Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Swinley Forest??
  • orangefatlad
    Free Member

Hi there,
    Thinking of heading to Swinley forest on Saturday morning, which will be our first visit (we normally head north to the Peak). Anybody know if its in good nick? Does it cope OK in the rain?

Thanks

Simon

missnotax
    Free Member

I don’t ride there that regularly, but in my experience it does hold up pretty well in the rain.

I’ll be there from 10am Saturday myself so I’m hoping it’s all ok!!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

aye, not been there myself in couple of months but its usually pretty ok. I’m sure a local will be along to confirm soon.

slimsi
    Free Member

Are you riding 650b? if not then you will not get the max out fo the course…. 😉

timdb
    Free Member

New stuff is ok at the moment, fire roads and some of the older off-piste starting to get a bit claggy though..

gee
    Free Member

The new stuff is splashy but very firm, the fire roads are firm but extremely splashy! Pre-order new brake pads…

GB

deadkenny
    Free Member

The official trails are hard pack rough cobble-like surfaces and hold up well, though a lot of breaking bumps all over the place at the moment.

hatter

Was there recently, the new blue was holding up very well, as was Deer-stalker/Labyrinth surprisingly, much fun to be had.

Anything that wasn’t surfaced (including much of the the red) was hub deep gloop though. The fireroads are still negotiable so you can always bail onto them and work out your route as you go if you end up in a quagmire.

natrix
    Free Member

Watch out for bike thieves and make sure you buy and correctly display a parking ticket (see other Swinley threads, otherwise enjoy it 8)

thepurist

Anything that wasn’t surfaced (including much of the the red) was hub deep gloop though

The worst bit is 4-5 on the red – at the mo it’s probably better to go straight up the fire road from the Lower Star to the Upper Star instead. Can’t think of any of the red that would be ‘hub deep gloop’ apart from that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The official trails are hard pack rough cobble-like surfaces and hold up well, though a lot of breaking bumps all over the place at the moment. and the Red15 downhill section finaly has enough bumps to justify an XC bike

Just my tuppence, the braking bumps massively improve the red and the last half of the blue, theres now an element of skill involved rather than just being a case of “He who pedals, wins”.

Agree on 4-5 though, just avoid it till summer when it was quite fun and drifty!

spacemonkey

Is that red section they were working on over the summer now open? Can’t remember the stage, but it’s the bit that was closed off with a detour (heading left as you went up the short climb).

kimbers

yeah parts of the red get quite boggy but theres only 1 really bad section ime, Im riding on sunday so hopefully will be a bit drier

kimbers

yes spacemonkey but it was closed because of groundnesting birds, its not that exciting anyway
    unless you mean the freeridey section toward the end where they tamed some of the bigger jumps?

timdb
    Free Member

Is that red section they were working on over the summer now open? Can’t remember the stage, but it’s the bit that was closed off with a detour (heading left as you went up the short climb).

The bit after Labyrinth that was shut due to nesting birds? Yes, but it’s nothing special..

coopersport1
    Free Member

Don’t forget it’s impossible to ride with anything less than an Audi and 160mm of 29.27.5 wheeled travel SS. Oh and a full face

But it does hold up well

spacemonkey

Fair enough, ta timdb.

orangefatlad
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s worth a punt.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

These 650b / trail come alive comments on EVERY THREAD are becoming extremely tedious

chip
    Free Member

My ht is currently shod in mud tyres (beavers 2.0).
    Anyone know how these tyres performs on the fast hardpack bermy sections.

Usualy ride swinley on higher volume minion/high rollers which grip very well and just a bit worried that if i leave the beavers on i will lose traction and die.

Anyone ridden the hardpack on mud tyres .

_daveR
    Free Member

Pretty much anything works tyre wise at Swinley. I’m planning to go on Saturday and have a HD front and NN rear.

(Also got an Audi and 29″ of joy ;))

missnotax
    Free Member

chip – I rode Swinley on Trailrakers some time last year and it wasn’t a par5ticularly pleasant experience… Lots of grip going in a straight line but bugger-all as soon as you lean the bike over 🙄

Goldigger
    Free Member

natrix – Member
    Watch out for bike thieves and make sure you buy and correctly display a parking ticket (see other Swinley threads, otherwise enjoy it

If your riding a 26er don’t worry about the bike thieves, as they’re only nicking 27.5 at the moment..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest??’ is closed to new replies.