Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Swimming all of the lakes and tarns in the Lake District…
  • MagicNumber8
    Free Member

Early this year, my husband’s grandfather passed away from motor neurone disease. In an attempt to raise money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association, he decided to swim every tarn and lake in the Lake District, by their longest length. There are 234 tarns and 14 lakes, and some of them are pretty long! He has knocked off 80 so far, but this weekend saw him swim the length of Coniston, which is around 5.5 miles.

I’ve posted about this before, but after this achievement I thought it was worth a repost.

null

If you have any loose change, it’d be massively appreciated. It’s a big old challenge, with the likes of Windermere and Ullswater coming up over the next year, at 9 and 11 miles respectively.

Thank you for reading!

MagicNumber8
    Free Member

I should add – he hadn’t done any open water swimming before beginning the challenge, and nothing at all in the way of long distance swimming.

Stevet1
    Free Member

This is bonkers, some of those lakes are super deep and cold.

MagicNumber8
    Free Member

Yep! He’s already done the length of Wastwater, which is the deepest lake and 3 miles long. We do it with kayak support, so he’s not out there on his own.

MagicNumber8
    Free Member

Just thought I’d give this a bump, as Tim’s made a lot of progress.

He has now completed 93 lakes and tarns, including Coniston, Wastwater, Loweswater, Buttermere, Grasmere, Rydal Water and Derwent Water.

We’re still trying to fundraise for this very worthy cause (The Motor Neurone Assocation), so donations of even the smallest amount are hugely appreciated.

https://www.justgiving.com/Tim-Faudemer1/

There’s a link to a blog too, where you can see photos of all of the swims so far.

Many thanks!

MagicNumber8
    Free Member

Just to say that we’ve now set up text donation too, through Just Giving.

You can text TARN66 and an amount of £1/2/3/4/5/10 to 70070. E.g. TARN66 £5

A huge thanks again to those who have very kindly donated already – it’s much appreciated and is going to a great cause.

funkrodent

£10 Donated through that text thingummyjig. Fair play to your husband, that is one hell of a challenge!

dyls

£10 donated as well, great charity. Goodluck.

MagicNumber8
    Free Member

Thank you both very much – that’s awesome. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Swimming all of the lakes and tarns in the Lake District…’ is closed to new replies.