Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Swinley Enduro
  • kimbers
    kimbers

As well as a good race, trails, organisation etc the hogroast/regae stand was worth it, not sure if it’s ideal recovery food but the pork bap was the tastiest food ever after i finished last year

morphio
    Free Member

Just entered. £45 seems a bit steep, but it’s my first go at doing anything like this on an MTB and close to home, so looking forward to it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Tempted but I may have to see if there are entries available after credit card rollover day next month

thepurist

45 quid for riding on public trails does seem steep. I know they claim some special stuff but as CE are quite particular over what goes on there and the army had a bad experience with their event on Barossa it can only be a few bits around Crowthorne woods.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s a fair argument, you could have a days uplift for less and do way more riding. But I think most of your money is going on the marshalling, first aid cover, timing etc. that makes it a competition. Up to you whether that appeals, I like to have a bit of variety. I even did an XC race last weekend to remind myself how much they hurt 🙂

crankbreaker

I’m in. It is a fair chunk of cash but it’s fun to push yourself against some real timing and real people and the set up of races no doubt takes a lot more effort than you’d realise.

weeksy

For me its not that I think the price isn’t justified, its just too expensive for me to self justify.

scottfitz
    Free Member

£45 for 8 stages works out at £5.63 per stage, most enduros are around £10 per stage. So you could look at it as great value for money!

I’m not a fan of Swinley ever since it was Sorrelled. I raced the Swinduro last year and it was great fun, I have sign up for this year too, really looking forward to racing on some of the unofficial trails 🙂

If £45 is a bit to much you could race the QECP Day & Night enduro just down the road at £40, http://www.moredirt.com/event/2015
    Shameless plug 😯 8)
    But all the cash from the race does go into the trail building fund so its for a good cause.

benpinnick

I think that maybe the Swinduro cash needs to go straight into the trail fund too! Some of the trails that were in that have seen an explosion in use (like New England Switchbacks) since then, and are beginning to look like the trails of old now, defeating the point of the new tracks I guess.

Thats the issue with some of these events is all you do is show the masses where to find the stuff thats otherwise tolerated due to low numbers and it all gets out of hand, especially somewhere like Swinley where people have access easily.

scottfitz
    Free Member

benpinnick – Member

I think that maybe the Swinduro cash needs to go straight into the trail fund too! Some of the trails that were in that have seen an explosion in use (like New England Switchbacks) since then, and are beginning to look like the trails of old now, defeating the point of the new tracks I guess.

Thats the issue with some of these events is all you do is show the masses where to find the stuff thats otherwise tolerated due to low numbers and it all gets out of hand, especially somewhere like Swinley where people have access easily.
    Not sure about other organisers but at QECP we use races as an opportunity to maintain and improve our unofficial trail network.

kimbers

Different set up at swinley to QECP I suppose , both the crown estate & council? involved afaik,
    I know the swinduro organisors help with trail maintenance and work with the crown estate but the whole freeride area farce shows that its not a perfect arrangement currently

pickle
    Free Member

Only ridden it a couple of times but last time I found about 80% of Swinley as dull as ditch water, buggered if I’d pay £45 to ride it again

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s a bit like cool kids and bands, is was MY trail dammit! Go listen to One Direction and ride Stickler.

Much as it’s a fun diversion off the Blue though, it’s still just 3 corners and a drop off (or that plus a sharp climb and a nice flowy decent off the other side). It’s still hardly gnarr though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Enduro’ is closed to new replies.