Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Swinley blue with kids, route advice
  • mrbotticelli

Hopefully heading out to ride Swinley blue with the kids tomorrow.  

We have ridden it several times in the past but the kids always get a bit freaked out by the descents and berms starting so early on the blue as they aren’t used to riding either and it takes them a while to get backup to speed, they are fine by the end and we often re ride the early blue sections to finish.

To avoid freaking them out and starting the ride with stressed kids and parents (dad will already be stressed by the car parking) I am planning to try and cut across to one of the  flatter sections of the blue to start and then loop back through as many sections as possible, or session the sections the kids enjoy. 

But I’m struggling to work out what section numbers would work well as a route and finding a map with the sections numbered.  I seem to recall section 10 being quite flat and pedally but what other sections are similar escapes me.

Anyone got any suggestions of alternative ways round the blue route and a gps or numbered map showing it?

Cheers

razorrazoo

Blue 3, one of the bermy bits is closed at the moment as the trail pixies redo it (diversion in place). There’s still some on blue 2 though.

Jason
    Free Member

If you want to miss out the first up and down bits then my suggestion would be do Blue 1. At the end turn right on the fire road. Take the first fire road on the left, follow this all the way to the junction at the top of the hill. Pick up Blue 5 (short flat bit of single track), at the end of this go straight on and pick up Blue 9 on the right. This has a an up and down bit in it, but you might be glad of that after the fireroad! Then you get to Blue 10. Follow the trail back from there. You can miss out Blue 9 by following the fire roads, but I am not sure how to describe it.

The Red trail also has some flat sections on that are easy for kids, basically the loop west of Lower Star Point.

mrbotticelli

Thanks Jason, just the kind of info I was after. Razorrazoo, thanks for the trail closure heads up.

Just need to get them going on the flat, pedally berms before mixing in the descents as the enjoy them once they are dialled back in.

Might give the Crowthorne parking idea mentioned elsewhere a go as well.

Happy Sunday riding!

mrbotticelli

Fab afternoon riding Swinley blue as a family, lovely conditions for the time of year and mixing the sections about based on Jason’s suggestion really helped my daughter enjoy it more.

Afternoon not even ruined by the lycra clad strava hero who knocked my daughter off the trail whilst passing without a shout, then almost exchanged elbows/shoulders with me as he attempted to force his way past me on the descent before the climb on 14? And the lovely man who shouted abuse at my wife on 7? as she was blocking the descent to avoid it being spoilt for people whilst my daughter walked part of it.

Most folk where great, encouraging the kids and being generally nice, but there did seem to be a surprising number of folk out this afternoon who seem to think that Swinley blue between twelve and four on Sunday afternoon is the perfect place to prove their epic manliness by riding a bike like an arse.

Anyhow, great afternoon thats being washed down with a G&T whilst the roast cooks.

Hope everyone had made the most of the abulous weekend.

TiRed

Proper riders get more enjoyment watching and encouraging a 7yo ride a challenging course then trying to shave a few seconds off a segment. Well done, sounds like a great afternoon.

I was going to suggest a couple of laps of the green first, it’s not all flat and easy, and I’ve taught beginners to get the feel of the trail before tackling the blue (the first berm can be a bit overwhelming).

mrbotticelli

TiRed, completely agree, love seeing kids and anyone else having ago at something I enjoy…like the folks on hybrids and bso’s that we saw today.

Funnily enough we did do a couple of laps of the green before heading out onto the blue. Always thought the green would benefit from a couple of optional berms or there being a pump track, or examples of what you’ll find on the blue, red, black grades. Have seen similar at Forest of Dean and Coed y Brenin which is useful for gauging people’s ability and getting your eye in or killing some time with kids.

singletracksurfer

Yeah it’s quite a jump from the green to the blue and perhaps needs a suggested shortcut on the blue.

We always do our best to get out of the way of riders approaching but sometimes can’t move out the way fast enough for some strava ****ts who act like complete toss pots. Really, trying to race there on a Saturday or Sunday morning is not the time to set you pb, and swearing at kids!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I was there with the family yesterday afternoon too and only came across one lycra’d up strava arse who had forgotten what manners were. The kids managed another full lap of the blue and got some good comments when they rode past some guys pushing their bikes up the hills!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Swinley blue with kids, route advice’ is closed to new replies.