Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Swingarm mounted fenders…..any home brew ideas or universal?
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

So the mud is approaching fast and my jacket is White (don’t ask!). Anyone fabricated a homebrew rear swingarm fender? I’d sooner get wet than ride the FXR with a seat mounted rear mud guard! I’m guessing there are no universal options due to variations in design. I am thinking the old FSR Enduro / SX Trail style as pictured…

boblo
    Free Member

Fender? Does it rain in Moab?

aP
    Free Member

Fender? Will you be rolling to the trailhead in your F150? Stopping off at Hardees for lunch on the way home before buying a Schlitz?

jameso

rear Cycraguard without the post mount, zip-ties and a few cuts / file-outs to fit the tubes?

IMAG0752

not a swingarm but gives you an idea. there’s a few holes and a central channel that help fitting. cut length to suit.

allmountain76
    Free Member

boblo, ap….hilarious, lovin your work y’all. Now havnt you both got some mutual nose / ear / beard hair trimming you should be getting on with.

Jameso, the first option is to modify something and the Cycraguard looks a good candidate. Im also looking at some stuff called Kydex which is a heat mouldable sheet a bit like ABS. Just thought a few ideas of some already done might get the ball rolling. Found a few on Pinkbike on DH bikes but more for protecting the shock than the rider…

zippykona

The zefal no mud mudguard is a good place to start.

boblo
    Free Member

allmountain76 – Member
    boblo, ap….hilarious, lovin your work y’all. Now havnt you both got some mutual nose / ear / beard hair trimming you should be getting on with.

Thank you and my best is yet to come. No hair trimming for me today, too busy looking out for cretinous faux yankee comments on internerd fora.

Off you pop now, time to put your hand over your heart and stand for the anthem…. It’s just about time.

continuity
    Free Member

I would start with a large milk bottle (plastic ldo), cut it into shape. You can also make a makeshift mucky nutz for your fork doing this.

continuity
    Free Member

If you want it black, go to your local whsmiths and buy a black plastic document folder.

Or just shell out the SEVEN POUNDS.

Olly
    Free Member

original style fairy bottle, for some L33T “sponsorship”

although if you want to keep your WHITE jacket clean, dont wear it. (what were you thinking buying a white jacket 😉

The swing arm guards are to protect the shock from grit, not the rider. you need to have a crud guard full size jobby to have a change of slowing the inevitable muddyness

allmountain76
    Free Member

The White jacket was a mistake I admit. Re the shock protection v’s rider protection idea, I agree to an extent but the enduro one I had on my old fsr did a reasonable job of stopping the bulk of the mud flick as well as looking after the shock.

Continuity, I’d gladly shell out 7 quid on a purpose made one…..

Boblo, do you have an issue with:
    A. Americans
    B. Accidental use of americanisms
    C. The size of your tool
    D. All of the above.

Off for a ride now, you know where you actually get a bike out, sit on the seat and push the pedals round… Something entirely alien to you I would hazard a fair guess Boblo…

Olly
    Free Member

sit on the seat

not doing yourself any favours there

boblo
    Free Member

allmountain76 – Member
    Boblo, do you have an issue with:
    A. Americans
    B. Accidental use of americanisms
    C. The size of your tool
    D. All of the above.

No, not when used in context aby ‘Mericans
    No, only when it looks a bit silly on a UK forum by a bloke probably from Barnsley (or some such).
    No, I’ve got lot’s of tools and they all are aboutn the right size for the job.
    No

But it does grate a bit when silly boys come over all James Dean and then get defensive when picked up on it. We had another tool on here recently commenting on ‘taking a broad out’. He was from Coventry or some such…

Cycling? Yep I know a bit about that. Y’know, ‘sitting on seats and pedalling and that’. Enjoy your ride.

zippykona

Used to go and see a band called Rose Of Avalanche whose singer spoke in a thick American accent. He was from LA, the Leeds Area.

allmountain76
    Free Member

Well it was very muddy round Jenkin crag Boblo, a MUDGUARD would have been terribly handy, swingarm or seat tube mounted. How did your afternoon pan out, pipe cleaning or slipper polishing?

Thanks all for the constructive suggestions. The zefal no mud looks like it could fit, I’ll try one of those and see if it’s aesthetically acceptable which is of course the key buying criteria.

If it looks like a heap of trash I’ll chop it up and slam it Cali style, maybe smooth and chrome the sucka 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Have a look at the Decathlon Rockrider mudguard. Very cheap and though it uses Canti studs, I reckon it must be possible to adapt it somehow.

02/04/2010 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Northwind

Muckynuts Bender Fender can be bodged onto many seatstays. But you’re totally dependant on the bike’s design as to whether or not it’s effective- frinstance on my SX Trail it’s possibly protecting the shock but it’s certainly not doing anything for my bum. On my Hemlock it doesn’t seem to do anything of use- just in the wrong place. I’m reasonably sure on my Ellsworth it’ll be useful though, I guess those hideous rockers will serve a purpose :mrgreen:

Basically the mudguard needs to be in a really strange place for it to protect the rider from rear-tyre mud.

allmountain76
    Free Member

Northwind, agreed the SX on is a bit short on most frames.

The fxr “stays” are almost horizontal so this may make for a more effective guard…

Druidh, that’s really similar to the zefal no mud but the zefal has a universal rubber band type fixing so less budging required. Both look like they are bodgeable though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve tried most and have come to the conclusion that waterproof shorts are a better bet. Even the decathlon one I had like that^^ is just too short to be effective. Seems that full length mudguards and MTB just don’t mix.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to mod one of those decathlon guards.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It’s certainly a bugger when you have two Marins with their very definitive swingarms, yet have short and stumpy little legs so your seatpost is that low that any SP mounted ‘guard’ hits the wheel on a regular basis!
    I’ve got several mudguards in the shed that just don’t work on either of the damn bikes, you think i’d stop falling for the hype and stop buying them wouldn’t you? 🙄

boblo
    Free Member

allmountain76 – Member
    Well it was very muddy round Jenkin crag Boblo, a MUDGUARD would have been terribly handy, swingarm or seat tube mounted. How did your afternoon pan out, pipe cleaning or slipper polishing?

Good lad 🙂

All pipes polished and slippers cleaned, just the sock drawer to clean out now….

allmountain76
    Free Member

^^ touché

wenanwhere
    Free Member

I made a few to fundraise and sold to mates, £1.50 for an art folder from wilko and away you go, I just copied round the outline of a mucky nutz one then made it a bit longer with bit at the front as well, works a treat

killerkielder.posterous.com/pages/killer-crap-catcher-mudguards

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

One “modified” decathlon rockrider – which is fugly but would be better tied to the chainstay:

A smaller and neater diy clone of a mucky nuts fender:

#edit – excuse the crappy phone photos.

#edit 2 – different bikes but obviously the shock placement and bearing prices (and easy of access) determines what and where you want to protect.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Swingarm mounted fenders…..any home brew ideas or universal?’ is closed to new replies.