Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Swinley Forest Trails no longer open to MTBers?
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

I knew that some new easy blue trails have opened lately, starting from the Lookout (rode it the other day as it happens), but the Gorrick website is now reporting that this and the fireroads will now be the ONLY trails which we are allowed to ride, and that all of the other ones will be demolished or otherwise off-limits:

A single direction cycle trail loop in Swinley Forest starting and finishing at The Look Out Discovery Centre has been put together now and together with the fire roads will be the only trail available to cyclists from April 2013. We understand that all the other single track trails through the Forest will be stopped up, blocked or grubbed up, as cycling on these routes will no longer be allowed. Forest rangers will be patrolling the Forest to ensure that cyclists keep to the new marked trails at all times.

http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/index.php

As a side-effect, the permit scheme will no longer be in operation.

Please tell me this is not an April fools?

Ewan
    Free Member

It’s not an april fool.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s not an April fools.

Surely you want us to tell you it is an Aprils fool though?

Alejandro
    Free Member

Surely you want us to tell you it is an Aprils fool though?

Ah, this is what I meant.

theotherjonv

I think you posting this instead of searching back through the forum for endless discussion on it is more likely to be the April fool.

Alejandro
    Free Member

I think you posting this instead of searching back through the forum for endless discussion on it is more likely to be the April fool.

Don’t get too upset; apologies for any offence caused!

unklehomered
    Free Member

This/that is/is not an april fools.

theotherjonv

In all seriousness – yes, the suggestion is that the existing trails that are not part of the red and blue loops (and a lot of them are) will be gubbed up. Whether that will last – much like redlands or the hurtwood, it’s a tough task for the rangers to keep everything permanently closed – time will tell

Rode blue on Saturday and was very impressed.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think the crux of the matter is to go & ride the new trail & then form an option…

As someone whose raced & ridden in Swinley I’m sure there will be trails that will go that I’ll miss, but I do understand the reasoning why. I shall wait till I’ve ridden the new trail before commenting on what’s happened.

singletrackmind

They are already grubbing up the old singletrack very effectively. This is not like Hurtmore where they put a few branches across . They are almost ploughing up entire secions of the forest .
    Eventually it wil be like most other trail centers. Accessable to all , and the thrill factor will be down to speed / balls.

If you mince round it it will be fine, and a dryish day out. If you blast it will be alot more exciting and the potential for pain is still there.

The forest used to be a little bit niche , in that you couldnt just turn up and find all the ST , or find a small area away from the crowds. NOw anyone can turn up , and find all the singletrack. and all the crowds

timidwheeler

Is Swinley accessible in the evening? Now it is lighter, I would like to get some evening rides in. Hopefully avoid the crowds.

gee
    Free Member

There are two trails I’ll miss, maybe 3. The rest of the old trails were so cut up and wide that they were ruined anyway. Plus the new trails more than make up for the 3 that will be lost.

GB

TiRed

Is Swinley accessible in the evening?

Car park closes at 8:30 PM now. I rode the blue route from 6:30-8:00 last night and managed a reasonable 31 min lap with Son. Sub 30 minutes will require evening rides, based on my first visit. It’s going to get busy.

And yes, it was nice to see some of the old trails, that have really suffered, brought back to life. The use of altitude is impressive too, given the site.

oceandweller

i live about 10 mins ride from swinley forest & ride there several times a week. yes, the new trails are great but they’re also kind of, well, dull — predictable. as in, because you know it’s all made trail & it’s rowan sorrell’s job to make the trails consistent, there’re never going to be any big surprises round the next bend. the blue trail won’t suddenly deliver you to the top of a cliff.
    one of the things i loved most about riding in swinley was going there & just choosing trails @ random until my legs got sore, then i’d get out the compass & take fire roads heading north to get back to the lookout. every time i’d discover someplace new, & every trail had to be respected coz some of them would have big surprises, like you’re bumbling along some vanilla singletrack thru trees & then suddenly you’re dropped into a corkscrew gully. fun!
    alas, that excitement’s gone.
    note also that the new trails don’t appear to be entirely finished, especially the red loop. & according to the map there’s a section of black trail on the red loop but the entrance to it has been blocked off every time i’ve been there, most recently a couple of days ago. so i’d guess (& hope) the mtb trails in swinley forest are a work in progress rather than done & dusted to be preserved unchanging forever.
    the good news is the new rules only apply to swinley forest. adjacent bits of crowthorne woods are unaffected so the area of drops & the corkscrew near the small parking area on the crowthorne road are still open. for now — apparently the powers-that-be @ crowthorne woods are following developments in swinley forest “with interest”.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest Trails no longer open to MTBers?’ is closed to new replies.