Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Swimming against the tide….(so to speak)
  • bigbang
    Free Member

Work,kids,bills,more work,more bills,clients,tax,mortgage,oil,kids piano lessons,moaning Missus etc etc etc etc,no holidays,no **** all anymore! will it ever get better? There,I said it…or is it just me?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Nope, and you’ll get a divorce and the missus will be a **** about everything. That might just be my experience though.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 Call a call girl?

bigbang
    Free Member

That’s just more bills querty!

iainc

Nah, that’s just the usual humdrum I reckon, just hope nowt bad happens to you or those close to you and all will be fine

cloudnine
    Free Member

#firstworldproblems

You have a job, a family and a bike.
    Stop moaning and start making some small positive changes.

mjsmke

This is one of the main reason we don’t want kids.

StuE
    Free Member

Life’s a bitch and then you die

bigbang
    Free Member

Easier said than done cloud nine.

kayla1
    Free Member

Bin the piano lessons (FFS!) and go on holiday 😀 Then buy the kids some drums and a guitar.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Start with some tiny positives then.. Focusing too much on lifes negatives is hardly productive.

Nipper99
    Free Member

‘………. an unlovely struggle against unfair odds culminating in a cheap funeral.’

bigbang
    Free Member

I hear what you’re saying cloud nine but what positives there are,are often quickly washed over by the negatives unfortunately

bigbang
    Free Member

Thank you Nipper for you’re kind words.Obviously a major player in the empathy business!

iainc

Having swum in the tide of middle age, middle class, modern life for a number of years I’d say we all need to sometimes step back and have a look, and as said above, make some small positive changes. Otherwise you either get old, or some proper bad crap will come along and you’ll wish for the way it is now !

clanton
    Free Member

Feel like I am in much the same boat mate.
    No solutions from me – just commiseration!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Thats a relief, not just me then.

Reckon if I pack in smoking I might have another 20, possibly 30 years left. 😀

bigbang
    Free Member

Dirty dog,I might take up smoking so that I have only 20 or 30 years left! Somebody give me one small generic positive change then,as that seems to be the general consensus as to the way forward.

kayla1
    Free Member

Stop paying for stuff you don’t need and be thankful for what you have, rather than wanting what you can’t.

kelvin

Watch Guy Martin’s two parter from India.

Do it right now.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tomorrow.. Don’t shout at the kids or argue with your Mrs.
    Don’t raise your voice all day..

iainc

Somebody give me one small generic positive change

. Ok, go out tomorrow for a walk, or a bike ride, think about the moment, not your worries. Then think that you are physically able to have just done it, be grateful. Try googling around ‘mindfulness’ – some good principles around ‘living for the moment’

dirtydog
    Free Member

Looking on the bright side Bigbang you have served your purpose on this earth, namely passing on your genes.

Wouldn’t reccomend taking up smoking though!

bigbang
    Free Member

Kayla1 do you mean things like food,oil,clothing,mortgage? Stupid stuff like that? where did I give any indications about buying stuff I don’t need?

biffa
    Free Member

No it’s not just you, it’s “normal” in our society now, priorities are twisted beyond belief. Try and step back, take a breath and a hard look at your life and focus on what really matters, your wife? Your kids? Try and take some time together to take stock of what really matters. Talk, tell somebody how you feel, a friend your GP your wife if you can. Corny I know but this is it you don’t get a second chance, if it’s broke fix it now or it may be too late

dirtydog
    Free Member

If life’s a bitch then I’m gonna **** the arse off her.

iainc

^^^ would hope so given your username 😀

Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi Bigbang

Small steps… but before you can take them you have to want to take them.

Work is a tough one, could you commute on your bike? In fact any exercise will help.

Or just make sure you take some time out at lunchtime instead of working through… I had a stressful job a few years back and found that a 10 minute relaxation CD I bought really help me to recharge at lunchtime… it lead me to see that time is more important than money, I now have more time and absolutely no money! Kinda like it though.

The kids should be a boon not a problem, if they are horrid little devils it’s probably because you made them that way. Reset your relationship with them, look at them as people rather than your ‘kids’ and go have some fun with them.

Do the same with the wife… in fact go give her a hug right now, maybe talk to her about how you feel, do it calmly while rubbing her shoulders, she is probably struggling too. It’ll be so much easier to come through this tough time as part of a team.

The rest is just noise, focus on what is really important.

As for holidays, go camping or give youth hostels a go… if there is not enough money for that take the family to the beach or some local hills/countryside, maybe do some geocaching to add some fun.

Then once it’s dark break out a flask of Horlicks and do some stargazing.

When you strip all the consumer s##t away life can be pretty good.

If I sound preachy I apologize as that certainly isn’t my intention.

Good luck.

mjsmke

The question to ask yourself is; is your family worth all the sacrafices you have to make?

ampthill

I sort of understand your problem but it’s hard to really “get” some one else’s life

I find meditation helps life seem better, it’s free as well

It’s hard to value what we have and do.

It’s so easy to ride for an hour and wish we had longer or were fitter etc.

Where as we should be glad that we road for an hour

Oh and you need some one to talk to, even if it’s on the phone

Ps I do get to go on holiday. But that doesn’t mean my life is a bed of roses. I won’t moan about my life here. But try and be grateful for what you have

bigbang
    Free Member

I’m just citing kids wife etc as a rant really…I
    Love them all dearly and my relationship with my kids in fantastic.One has autism but we’re best mates.But that doesn’t mean it’s not incredibly challenging,add to that,a declining business and it’s a pretty scary time being responsible for a lot of people.I take a lot of excercise and believe it or not Ive just done a 20min sweetspot session on the turbo between posts,to try and fight off this god awful feeling..and there is no doubt that works…it’s the only thing that keeps me sane…I know half the world is in my position and I’m not looking sympathy…just spelling it out really to get it down and out of me.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Sounds like you have a good grasp on things.

The declining business and the sense of responsibility are the issue I suspect… time to look at other avenues.

boxelder

This is one of the main reason we don’t want kids

Whereas I read ‘kids’ as a positive among the other ‘lifenoise’.

chip
    Free Member

Stevet1
    Free Member

I get this from time to time. In those times its my kids and wife that I hold onto most – everything else I can deal with as long as I’ve got them – even when they’re being a PITA.
    I know its hardest to see the above when it all feels like swimming in glue. I often get the feeling it shouldn’t be this hard but hey whats the alternative?

Bit cheesey but I remember one of those comic relief emotional blackmail videos where they sent celebrities out to a slum in Africa. Lenny Henry was staying in a tin hut with a dude who went out every night and cleared out all the latrines into wheelbarrows full of stinking sh1t all for a few pence to feed his wife and kids. How much sh1t will you shovel for your kids Lenny Henry asked himself?
    < quite a lot it seems for premier inn… >

belugabob
    Free Member

If you want some positives, then just be thankful that neither of these happened to you today…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31617941

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31602247

And that you didn’t get stuck on the M23 for 2 hours, this morning 🙁

jam-bo

where did I give any indications about buying stuff I don’t need?

piano lessons?

Macavity
    Free Member

contra nando incrementum

zero-cool
    Free Member

Are you and your family healthy?
    Do you have a job that provides for them.
    Do you live in a society with drinkable water, plentiful food and without the ever present risk of dying from violence or disease?
    If you answer yes to the above then you’re doing better than many people in the world.
    Remember to enjoy the positive things in life while you have them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Swimming against the tide….(so to speak)’ is closed to new replies.