Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • swinley freeride
  • mahalo

is it open yet? can not see any recent updates except the ibikeride website says the project is on hold, but ive no idea how up to date that is… any locals got lowdown??

i had a ganders at it last summer and it looked pretty much finished to me but the runs were chained off.

oldeh
    Free Member

its still on hold. and looks like its probably not going to be opened at all atm.

weeksy

Apparently a Jurno or 3 came over to ride it, decent riders with lots of skills, one lobbed it and broke bones. Crowne Estate then said “WTF, why would we open it to the public if pro riders break bones on it”

cokie

🙁 I’ve been looking at it longingly for 2 years now?!
    Looks like some great lines and good use of the elevation.
    Why not cover it in disclaimers like every other ‘bike park’?

oldeh
    Free Member

they should’ve built the smaller stuff first. they had some good plans but built the big lines first which caused the crown estate to get cold feet and now we get nothing. shame.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Because disclaimers don’t mean anything in reality.

Crown Estate are somewhat risk averse, and the likelyhood of the average ‘Swinley Warrior’ spanking themselves is very high, considering the amount of grief the jump gully used to cause with the riders at a fraction of the size.

They probably should have checked the insurance situation before starting the build…

joebristol

From the bottom there’s (to me) a huge drop down jump with logs holding up the drop bit – looks quite extreme – especially in comparison with the rest of Swinley. Plus it’s right next to the main centre where you ride out from – could well see a lot of injuries to people who shouldn’t really be riding that sort of stuff.

Perhaps it needs to be toned down a bit so it can be finished off and opened. Put in some chicken lines etc / make big stuff that can be jumped or rolled. That would probably suit more riders and the location better.

Not that many people are gnar enough for what it looks like has been built.

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s too gnarly for me at my age…. my bones don’t mend like they used to but I think it’s a real shame for the younger riders.

Proximity to the lookout is surely a bonus for the ambulances… which presently means most more serious injuries take place as far from roads as is possible…

The kids will keep jumping…. regardless and some of the jumps over round axle run are big but have trees… so I understand the reluctance but think it’s a huge shame and someone will probably die or have serious injuries the ambulance can’t get to because they don’t open it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘swinley freeride’ is closed to new replies.