Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Swindon Roadies: Help
  • AdamT

I’m going to be in Swindon on wed evening and would like to get a ride in. Where are the nice areas to go? I can fit in a 20-30 mile ride. Probably staying in the Marriott near croft road. Link to strava route/ride would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

anagallis_arvensis

Head out towards Wantage via Dragon Hill

JEngledow
    Free Member

Swindon

nice areas

There aren’t any 😆

(on a serious note what A_A said!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

What they said. Head out towards Aldbourne, Lambourn or Wantage way. I come at it from the Newbury side but there’s lots of quiet country roads to ride between Newbury and Swindon.

IHN

Head out from the Marriott down Marlborough road and take the right at the mini roundabout down Broome Manor Lane.

Follow your nose, ending up climbing up to a T-junction just past the Calley Arms.

Turn left, then go Chiseldon, Ogbourne St George, Aldbourne, Axford, Marlborough, back over Hackpen Hill towards Broad Hinton, hang a right to drop down to Wroughton, climb up the hill back to the junction by the Calley Arms (you’ll have a big circle)

Turn left, retrace route to hotel.

Lovely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Funnily enough IHN I had just plotted almost exactly that, except I had Ramsbury between Aldbourne and Axford.

alwillis

To add balance, I prefer the riding north and west of town. Head out towards Lydiard Millicent and Purton, down the hill heading west (any of the lanes are fine) and follow your nose round to the right a few times (a good loop is Minety and Ashton Keynes) then back in via Cricklade to north Swindon.

DavidB
    Free Member

Good man IHN you’ve sent him up Snap 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s gorgeous, especially at this time of year.

Try Wroughton, Chiseldon, Ogborne St George, Marlborough, Ramsbury, Aldbourne, optionally Lambourne, Ashbury and Hinton Parva if you want it longer.

Loved every ride I did there last summer, on and off-road, although the off-road better and is pretty easy to follow too.

EDIT that’s probably too long. But Aldbourne and Lambourne are lovely places.

mrblobby
    Free Member

But Aldbourne and Lambourne are lovely places

… to ride through 😉

brassneck

Good man IHN you’ve sent him up Snap

Don’t spoil the surprise!

Whats wrong with Aldbourne? If I had to define ‘middle class’ I’d just send the questioner to Aldbourne. It’s an STW idyll surely!

IHN

Which one’s the Snap?

To add balance, I prefer the riding north and west of town. Head out towards Lydiard Millicent and Purton, down the hill heading west (any of the lanes are fine) and follow your nose round to the right a few times (a good loop is Minety and Ashton Keynes) then back in via Cricklade to north Swindon.

This is definitely true, and as a Ciren resident it’s an area I know well for roadie riding, but from the Marriott it’s the wrong side of town and you’ve got the best part of half an hour before you’re into the nice lanes. Going south you’re on them in five minutes.

richardk
    Free Member

Snap is Ogbourne St George to Aldbourne – the part coming up from the A436 to Woodsend.

AdamT

Thanks all. I do most of my riding in the Chilterns and kinda enjoy the challenge of hills. I’ll get some routes up on the Garmin and have a play.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some lovely country around Bishopstone, you could criss cross the Ridgeway, stopping off at the Royal Oik (sic) for a swift half on the way home.

If you have a gravel bike, I’d take that, though! It’s gloriously dry, fast and fun up there at the moment.

alwillis

Fair point about winding though town from the Marriott- it’s quicker if you know all the shortcuts (I’m town centre for my sins).

CFH might have hit the jackpot with the Royal Oak at Bishopstone! A STW pub if ever there was one!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Swindon Roadies: Help’ is closed to new replies.