Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Swinley Air Ambulance Sunday AM . Walking wounded?
  • singletrackmind

I was doing a little pootle before collecting another drunken ebay purchace from Farnborough .
    Air Ambulance landed at the top of Baby Maker etc
    Was a gaggle of riders around and a rider standing around in a silver survival blanket .
    Didnt hang around as it was far too cold , but I hope he was OK .
    Not sure what he did but must have made it back up to the plateau to get to the air ambulance.

Alot of trails closed for work , and mud / puddles in the usual places . By being selective it was possible to get a good fast ride without too much clag. I thought it would have been more frozen than it was, even at 10.00am

glupton1976
    Free Member

Plenty serious injuries that look nothing on the outside. It is also a wee bit chilly today.

Injury + hypothermia risk + poor access = might be a good shout for an air ambulance.

Drac

There’s demand too, if the service in that area is anywhere as bad as we’re having at the moment then it’ll be crazy. So they may also use them to help out, then of course there’s the details from the caller can often have little resemblance to what is going on. Then there’s the risk factor, if the injury isn’t so bad they can’t walk do we carry them over bad terrain risking ourselves and the patient or ask them to walk?

singletrackmind

Agreed, good valid points .
    trying to stetcher someone down a narrow length of singletrack might result in injuring them even more, and potentialy one of the stretcher bearers.
    I guess he was standing around in a survival blanket to keep warm, rather than lying on the frozen earth.
    Makes a change from the usual jump gulley area of chaos.

I follwed a guy down one section and he was helmetless, just relying on his ‘dreads to keep his skull in one peice. Pretty quick too , i couldnt catch him.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I follwed a guy down one section and he was helmetless, just relying on his ‘dreads to keep his skull in one peice. Pretty quick too , i couldnt catch him.

He was probably a decent rider.

Its the middle aged men who do wear helmets (and knee pads, and elbow pads etc. etc.) that tend to have the problems. ATGNI.

Weasel
    Free Member

It was one of the guys from my cycling club.

I couldn’t attend today’s ride but the news is broken ribs and has some more tests to check for further injuries, plus an overnight stay.

Drac

Hope he mends soon and when he’s discharged make sure you tell him lots of jokes, he’ll appreciate that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve met him before, I think he built a lot of the trails so should be able to ride them quickly!

theotherjonv

Colin’s got long hair but not dreads, and i doubt it was him as he’s far too sensible to ride helmetless.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Around 3 or 3 1/2 years ago I broke some ribs. A couple of weeks later I was sitting on a plinth at uni with my back to the door. One of my mates came in and gave me a proper hard poke in the ribs and it floored me for a good 20 minutes.

I returned the favour with a really good full force double poke in his ribs just a couple of weeks ago.

Moral of the story – dont poke him in the ribs because he will not forget and it’ll hurt you more than it hurts him.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Must resist responding to stupid statements

Junkyard
    Free Member

Moral of the story – dont poke him in the ribs because he will not forget and it’ll hurt you more than it hurts him.my one inch punch is as awesome as my tall tales

glupton1976
    Free Member

Junkyard – you’ve butchered that song.

Andy

Rob should have said – I was riding swinley today 🙁

singletrackmind

😳 Sorry Andy 😳

I didnt think , I could have given you your PDS book back .
    How did you get on , the bridge of near death was off limits so no worries there ? I was on a time limit as had agreed to meet chap with board at 1300.

JCL
    Free Member

“Swinley Air Ambulance” 😆

Pretty pathetic use of an emergency service.

dazanator
    Free Member

I was on the ride with the guy who was air lifted this morning. It was the second more competitive run down Deerstalker that did it, or more specifically the evil tree that jumped out in front of him.

The Ranger was extremely helpful in bringing the paramedics to our buddy and they then directed the Air Ambulance to the clearing at the top of The trails.

Not quite what we were expecting on a beautiful crisp Sunday morning. I for one will be making a donation to the Air Ambulance after this incident I was the third rider behind him and it could just of easily have been me.

Take care out there we’re all just one slip away from a ride in a helicopter.

Daz

nickc

Ambulance in attendance at cannock this afternoon, fella came of a steep set of rocks, bust his leg. I offered to take his nomad off his hands for him as clearly he wouldnt be needing it for a while under the circumstances, least I could do really

allthepies
    Free Member

🙄

thesloth
    Free Member

Here’s the helicopter coming in to land at the clearing at the top of Deer Stalker:

Drac

Needs a soundtrack.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTb_5oPqCys[/video]

stewartc
    Free Member

Damm, that song is now stuck in my head.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I must have missed this incident by minutes… how can a helicopter land without me even noticing it? 😕

wwaswas

Needs a soundtrack.

Every helicopter landing in woodland needs Ride Of The Valkyries playing loudly from external speakers. Fact.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Those air ambulance folks are awesome pilots. Saw the Thames Valley Ambulance land between two of the full rows of parked cars in one of the office car parks out at Green Park in Reading.

The paramedic muttered “bastard” as he walked away from the helicopter, looking at the van roofs not too far from the rotors.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Air Ambulance Sunday AM . Walking wounded?’ is closed to new replies.