Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Swimmingtrackworld
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m doing a couple of triathlons, I can ride and run OK, and am comfortable swimming, but reckon I can improve. For instance my “comfortable” 700m open water swim (I live by the beach, the 2 nearest groins are 350m apart) takes 15 mins, but my ave HR is 130 or so, when it’s easily 150-160 running/riding.

My guess is my HR is low because mr CV system is way ahead of my swimming muscles, and also my power is limited by slow breathing?

My tactic si to swim 2-3 times a week, once in a pool-based training session, building up distance towards the 3.9km of my event. Does this make sense?

tommyhine

Might be worth getting some specific lessons. My wife is a swim coach and I’d never had any formal coaching before I met her and had done a couple of triathlons, and read the mags etc.

After spending a few sessions with her getting useful tips and also a defined program I improved loads.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm. Sounds snesible but not sure I wanna splash the coin on that.

Unless your wife is available? 😛

chudsy
    Free Member

Your heart rate will be lower when swimming as your heart isn’t working against gravity as much. Your body is horizontal and not vertical.

richardk
    Free Member

Running HR is highest, then cycling, then swimming. Rule of thumb for max used to be 7bpm difference run to bike, then 10bpm down to swim. Your HR can go higher than 130 for the swim – you just need to measure it on a shorter, faster course!

Training sounds good. Try to make 1 session a week a fast one (100m repeats) to get some speed, and the others as slower endurance ones. I did 3K Max before my Iron man, no need to hit the full 3.8K your current times indicate about 1h20 for your swim

If your swim is in a lake, then get some practice in there – it has less buoyancy than the sea.

Biggest benefit I found was learning to relax for the open water swim, sounds like you are already there for this. Which race are you doing?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers – I’man is “Ireman” in NI in August, and the Durty tri (off road in Scottish Borders) – a lake swim, which I’ll try to replicate in training.

I am consciously going slow just now as I have tended to go to fast then get out of breath/have to stop or do breaststroke/panic. Hopefully I can get better as I am getting more relaxed with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Swimmingtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.