Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Swinley Forest now charging to park at the Look Out !!
  • disconoir
    Free Member

Just received this email from Gorrick. Surely it should be free to annual permit holders? Or am I just being tight? With parking I’m now looking at £50 a year or so to ride there.

Dear Permit Holder,

We hope that you have been enjoying the trails in Swinley Forest this Summer, and thank you to those of you who have taken the time to email us with positive feedback about the work that we have done on them so far this year.
    As you may know, from next week Bracknell Forest Borough Council will be introducing car parking charges at the Look Out.  This does not, in any way affect the need to have either an Annual or Day Permit if you intend to cycle at Swinley Forest.  However, if you do drive to Swinley and park at The Look Out then the following will apply:

·         Annual Permit holders (take your receipt in with you, it shows you have a Permit and confirms your address) will be able to buy a six monthly parking permit from Reception at The Look Out where you will receive a £20 discount on a Parking Permit.

·         So Bracknell Forest BC residents will pay £30 less £20 = £10

·         And Non Bracknell Forest BC residents will pay £50 less £20 = £30

·         Day Permits should still be purchased from our website www.gorrick.com or from The Look Out, this ensures that you have the necessary Public Liability insurance cover to ride, and when you park at The Look Out, if you take your receipt to Reception, your £2 parking fee will be refunded.

We will be running lots of different mountain bike events across the South of England in the coming months, so take a look at www.gorrick.com if you think you’d like to take part.

Regards,
    Gorrick Swinley Forest Cycling

I’m just whinging aren’t I. It’s not that bad really.

monkeyboyjc

its not that bad – but….
    i’m sure the swimming pool car park will get alot more use…..

shotsaway
    Free Member

I tend to park at the Roundabout near Crowthorne Woods. I can see that small car park getting even busier in future. I might spend more time down the road at Tunnel Hill!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hughjayteens
    Free Member

Parking charges being introduced at the swimming pool too and a load of double yellow lines on local roads!

If you actually ever bought a day permit then the parking is technically free with the refund.

br
    Free Member

Parking and Riding are two different things.

tbh I was always amazed that there wasn’t charging at the Look Out, especially based on how busy it is.

wisepranker
    Free Member

its not that bad – but….
    i’m sure the swimming pool car park will get alot more use…..

It would do if they weren’t starting to charge there as well 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good. It’s about time they started charging there. As long as the money will be used for something specific, that is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Epic thread resurection Mr Poddy?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How did that happen?
    It was on my phone screen when I logged on. A 5 month old page? Hmmm?

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps a spam post which has subsequently been deleted caused the thread to be revived ?

tutgareth
    Free Member

I’m confused, had a permit to ride for the last 4years or so… and recenly have been paying the parking fee too… not too pleased but fair enough. I’m was until now under the assumption from what the look out reception lady said… that due to the new parking fee i wont have to renew my riding permit in april….??>?
    i’ll have to find out tomorrow morning….

ps. the car park / trails have never been busier since the introduction of fee’s, thought it would have a detrimental impact tbh..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Keep up! Been done to death this one 😛

The above is out of date. Permits are scrapped from April. You only pay for parking.

Currently you can get your parking refunded if you buy the daily permit or I believe if you wave your annual permit at the desk or something.

PeterPoddy – Member
    As long as the money will be used for something specific, that is.

Bracknell council budget black holes basically.

The Lookout area is leased to/by the council and the parking is entirely to do with them, not the estate. Though they are handing over a small portion to the estate in return. I have my doubts that includes the substantial income they’ll get from parking fines, which they have been very thorough about so far (bearing in mind parking fines are a huge source of income for councils).

allthepies
    Free Member

The permit will be no more once the new trails open up next month.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the car park / trails have never been busier since the introduction of fee’s, thought it would have a detrimental impact tbh..

Given the ammount of free parking arround there I’m supprised.

I can see the attraction for families with young kids wanting to use the playground, but for everyone else?

smoothchicken

Permit holder but never got the email in the OP, but any ideas if we can now buy an annual parking permit? Even at 50 notes it’ll be cheaper than paying each time but obviously not as cheap as the old permit to ride 🙁

edlong
    Free Member

So, how does the getting rid of the permit and just having to pay for the parking thing square with the info in the OP about the permit providing public liability insurance?

Do they not now require public liability cover to ride?
    Do the parking charges cover public liability?

allthepies
    Free Member

You don’t require the liability cover to be able to ride there from next month when the new trails open. The parking fee won’t give you such cover.

One of the reasons behind the new trail setup (the main reason I guess) is to try and reduce the number of people who try and sue the Crown Estate when they hurt themselves. So trails will be one-directional and riding on “non-approved” trails will be discouraged/prevented.

(The Email in the OP is from 5 months ago, things have moved on since then)

deadkenny
    Free Member

smoothchicken – Member
    Permit holder but never got the email in the OP, but any ideas if we can now buy an annual parking permit? Even at 50 notes it’ll be cheaper than paying each time but obviously not as cheap as the old permit to ride

No permit from April.

If you park there the only thing you can buy annually is a parking permit. £100 thanks to Bracknell council! (£80 if you’re a Bracknell resident).

If you don’t park there you don’t need to pay anything.

smoothchicken

I’d rather pay the extra £20 than live in Bracknell 😀 have to find the free parking places then.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Crowthorne parking is free and only a 10 minute ride away, its what I do , mainly because a couple of mates live there mind you. Just opposite Berkshire cycles is a little carpark. Ride to the look out, have tea and cake ( for parking fee money) and ride it off on the way back.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest now charging to park at the Look Out !!’ is closed to new replies.