• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jobro.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • swimming… sinus probs next day?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

don’t know if anyone has experienced this and knows of a remedy…

ive regularly swum in the winter, as in 1-3 times a week, for ages. the winter before last i started training with a local tri club in a different pool and suddenly would start getting sore/runny sinuses about an hour after swimming then solidly the next day.this then continued in my local pool.

just started back and i’d bought a new set of nose plugs (i hate wearing nose plugs but the effects on my sinuses make it necessary) that in the first few weeks i thought were really doing the job as i had no problems.

today however is a different story and i can really feel congestion and soreness, so unless i’m coming down with a cold, i dont think i am, its starting again.

my wife has suggested trying piritin but i dont get on with it, hard to explain but i feel weird on it so try to avoid taking it, and i am going to ask the pharmacist later when i go to sainsburys, but just wondered if anyone else had suffered like this and had found a solution?

brakeswithface

Same problem for me. Took me ages to work out why! For me the nose clip sorts it out though so can’t really recommend another solution…

wors

nose clips worked for me, a spray of beconase up each nostril helped when i forgot the nose peg…

StuF

Try anti-histamine tablets, some pools set me off sneezing others don’t. I’ve been told it’s something to do with the chemicals they use to keep it clean and different formula they use.

mike_p
    Free Member

Mild allergy to swimming pool chlorine (or whatever they put in the water)? Swot I have, get a totally blocked schnozzer for 2-3 days after a swim session which can only be relieved by Sudafed nasal spray, and then only temporarily.

As said above, the solution is to wear a nose clip. You may need to try a few before you find one that fits your conk.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ive gone to a zoggs one, after using a speedo and another one (cant remember the brand) over the last two years, which i thought had sorted the prob as its a wider contact area (cheap as chips with amazon prime if anyone is interested) but i started to feel it aftyer last nights swim and today i’m really feeling it – though not as bad as in the past.

all the pharmacist could suggest was a salt water nasal flush at 8quid/bottle, but as i already flush my nose out both in the pool shower straight after then at home i couldnt see the point of.

i’m going to try a piritin next time, hopefully one will be enough to sort the allergy issue but not give me side effects.

durhambiker
    Free Member

A combination of nose clip and Beconase works for me.

Stainypants

Plagued with it for the past year or so took a break over the summer. First trip to a new pool and it was back.

I can’t get a nose clip to fit but a shot of pirinase before and after has kept it under control for the past few months. Not sure I want to be doing this forever though.

Stainypants

Amzingly my sinus seem to have cleared up after about 15 months of grief. I was considering quiting swimming alltogther only using the steroids sparingly now not after and before every swim.

paulhaycraft

I use Clarityn rather than Piriton. Got fed up with nose clips so tried a sweep of Vaseline up each nostril.
    That combined with a watery flush in the shower afterwards keeps the worst of it at bay for me.

kcal

watching with interest. I don’t get on with swimming any more with chronic sore ears, but wife swims regularly. Few weeks back, the pool was shut for a short time, and on re-open, she has been sneezing and feeling like a cold all the time. Suspect they’ve had contaminated pool and are blasting it with chemicals…

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

well the update on this is that i did indeed come down with a cold.

however i have swum again a few times since and i really do think that the zoggs noseclips have made a difference, they have more of a round pad than teh speedo and arena ones i’ve used before. i put them on before i go in the water and leave them on until i’m in the poolside shower after.

i really do hate wearing a noseclip but if thats what it takes!

incidently for ears google navy seals surfers ear. you buy a little pipette for a few pence and make a mix of 1/3 vinegar 1/3 surgical spirit 1/3 distilled water, then a few drops after swimming. worked for me when i had ear probs.

jobro
    Free Member

Reactive Rhinitis. I suffer from it as well.It’s often worse at the end of the day(when try clubs etc train).
    Personally I can’t use nose clips as I blow out through the mouth and nose. As mentioned previously, Beconase or a low level anti-histamine should sort it. I use half a tab of Clarityn.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘swimming… sinus probs next day?’ is closed to new replies.