Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Swinley green suitable for a 4yr old?
  • spacemonkey

Monkey jnr has been hacking around local parks on his Islabike 16 having spent 18 months honing his “skills” on a balance bike. Am thinking of letting him loose on the Swinley green but not sure how suitable it is. He’s pretty decent for his age (IMHO of course) but could learn to use the rear brake some more.

So would the green be alright for him? I’d be running alongside – not gonna bike it. Only asking because it’s a 40 min journey each way. Ta

mudmuncher

Should be ok if he has mastered the brakes.

Nothing too steep but he could run up to quite a fast speed if he didn’t know to use the brakes.

Plenty of fire roads to ride on too.

DT78
    Free Member

Yep he will be fine. It’s usually pretty quiet whenever I’ve been there. I tend to use it for a quick warmup / down loop. It’s pretty short so unless you plan to go round it a couple of times it might not be worth the journey. There is a kids thing in the centre though which he might like, and a swimming complex across the road

njee20
    Free Member

I had a mooch to see where it went and I think it took 6 minutes, I’d hope I was slightly faster, but it’s just some flat double track in the woods – take him somewhere more local I say

spacemonkey

Yeah, it’s only a mile or so long but if he likes it then a 2 or 3 loops might be sufficient. Just figured that if it doesn’t demand too much “high” speed braking then it would be a pretty good (smooth/clean) trail as opposed to the more hilly/rough stuff here in Surrey’s finest hills.

The playground might come in useful too.

Ta

GDRS

I would second the fire roads as an option to get up some confidence – and you can ride together. There are lots of flat sections near the car park and the trail head.

tonyd

He should be fine. My two have been on there from about 3 on balance bikes and now at nearly 4 and 5 they’re pretty confident on their pedal bikes. As above, so long as he’s OKish with his brakes he’ll be fine. If he’s not he’ll soon learn to use them 🙂

Fireroads are a good option too, and the playground is good. This time of year is a good excuse for a post ride hot chocolate from the cafe too.

If it’s a 40 minute drive then I’m not sure I’d bother though, there must be plenty more local.

Oh, if you’re going to come over I’d try to pick a dry day – haven’t been on the green for a little while but in general over there when the trail wears you get some decent sized stones uncovered, could be a little slick for tiny tyres and unsure braking. You don’t want him coming off and deciding he doesn’t like it.

natrix
    Free Member

If he gets on well with the green you can do the first section of blue to the fire road, then alongthe fire road to do the last section of the blue back to the start. No harder than the green and about the same length.

johnny

He should be fine- my eldest did it when she was 4. I would disagree with the comments about it being a waste of a drive, as you can do the green, the first and last sections of the blue, and it has a good playground- although the cafe is a bit crap… It also depends if you know where to ‘cut into’ some of the trails, but we now also ride most of the stickler (the flat bermy section) and some singletrack. If it’s dry, you can easily make it into a day out. Take your bike, and after riding with the little ‘un, leave him in the playground with mum and go for a blast of blue/red/blue…?

spacemonkey

Handy info chaps!

Am now thinking I’ll ride with him as he might then feel we’re more “equal”. IIRC the Blue includes a few “climby” bits at the beginning? He’s only just turned 4 and doesn’t yet have the strength for out of the saddle pedaling so we’ll just have to see how he gets on. Happy to give it a shot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

40 min journey each way.

There has to be some local bridleway action you could get him on instead. Surely!

njee20
    Free Member

I do agree with CFH! The blue would likely be too much of an undertaking, but you could do the first part and double back easily enough, that’s pretty flat.

spacemonkey

We’ve done a lot of BWs and parks around here. The next step up means venturing around Leith Hill, Pitch, Peaslake, Box Hill etc. But the ST is Way too hilly/technical/dangerous for him and the BWs are also generally too hilly. Sometimes he just loves the speed and leaves his braking late – easy to get away with in a park but not in the Surrey Hills.

Hence letting him loose on some flattish, purpose-built ST that encourages better flow.

EDIT: I wouldn’t normally be keen on spending 90 mins in the car just to see him ride for 30 mins. Am hoping he’ll get into it + the playground is always there as backup.

kimbers

Well worth it IMHO
    Got a great playground there too

My kid loves it
    Watch out though a gentle slope into a smooth bermed corner is in fact a mean launch ramp with a kicker for a toddler on a brakeless balance bike
    Kimbers Jr got some air on his first trip but it ended with a mouthful of dirt and grazed palms, and a bollocking for dad

With that in mind, these come in xs http://m.startcycles.co.uk/clothing/other/gloves/scott-youth-aspect-fingerless-cycling-gloves-1.html

peabrain
    Free Member

I don’t think a 40 minute drive each way is excessive. Wait til he starts wanting to do races and you will find yourself driving 2 hours each way for a 5 minute race…

You’ll probably find you do a wee loop, stop for food and a play then do another wee loop. That’s almost a whole days riding there 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Swinley green suitable for a 4yr old?’ is closed to new replies.