Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Swinley currently
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Is it still a marsh or worth a cheeky ride tomorrow after work??

J

Tiger6791

Marsh

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

looked bone dry on the bits we walked on Sunday, they were cheeky but well used bits though, no idea what the main MTB bit is like.

nickc

Lots is closed due to Harry Potter filming, lots of the rest is chewed up beyond belief (mostly the usual widening of trails due to folk avoiding puddles 🙄 ). Do it a favour and leave it alone for a while

joolsburger
    Free Member

thanks all.

Tiger6791

Lots is closed due to Harry Potter filming

Nothing shut this Sat when I was there, think they've gone now, all the alu track has gone as well

anjs
    Free Member

Yep forest is wizard free. Was still wet yesterday but drying fast. A lot of the big puddles are now mud baths though so ironicaly although its drying is quite muddy in fact bike was the worst its been all winter. Black Gloop with pine needles thrown in for good measure.

Tiger6791

Black Gloop with pine needles thrown in for good measure.

Give it a few thousand years and you'll have oil then.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

With planning like that, you should start an empire………

(And Goodwins law has been invoked)

Tiger6791

Can't see how we'll get onto Hitler or Nazis from mud and oil.
    oh..
    oh..
    Damn it, clever that Goodwin chap!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The thousand year bit………

On a related note, I cycled past what looked like bunkers on the banks of the Thames whilst out riding last weekend, anyone know if the germans were planning on sailing up the Thames, or were they somethign else? About 6 of them, in a row, all identical in a line of trees. Here

EDIT: damit cant get the link to work, Cycling form Caversham to Pangbourne, just as you pass some houses/farm on the left before you turn right and go up the bridleway (wide unmade road) up into the woods, near hardwick house.

Tiger6791

there's a Bunker over the back of Swinley and Tank traps! maybe 1 ball had his eye on the oil?

giantjason
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon – where abouts is that? Is it along the warren or further on closer to mapple durham?

I ride that route regularily and haven't come across them

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

here http://www.multimap.com/s/zZ1A6T4J

They're in the treeline, just a series of what look like doors sunken into the tree roots.

No idea if its military or not, doesn't have a view of anything but the road, but I guess it could be for storing something or maybe the view was different 90 years ago.

catfood
    Free Member

Just got back, not too bad at all.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – we ride past those bunkers regularly. I think they're WW2 air raid shelters for the staff/occupants of Hardwick House. There's five of them iirc – useful for sheltering in if it's pouring down with rain and you want to stop for a snack. Have you been in them? There's one main room, then a smaller one. They have the bomb-blast proof offset doors as well.

faint
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – think crispedwheel has got it.
    http://www.reading-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4579

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Swinley currently’ is closed to new replies.