Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • swimming tips, please.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Desicion made, due to working schedule it’s difficult to get cycling time and as I’m returning to racing this year I need to improve and maintain fitness. So swimming it is. I can get to a swimming pool easily 4 days per week.
    As someone who hasn’t been near a swimming pool for several years I’m looking for advice.

I’ve just been reading that as a beginner I should only be swimming for 15-20 mins, surely I can listen to the body and do a little more?
    Any good training plans around?
    I’m looking at a reasonable workout to maintain fitness during the week 2-3 sessions in the pool, combined with 2-3 weekend rides of 3-4 hours and one rest day per week.

Any tips?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

as a lifeguard at my local pool, i can happily say, you stay in the water as long as you are happy to be there!
    At whatever intensity you so wish to use.

merry christmas

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you can swim for more than 20mins you’re not a beginner…

(it’s all about technique, it doesn’t matter how fit you are, swimming is hard work when you’re rubbish at it)

i learned crawl 2 years ago for a triathlon, and at first i was struggling to swim 30m.

it took me about 3 or 4 months of swimming twice a week before it got noticeable easier.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

jump in a go for as long as you can. Do 4 lengths steady and then two as fast as you can then another 4 steady then 2 fast etc.

donsimon
    Free Member

i learned crawl 2 years ago for a triathlon, and at first i was struggling to swim 30m.

it took me about 3 or 4 months of swimming twice a week before it got noticeable easier.

That’s what I’m looking to hear…

Thanks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you can jump in and swim 4 lengths slow, 2 lengths fast, 4 lengths slow, etc. then you’re not a beginner.

1 length will leave a beginner slightly drowned with a border-line heart attack.

if you want to get good at swimming then slow it right down, and learn how to be efficient. you’ll be able to swim for hours.

if you want to swim ‘for fitness’ then keep your technique shonky and inefficient. 20 mins will leave you buggered for days.

hitman
    Free Member

Work on your catch and pull technique – for years I’ve been swimming incorrectly dropping my elbows and pulling mainly with my shoulders. Doing this the right way you engage the large back muscles and youre able to swim with more power and less effort.
    Some simple instruction here:
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/catch.html
    Also good body position is very important – don’t arch your back, in fact a slightly rounded back is best.
    Work on kicking from the hip.
    Hope this helps.

iDave
    Free Member

I suggest you find some info on Total Immersion method

info like this, but maybe with better music……

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4[/video]

jam-bo

Get lessons. My local tri club does coached sessions twice a week. £1.50 for an hour session.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“returning to racing”…bikes?

If so I’d be training on a bike or at least running, if you are serious.

donsimon
    Free Member

Running out of the question due to dodgy knees and not an option during the day or I would ride, no showers, see?
    Riding 2-3 times a week.

Swimming for the days when I can’t get on the bike, in that it’s better than nothing. But thanks for your input.

Thanks for the above help.

Are skimpy Speedos acceptable in public pools? And should one do anything to make oneself appear more manly downstairs?

cynic-al
    Free Member

not taking the piss, I’d still suggest you’d be better having a structured intense training program for your 2-3 rides and them swim ap recovery.

Look for the time crunched training program.

donsimon
    Free Member

No worries, the riding is more or less taken care of. I’ve looked at all/most alternatives and swimming is the easiest/best for Mon-Thurs. 😉

mogrim

Are skimpy Speedos acceptable in public pools? And should one do anything to make oneself appear more manly downstairs?

They are in my local pool, at least the indoor one early in the morning.

The Total Immersion stuff is pretty good, too.

donsimon
    Free Member

The nearest indoor pool is Torrelaguna, I’ll be looking to go to SanSe or Alcobendas. I’m currently working at Acciona in Alcobendas and have a great hole between 10am and 1pm, so looking to fill that.

Just got the mail Mogrim, cheers. I haven’t forgotten about the book either, I’ll give you a shout in the new year.

Feliz Navidad. 😀

mogrim
    andyfb78
    Free Member

whereabouts are you?

really recommend swim therapy in leicester, the coach Matt is ace.

really really worth getting lessons, it will help alot. As for swimming fitness, you will feel rubbish to begin with but it will get better. problem is it is a technique sport, so you might still feel rubbish even though you you are a lot fitter – hence lessons will make you feel better.

catch is important, but the real focus should be on body position, no point in having power if you have too much drag….

try pyramid sets PM me if you like and I’ll send you some sets and some vid links…

Swimming really requires perseverance, but the feeling when you start to glide and you swim your first fast 400, or 1k is worth it.

Try to maintain some lane etiquette, look for faster swimmers and let then past at the end of the length, don’t push off just in front of someone. don’t hand around at the end wall and block people from pushing off. in theory they’ll do the same, but most don’t, coz most aren’t ever taught lane discipline….

Enjoy…

Andy

donsimon
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

Just for you

I did actually laugh out loud, excellent.

@ andyfb78 I’m just to the south of Leicester, actually a bit further south of Southampton too. 😯

Lane discipline/etiquette is something I’m concerned about too, I’ve heard stories which have demonstrated the lack of tolerance towards newbies from the more experienced.

It’s all starting to get a bit serious now. 😕 Phelpsy watch yer back, I’ma coming for ya! 😆

hitman
    Free Member

catch is important, but the real focus should be on body position, no point in having power if you have too much drag….

As I said :

Work on your catch and pull technique

and

Also good body position is very important

the two tend to go hand in hand – if your catch and pull is incorrect it tends to affect your body position adversely and vice versa

Trekster

quick google, training to swim, and up comes;
    training plan

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheers Trekster, what’s your personal experience of that training plan? Don’t you think that a 75-90 min workout might be a bit too much for someone who hasn’t been near a pool in years?
    What’s this google you speak of? I’m not too sure if I’ve seen it, where can I download it? How does it work?

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes, 4.1km is probably a bit too much for a beginner… never mind 4.1km in 90minutes.

joemarshall
    Free Member

training plan

Watch out for advice like that – that is a fitness training plan for people who already have good swimming technique.

If you have any desire to get okay at swimming (and to avoid hurting your joints), learn technique well before you start building up distance like that. Total immersion books & videos are one way. Coaching by a good coach is another.

Joe

samuri
    Free Member

As alluded to above, shonky technique is actually better for your fitness but is probably more frustrating. If you want to knacker yourself out, swim badly, wear big floppy shorts and use your legs a lot.

The problem with learning how to swim ;-), is that you become extremely efficient at passing through the water. The total immersion book encourages you to use as few strokes as possible to get from one end to the other and as a result you move quickly, don’t use a lot of effort and effectively become a long distance swimmer.

Trekster

encourages you to use as few strokes as possible to get from one end to the other and as a result you move quickly, don’t use a lot of effort and effectively become a long distance swimmer.

Always been a crap breats stroker so have been concentrating on technique since getting back into swimming after a very long time away from the pool. Gym has a 20mtr pool and have got my strokes down from 14 to 9 🙂
    Now need to work on stamina

What’s this google you speak of?

You serious ❗

http://www.google.co.uk/

ahwiles – Member
    yes, 4.1km is probably a bit too much for a beginner… never mind 4.1km in 90minutes.

joemarshall – Member
    training plan
    Watch out for advice like that – that is a fitness training plan for people who already have good swimming technique.

If you have any desire to get okay at swimming (and to avoid hurting your joints), learn technique well before you start building up distance like that. Total immersion books & videos are one way. Coaching by a good coach is another.

Joe

Agree. Was just an example of what can be found and thought the OP could decide/choose for himself what suited his level of skill.

Coaching by a good coach is another.

Goes without saying for all and any sport really.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Technique is definitely the key.

For front crawl I found fins (cut down flippers) really helped. They give so much more thrust (oh er missus) than normal legstrokes so make developing arm and breathing technique much easier.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Skimpy trunks are much better for swimming in, if you’re going to do any distance. I took the plunge (!) and got some, and the difference compared to baggy shorts was instantly noticable; 1-2 seconds a length faster due to far less drag. Lots more comfy over longer distances too. Don’t worry about yer cobbly bobblers; immersion in cool water will lead to even less drag….

Join a technique class, take it easy and enjoy it. That 4.1k training plan is ridiculous; will take years of dedication and regular training to be able to swim that fast. I can do 1 mile/1600m in 30 mins, and that will knacker me. Haven’t bin for a couple of months due to illness/demotivation, but I was going regularly 2-3 times a week, bin to a 12-week technique class, so not a bad little swimmer. Some folk take it far too seriously. Swim for enjoyment and fitness.

The difference it will make to your physique (unless you are already Well Buff like me) will be very noticable after just a couple of months. Really builds up your shoulders! Helps with flexibility and overall good health.

30-40 mins 3-4 times a week is excellent. Go for the 15-20 mins to start with, no shame in taking it easy at first, then build up gradually. Set yourself little targets; fastest 100, fastest 500, fastest 1k etc. Mixing it up during the week is good; one session of doing short sprints, then next time do a long slow swim, sprint then slow, etc.

But yeah, enjoy it, that’s the key thing.

Would I be right in assuming there might be lots of healthy senoritas at your local pool? 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Aquarobics. No skill needed but enough to push the unfit to a coronary inside 30 minutes.

Decathlon used to sell some neoprene mitts with webbing between the fingers, Mrs MFL bought herself some and in a week went from finding the upper body stuff easy to being a quivering wreck after the classes.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Join a club or find somewhere with a coach who can look at your stroke and advise on how to improve it before you start on any training schedule especially if you’re aiming to do a lot of swimming. Stuff on the ‘net is all well and good if you can swim well but if you’ve got a bad technique you’ll end up with problems once you start to push the distances up. Mix up your strokes in each session and do sets of arms only and kicking. For core work breastroke legs only with no float, arms in front initially then arms by your side as you get stronger.

Lane discipline is easy enough, keep to one side and not in the middle, let faster swimmers by when you can and don’t be too obvious if there’s a pretty lady in the lane beside you, you might swim into the wall. Ouch.

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s this google you speak of?

You serious

http://www.google.co.uk/

I think I see the problem, you’ve given a URL with co.uk and I’m not too sure if it’ll work here in Spain. The internet isn’t as advanced here as in other parts of the world. I’ll keep on looking.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack .. so I have started swimming more recently as at present I’ve been unable to run due to sciatica. I get in the pool and do 5 x 20 lengths start off gentle and try to do last 2 sets quite hard. BUt I’ve been doing this for about 2 months and I’m beginning to get a bit bored. Where can I look for some training plans? the above takes about 1 hour 10 ish (with friend for occasional natters between each set). I hope 220 tri magazine would have some stuff in it, but this months mag is very lacking in ANY swimming info. Advice would be grand. I’ve looked around for adult lessons there isn’t anyone and the local swimming club were (a) unfriendly and (b) seemed over subscribed!!

deft
    Free Member

You can get a new set every week from here: http://www.kiefer.com/Common/c2074630-2cbe-4195-ba7d-6923369bd70b.aspx

They’re definitely aimed at club swimmers but you can always drop the IM drills and shorten the kick/pull sets

iDave
    Free Member
    ebygomm
    Free Member

Swimfit have a number of sample training sessions. The pool where i used to swim has them printed out and laminated. I think you may have to register on the site to see them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How’s it going with yer swimming then Don Simon?

Went today; trying to get back into it following illness and then silly bloody injuries to me arm.

As a result of doing the swimming course last year, I’ve found getting back into swimming has been really quite easy, and I’ve not lost that much speed, as my technique is now better. Close to that Total Immersion style. I can swim just as fast, but much more smoothly and efficiently than a year ago.

Personally, I find it more enjoyable and rewarding to swim not as fast as possible, but to concentrate more on the technique, on each stroke, to try to achieve the ‘perfect’ movement. A bit like Yoga I spose; movement, breathing, focussing the mind, etc. This has the effect of actually making me a faster and better swimmer, but also, and very importantly, to be able to relax more with it, so that I enjoy it more. These days, I feel a lot more chilled out after a swim.

There’s something really rewarding about being able to just glide along, at yer own pace, efficiently and smoothly. Feels so natural and comfortable.

iainc

I got into ‘the Art of Swimming’ last year in an attempt to swim for fitness but not worsen knee pain due hypermobility. I used to swim a few times a week, 100 lengths at a time (2.5k), and at the end would be pretty tired and achy knees. I now do the same distance, but can, when I try, do a 25m length in 14 strokes, rather than around 22. Much more efficient and knees a lot better. 6k this week, but not been on the bike since Sunday…..

oh, and I’m 45 and a bit fat too 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

How’s it going with yer swimming then Don Simon?

Errrr, time has been my enemy, since the original question work picking up and flat hunting have left me almost no time. 😥 Things have settled down a bit now, so will give it another go.
    I’ve got down to around 15% body fat and need to do something to rid myself of more. Running is out of the question. Thanks for the nudge…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So you haven’t bin, then? 😐

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘swimming tips, please.’ is closed to new replies.