Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Swinley – blue vs red
  • filks

How much harder is the red trail compared to the blue? I’m not exactly gnnaaarr but can do the blue ok – ie without significant loss of control etc – will I die trying the red or is the step up not too big?

TIA

mattjg
    Free Member

No & no. You’ll be fine, just go at a pace that you’re happy with.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Theres a barely perceptible difference at Swinley, the Blue is quite fast and jumpy for a blue, and the red’s pretty tame. Just less armoured so less consistent grip levels.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

its longer but I didnt notice much difference, perhaps a tiny bit les armoured but really not much difference.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yep no worries and deerstalker is good fun and labyerinth still intrigues me and my sense (or lack of) direction in that bit. I would be tempted to skip the middle of the red these days. Boggy bits plus okish trails after that..

mattjg
    Free Member

Labyrinth’s a great trail, up there in my top 5 I think. It’s a proper ‘red’ IMO – a little bit relentless in physicality and effort (you’re knackered by the end) and you really have to concentrate to get the best from it, without being dangerous at all. But you can’t really cruise it like you can a blue, attention is required.

Legoman
    Free Member

The red is all rollable , so take it a bit steady first time around and you’ll be fine.

Personally I still prefer the blue – seems to link up and flow better. The red has some really great bits (as mentioned above) but some of the links between them are a bit dull.

ChrisI

As the others have said, there’s not that much difference between them if you take your time and keep an eye on the trail properly. Its all rollable and no big surprises. Just take it easy on the fast swoopy bits as there are a few corners that could catch you out – seems to happen a lot on the red, most accidents are on the fast swoopy bits with people going too fast for their skill set.

solman
    Free Member

The red is mostly the old trails at swinley. Definitely not red in my opinion when compared to Wales or similar. You’ll be fine.

Lots of people love the labyrinth, but personally I find it a bit tedious.

Legoman
    Free Member

Which section is Labyrinth – is it the tight twisty bit that exits over a drop, then you take a 90 degree left to continue….?

grilla
    Free Member

Which section is Labyrinth – is it the tight twisty bit that exits over a drop, then you take a 90 degree left to continue….?

Yes.

lucien

I did Labyrinth at night last week for the 1st time, it was most definitely spooky….. 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On your own? That would be creepy.

It’s funny when you hear other riders but never see them on l’rinth. Are they ghosts!?!?

kimbers

watch out for traffic there

just seen this on the swinley FB page

this lady required some assistance when she rolled her mobility scooter

attempting to climb the watership down trail on porridge pot hill near deepcut.

natrix
    Free Member

Nice to see the Berks on Bikes club helping out with the mobility scooter 😀

As legoman says

take it a bit steady first time around

, some of the red sections (25 to 26) can catch you out if you hit them too fast, one lady had 20 fractures and a punctured lung after crashing badly.

theotherjonv

That’s me at the top of the hill. Still giggling today. She was fantastically indefatigable, and brilliantly sweary too – ‘I suppose you’ll be posting that on f***ing facebook’ – oh, yes.

ChrisI

Have they removed the tape from the roll-in/drop at the end of Labyrinth? I have a feeling there were too many injuries there so they taped it off, but its never been an issue in the last 5yrs I’ve ridden Swinley until now apparently.

jim25

Tape still at the end of the labyrinth as of Saturday when I was there.

thepurist

Tape wasn’t there about an hour ago 😉 or rather it wasn’t tied across the drop any more. I thought the trail pixies had just put some fill into the hole that was developing in the run out from it.

flybywire
    Free Member

how would one crash that 3ft drop? steer whilst rolling it?

thepurist

The biggest problem with it is bunches of stoked shred meisters stopping their gnarr-poons to high five each other & turn off their gopros immediately in the landing/run out area. Makes it a tad awkward for the following riders.

montarius
    Free Member

On that note, what are conditions like at Swinley at the moment?

flybywire
    Free Member

i see, tend to ride there at quieter times or time the last 1/4 so that you’re spread-out in the chain.

thepurist

Montarius – pretty damn good at the mo. A lot of the perma-puddles on my route in are almost dry, no bike washing required.

natrix
    Free Member

That’s me at the top of the hill.

You’re a shadow of your former self!! No wonder you sold all that XXL clothing 😆

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Swinley – blue vs red’ is closed to new replies.