Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swimming goggles.
  • verses

I’m currently trying to improve my swimming technique. Most swimmers seem to use goggles. All I remember of them from childhood is that they were suction-cups that seemed to permanently attempt to remove your eyes from your sockets.

I guess what I’m asking is; do I need goggles?

I don’t mind getting water in my eyes, local baths don’t seem overly chlorinated and if they are it doesn’t seem to bother me. Do they offer any other advantages, other than ease of eyeball extraction?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Um. Yes. They are great. I can’t quite imagine swimming without them. Good swimming technique is partly to do with body and head position in the water. Being able to see the bottom of the pool, etc really helps with this!

If you’re worried about comfort (eyeball-sucking? Err..? New one to me!), go for these:

Speedo Futura Ice
    Comfy, cheap-ish. And they make you look like an otter!

verses

I’ve been teaching myself to keep my face in the water (breathing every other stroke) and keeping my eyes open to see the lines on the bottom of the pool doesn’t seem to be a problem…

I like the sound of comfy and cheap and I supposes there’s worse things for them to make you look like 🙂 I’m just not convinced I need them, which is odd as it’s usually easy to talk myself to spend money on sports accessories 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

Good quality goggles are a different ballgame comfort wise, but if it wasn’t for eye irritation I probably wouldn’t bother in the pool, the lines are easy to see and theres nothing else to look at.

Oh and my recommendation is aquasphere kaiman

headfirst
    Free Member

Well-fitting goggles will definitely improve your swimming experience. This thread is from a few days ago, it might help in selecting a pair.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-got-a-swimming-goggle-recomendation

joemarshall
    Free Member

The 5 pound ‘swedish’ ones with the tiny hard bits for each eye will still suck your eyes. The fancier ones like those speedo ones don’t.

I don’t need goggles to swim outdoors in fresh water, or to swim breaststroke, but in a pool, i find a massive difference when swimming crawl – you just are so much more aware of everything going on around you.

Also, when learning crawl, most people suggest breathing every third stroke, so you don’t get unbalanced. And don’t lift your head to breathe, just roll it. Swimsmooth web site (google it) has lots of good tips for learning crawl (they sell books and things, but at least to start off with the website has lots of free info).

verses

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

I had a look at the Swimsmooth web-site the other week, some cracking tips on there.
    I’m still getting to grips with the technique (only been trying for about 4 swims, in a crowded public pool) but have been breathing in on my left side either every time my right arm goes in or every other time it goes in. I’m trying to keep it to every other time.

geologist
    Free Member

If you subscribe to the swimming times magazine, you get a free pair of goggles, getting the subscription for only 6 quid.

verses

Random thread revival.

I bought Speedo Pacific Storms in the end and have been very pleased with them.

What prompted the thread revival is that I forgot to take them with me today for the 1st time since I bought them and trying to swim without them was horrible.

trevh
    Free Member

cant swim without them try zoggs predator brilliant

Pigface
    Free Member

+1 Zoggs predators great goggles

nickb

Aquasphere Vista.
    Not cheap, but brilliant. I’ve been through a few pairs of Speedo goggles and Arena ones – they all leaked, but the Vista’s are just really good.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/aqua-sphere-vista-goggles-with-clear-lens/

£17 in the wiggle sale. Go buy some!

Nick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swimming goggles.’ is closed to new replies.