go for it, I really enjoyed it the first time I went. Fast and flowy sections with lots of berms. Not particularly technical but it was a nice change from other places I ride.

akira

It’s my current fat bike tyre pressure testing ground, it’s quite fun and can be hard work if you want to peg it round.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

it’s the backup ride location of choice for me. can’t abide riding axle deep in mud so the drive from bournemouth is worth it to avoid boggfest.

plus there’s berms.

😉

xterramac
    Free Member

ok it sounds worth a look then, our works party is on a Friday night this year so will give it a hit on the way home (next day) Thanks all…………

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m eqidistant from Swinley and the Surrey Hills. I just don’t bother with Swinley any more, used to do weekday rides in the summer but even that seems a bit too much effort given the riding to be had elsewhere. I find the surface weird and the trails a bit meh…

Legoman
    Free Member

If you’re going on a Sat morning it will be busy unless you get there early.
    Car park opens at 7, will be packed by 8.30/9.00 if it’s not raining – not everyone will be on the trails though as it’s shared with the non-MTB facilities.

Worth it though – I regularly do 45 mins each way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’d say it depends what else is 3hrs round trip or less away

MrWoppit
    Free Member

They’ve done a good job given the minimal elevation.

I made the effort and took the 2-hour (train) journey there earlier this year (before my argument with the planet surface) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s nowhere near the grandeur of the Welsh trails like Afan of course, but worth doing at least once if your feeling like a non-extreme fun hour and a half or so in the woods…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’d say it depends what else is 3hrs round trip or less away

+1

chiefgrooveguru

The best bits are great! Unfortunately there are quite a lot of dull bits in between. My view may be prejudiced as I’ve only been once and that was after two days of uplift at Antur and BPW… 😛

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I went there for the first time a couple of weeks back… and I would definitely go again. The car park was rammed – but out on the trails it was not too crowded – you would come across some big groups, but I rarely felt held up (maybe I’m just very slow).

There’s not much overall elevation, but there are plenty of flowing sections, and I really enjoyed the ‘old’ DH trails which they have kept (over by Labyrinth). Went with friends – we all had a good time.

DT78
    Free Member

Travel a couple of hours there once every month or so. I enjoy it. Worth it once a while, but as above depends what else is within the same ‘range’

tymbian
    Free Member

I travel down from Banbury which is approximately 1hr 20 each way and I really enjoy Swinley. Go, you won’t regret it. Do the blue, then half-way through you can turn a left, do the red the complete the blue. I prefer it to Cannock.

Where are you travelling from?

wiggles
    Free Member

Might have to give it a go when I am down that way at Xmas, oh damn that means spending time away from the outin laws 😉

Anywhere else worth considering within an hours drive of high Wycombe?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wiggles Peaslake in centre of Surrey Hills or Woburn are both an hours drive from High Wycombe.

shortcut

Personally i think it depends on how bad where you live is.

There are better options on the Surrey Hills, in Wales and elsewhere. Swinley is fine but it isn’t spectacular and is based in a generally flat forest. When wet it does eat your bike.

timidwheeler

Wycombe is in the middle of the Chiltern Hills. Loads of riding round there.

timidwheeler

Also Aston Hill is only a 20min drive from Wycombe.

jameso

Wycombe? Could ride from your door. Head out to the Ridgeway around Chinnor-Princes Risborough and use that as a guide to get towards Wendover. On the Wycombe road going N-W is Bradenham, there’s trails from there too.

xterramac
    Free Member

Well I went yesterday on my way past as planned. What a pleasant surprise it was!!!! (apart from the toilets not opening until 10am, wtf? don’t they understand, a lot of men turn up to ride there in the mornings and normally after a strong coffee)
    Anyways, rode the blue a couple of times, once including the red extended loop. Enjoyed the main sections and think its gonna become a regular stop off when in going past for work in the future. Dare I say,its better than Cannock???????????

Trimix
    Free Member

I went there last Sat as I was driving past and thought Id find out for myself what its now like. Rather than rely on the internet for an opinion.

I had fun and will go back when my normal riding spots are a muddy mess.

I wouldnt go there in the summer, but right now its its a guaranteed good blast. I also reckon as a night ride it would be great fun.

gee
    Free Member

It’s got so much busier in the dark evenings… I used to have the forest to myself after dark but not any more!

m0rk
    Free Member

Went today, did a set of pads but the Fatty lapped up the stoney surface

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Swinley, is it worth a 3hr round trip or’ is closed to new replies.