Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Swine flu jab – wife's 29 weeks pregnant. Would you?
  • Burts
    Free Member

huh? Surely if she has already had it then there is no benefit it getting the vaccine now?

Right, I checked with the boss. The medical advice (at least here in BC) is still to get the vaccine even if you suspect you've had the flu, for 2 reasons:

1) Unless you've actually been tested you don't know if it really was H1N1.
    2) You can't be sure you've got enough antibodies, better safe than sorry.

And in relation to DrNick's point, my wife is a nurse manager of a HIV outpatients clinic (high-risk patient group). When the vaccine was first made available here a few weeks ago, my wife organised the vaccination program in her clinic and was expressly reminded by management that staff were NOT to be vaccinated at that time as they were not in the 1st phase. Surprise surprise, a week later and 6 out of the 7 clinic nurses spent the week at home with suspected swine flu. Cue scenes of organisational chaos and senior management being drafted back to the clinic floor after years behind a desk. DOH!

franksinatra

A 19 year old girl and her 38 week old unborn child died in the resus room of A&E around the corner from me a few weeks ago. Swine flu, pregnant but otherwise well.

No-brainer. Known risk versus theoretical risk.

My GP wife was advising a pregnant friend on this last night.. Our friend is 14 weeks pregnant. Advice was by this stage baby is relatively well developed and therefore lower risk of damage. The more pregnant you are the safer it is.

I know three pregnant doctors who have had it, and they are the worst for worrying about these sorts of things!

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Swine flu jab – wife's 29 weeks pregnant. Would you?’ is closed to new replies.