Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Swinley Forest Trail Centre first timer
  • coomber
    Free Member

Sorry if this repeats threads.. I searched but only found a thread about parking.

Going first time tomorrow and wondering what to expect? Times to ride the red and blue? Does it have a black?

Is it gnar enough for the full face? I don’t tend to get wheels off the ground but if it’s a trail with jumps I like to feel my face will look as it did pre ride.

coconut
    Free Member

Swinley is an easy trail ride and I think best done on a hardtail. It’s very twisty forrest trail through fairly gentle hills. You start at the carpark on the blue run and have to follow this to get to the black section. I thought the black section was overated and easy. The black section is a few hundre meters through tight forrest with a few jumps. You have to ride about 10km to reach the black section. I would still wear a full helmet as the trails are often tight in among the trees and the ground is a hard sandy clay with flints in it and would really hurt if you come off at speed.

I think swinley best suits family riding and XC training.

coomber
    Free Member

Sounds like Haldon. Thanks for quick reply

chiefgrooveguru

Swinley is an easy trail ride and I think best done on a hardtail. It’s very twisty forrest trail through fairly gentle hills. You start at the carpark on the blue run and have to follow this to get to the black section. I thought the black section was overated and easy. The black section is a few hundre meters through tight forrest with a few jumps. You have to ride about 10km to reach the black section. I would still wear a full helmet as the trails are often tight in among the trees and the ground is a hard sandy clay with flints in it and would really hurt if you come off at speed.

Conversely I’d say it’s better on a full-sus because the flat pedally bermy sections get annoying on a hardtail (and I ride a hardtail a lot of the time) and I definitely wouldn’t bother with a full face. I strongly recommend lapping all the interesting descents which start at the same point as Red 20: Deerstalker, Babymaker, etc. Considering how little time it takes to climb back up to the start of them they’re a lot of fun and go on much longer than you’d expect. If you’re riding Swinley fairly fast there are tons of small jumps (or larger ones if you start doubling up the rollers).

m0rk
    Free Member

Not far off. Allow 1-2hrs depending how xc fast you are

You don’t need a FF.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

2 hours is enough to ride the red and blue. 2:30 if you want to session the nicer reds a bit.

You don’t need a full face. Like someone’s said, the jumps are plenty big if you can jump properly.

Take a little bit of food. Banana, energy bar, and 1-2L of water.

deadkenny
    Free Member

coomber – Member
    Sounds like Haldon. Thanks for quick reply

A fair comparison. Though I’d say there’s a fair bit longer riding on Swinley’s official trails than Haldon’s official trails. Haldon red is over in 30 mins or so. Although there are a few rocks there. Swinley has one rock (or couple of rocks stuck together).

Technically, at least on the original plans, there is a black at Swinley. Like Haldon’s black, it’s pathetic and short. Different in that it’s not a downhill, just a short section with a lot of roots. Tamer than it used to be.

A lot more jump potential at Swinley though. On the official routes, all rollable but easy to get air if you want.

A lot of off-piste. You’ll find areas where people rock up with full faces, though not required.

Look out for the new freeride area being built near the start of the blue also. Big is the word!

mark88

I thought the black section was overated and easy. The black section is a few hundre meters through tight forrest with a few jumps.

Where’s the black? I’ve been quite a few times but never noticed it.

strongly recommend lapping all the interesting descents which start at the same point as Red 20: Deerstalker, Babymaker, etc

Definitely do this, there’s some brilliant little trails that all start from the same point. All of them are worth riding then loop back round on the fire road.

thepurist

Where’s the black? I’ve been quite a few times but never noticed it.

Not where coconut thinks it is. It’s on the first red loop, look right at the top of the hill incline after red 5,it used to be Satan’s Grotto but has been tidied up a lot so is more like Santa’s Grotto now.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

So swinley….

The free ride area is still work in progress. Although the original blue route is still open, there is a new blue 1 to the right of the fire road. I suggest sticking to the original one.

Tank traps is unfortunaly closed due to lazy bastard birds (seriously) so when you have ridden stickler (has a little wooden bridge at the end) follow the diversion to the right.

This will lead you to the new red 1 which links up with old seagull. Throws you back to red 5.

Yeah black is not worth it to be honest… It’s crap.

Diversion signs were all pretty clear today so you should be good.

If you have a bit more time, I strongly suggest heading off red 5/6 towards pips seat and find the old stuff such as bomb hole drops and corkscrew.

This map shows all the older stuff, most of which is still there (some of it has become the blue / red ginger motorway)

Anyway, whatever you do…. The most important thing is have an awesome time 🙂

Check brake pads as if it rains overnight, the abrasive ginger will grind them down in no time.

Oh here is link to map

http://www.calcot.plus.com/SwinleySmall5.jpg

coomber
    Free Member

Wow thanks for that. Good pre trip tips these. Really appreciated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest Trail Centre first timer’ is closed to new replies.