Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Iz it coz I iz illiterate? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Blah blah blah @ Stoner.

Pretty pointless showing graphs and stuff about public borrowing. Something actually happened that needed fixing you know. Or did you miss that? Oh wait – you're ignoring it to make your argument sound rock solid.

Is it more productive to debate the merits of different ways to combat severe recessions, or should we just concoct political propaganda? Come back to the thread (or preferably a different one) when you're ready to do something productive 🙂

EDIT: do you work for a newspaper btw?

noteeth
    Free Member

What is "Posh", anyway? Because, in my experience, it doesn't necessarily equate to being moneyed and – shudder – ghastly.

These days, "Old Money" is generally living in a state of rural decrepitude, with only an aging labrador for company.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oh I wasnt suggesting she HAD to have the experience, just that she may well have the knowledge required to do the job just as well as someone twice her age and lack the "stuck in her ways" nature that is apparent with most other older politicians. While you dont HAVE to have exams etc to become a politician (unlike becoming a Dr) it is possible to do so, and it is possible by the age of 27 to have spent a fair amount of time observing and identifying ways of improving. I'm not suggesting she is good, and I dont know what her background is so I cant comment, but you cant rule her out as a good MP just based on age. You might not want her as a party invitee though 🙂

G
    Free Member

The "Toff" argument is a busted flush, come up with something better.

Why?? Because you say so?

Several of them received one of the very best educations money can buy

Precisely, thats because they owe their position to money and privilige and not to ability. I would have no issue with it if entrance to Eton was solely on ability.

Would you prefer illiterate morons running the country?

That dear sir is exactly what we are worried about!! Please note entry to Eton is not about how clever you are its about your ability to pay! So the fact that you have attended does not mean you are clever or competent.

Frankly, I would rather have someone in power who might just relate to the daily struggles and realities that most of us have to deal with, rather than someone who thinks hard up means giving up the Bentley.

For what its worth, the Norwich North by election result is about the reaction by the electorate to the perceived slight by the "Star Chamber" to their sitting MP. The fact that the guy had abused the system and basically "sold" his daughter a property paid for by us for 50% of its market value seems to have passed the dear folk of Norwich by…. but then what would you expect? They support a football club with Delia Smith at the helm…

It could well be argued the GB went ahead with that decision knowing that there may be a backlash that would cost them dearly at a by-election. It could also be argued that Ian Gibsons toy chucking resignation is the behaviour of a petulant child caught with its hand in the biscuit barrel.

Nothing is ever as simple as it appears….. well except for that twunt George Osborne and he really is that simple!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Whatever, she is pretty I reckon.

IanMunro
    Free Member

She is a management consultant for Deloitte, noting that she considers it important for MPs to have "experience of the real world"

Bwhaaaahaaa! Haa!

El-bent
    Free Member

Tiresome and predictable, yet again. So what? Several of them received one of the very best educations money can buy. Would you prefer illiterate morons running the country?

You mean a group of people well known for looking after their own?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Please note entry to Eton is not about how clever you are its about your ability to pay

And about passing the entrance exam, and/or the scholarship exams as well as ensuring that you achieve a sufficiently high level of GCSE grades to remain at the school in the Sixth form.

Sorry about that.

IanMunro
    Free Member

CF's dead right. Prince Harry demonstrates exactly how tough it is.

trailmonkey

So what? Several of them received one of the very best educations money can buy. Would you prefer illiterate morons running the country?

Easily the most offensive quote on here in quite a while and one which highlights exactly why the Tories are still the party for the rather ignorant rich and priviliged. To suggest that people outside of public school education are both illiterate and moronic speaks volumes about the contempt in which the Tories hold the rest of us.

Gawd bless you Cap'n sir.

MTT
    Free Member

And about passing the entrance exam, and/or the scholarship exams as well as ensuring that you achieve a sufficiently high level of GCSE grades to remain at the school in the Sixth form.

What… like any other school?

The conservative front bench is naturally gifted, and in no way subsidised, I heard they used to beat up the SAS because their cuffs lacked a crisp Guatemalan stretch.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

To suggest that people outside of public school education are both illiterate and moronic

Did I suggest that?

No, I didn't. I merely asked if you would prefer illiterate morons to someone who had been educated at a Slough comp.

trailmonkey

I merely asked if you would prefer illiterate morons to someone who had been educated at a Slough comp.

Of course. Keep on wriggling.

MTT
    Free Member

No, you suggested that the country should be governed by people with the resources to fund the best education money can buy…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did? Thanks for letting me know.

I do so love the inverse snobbery that exists on STW. One of my favourite things.

trailmonkey

You're right Cap'n. You should be free to insult the little people without any lip.

Bally bolshies.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did I suggest that?

Well actually you did.

You offered only two choices – either someone who was educated in a top public school or, an illiterate moron.

I don't think there's much doubt what you were suggesting.

bintangman
    Free Member

Please note entry to Eton is not about how clever you are its about your ability to pay
    Getting into Eton isn't just about affording it (and in any event there are more expensive schools out there…) – its about getting on the list, having connections, etc. – and thats why so many Etonians are where they are.

Eton – Oxbridge (inc Bullingdon etc), then maybe to Sandhurst for a bit and then onto the City.

Her age isn't really an issue to me, as demonstrated by the complete lack of moral compass demonstrated by many MPs twice her age! And William Pitt was 3 years younger than her when he became PM!

trailmonkey

William Pitt was 3 years younger than her when he became PM

I wouldn't read too much into that, We're talking about an age where slavery was legal, children worked in factories and only the rich could vote.

Sounds like a Tory's wet dream 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

William Pitt was 3 years younger than her when he became PM

So 'William Pitt the Younger' wasn't ironic then ?

That's a disappointment 😐

I had always assumed that it was a case of good ol' British p*sstaking….

aracer
    Free Member

You offered only two choices – either someone who was educated in a top public school or, an illiterate moron.

I don't think there's much doubt what you were suggesting.
    Yes, but he didn't exclude the possibility of there being other options in between.

I'd suggest there's only no doubt for those with closed minds determined to see snobbery where there is none.

What a shame this thread had to descend into such petty squabbling over the tiresome old subject of Cameron et al being toffs, and that supposedly making them unfit to govern.

trailmonkey

Yes, but he didn't exclude the possibility of there being other options in between.

Another wriggler.

aracer
    Free Member

Another wriggler.

Is that really the best you can do? 🙄

MTT
    Free Member

I have just taken a job as chief execute of Britain, the first thing I will do is give everyone I went to school with senior positions in my organisation.

The uneducated public won't mind because I will strategically avoid any contentious/pressing issues by not offering solutions, but rather by telling people what I am not going to do.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

……those with closed minds determined to see snobbery…..What a shame this thread had to descend into such petty squabbling over the tiresome old subject of Cameron et al being toffs, and that supposedly making them unfit to govern.

LOL ! You're new around here are you aracer ?

The Captain comes on this forum everyday proudly declaring that he is a toff ……..
    "Oh you'll never guess how much I paid for a portion of chips in Harrods today"

And you feel that he is now being unfairly accused of being a snob ? !

And FYI, it is perfectly reasonable for the British electorate to expect the government which represents them,
    not to be out of touch with issues which concern them.

…….government of the people, by the people, for the people, and all that.

aracer
    Free Member

And FYI, it is perfectly reasonable for the British electorate to expect the government which represents them, not to be out of touch with issues which concern them.

A bit unrealistic though 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A bit unrealistic though

Well it is if they go out and vote for a bunch of Eton-educated privileged toffs.

🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, so we're back to the inverse snobbery then 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

And you feel that he is now being unfairly accused of being a snob ? !

He is if you're using that particular statement as evidence. Otherwise it's just an ad-hom. I'd probably prefer the PM not to be Eton educated, but unlike the vocal prejudiced on here, I don't see how it actually disqualifies somebody.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

so we're back to the inverse snobbery

Yep.

Although I would prefer not to use the word 'inverse'.

It's straightforward snobbery, ie : the upper-classes aren't fit to kiss my proletarian arse.

aracer
    Free Member

Right, so CFH is a snob, GG is a snob. Glad we've got that sorted 😉

eldridge
    Free Member

I'd probably prefer the PM not to be Eton educated, but unlike the vocal prejudiced on here, I don't see how it actually disqualifies somebody.

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that they have no direct personal experience of financial hardship

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that they have no direct personal experience of applying for jobs on their own merits

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that they have no direct personal experience of living in an ordinary community

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that the only people they have ever met are rich, selfish, complacent, lazy, well-connected, exploitative, private health scheme-insured, privately-educated, gated community-dwelling utter bastards

That's how it disqualifies them

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we've got that sorted

Not quite.

I believe that the proletariat are superior. He foolishly believes that the upper-classes are.

I am right to be a snob. He is not.

There can be no agreement.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Let's not beat about the bush..

or

You decide!

aracer
    Free Member

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that they have no direct personal experience of financial hardship

How much direct personal experience of financial hardship do you think most Labour MPs have?

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that they have no direct personal experience of applying for jobs on their own merits

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that they have no direct personal experience of living in an ordinary community

It disqualifies them because it virtually guarantees that the only people they have ever met are rich, selfish, complacent, lazy, well-connected, exploitative, private health scheme-insured, privately-educated, gated community-dwelling utter bastardsYou complain that these people have no idea about people like you, yet you seem to have exactly that problem about people like them. Going to Eton guarantees none of those things – I'd suggest it doesn't even make any of them more likely than not.

In this particular case your immovable pre-conceived views aren't actually doing you any favours.

Just in case it's at all relevant I should point out that I went to a pretty rubbish comprehensive, and wasn't particularly taken with many of the privately educated people I met at Uni (though my best friend at Uni was privately educated). However the Eton educated did meet people like me. It's not like I'm defending them because I particularly identify with them, simply because I think you're being ridiculous.

eldridge
    Free Member

You complain that these people have no idea about people like you

Whatever made you think I was talking about people like me?

I've never suffered financial hardship. Some of the jobs I've had have been given to me because of family connections. I've never lived in an ordinary community. Most of the people I have mixed with in my life have been well-off, a bit selfish, pretty complacent, definitely exploitative, many of them (though not me) insured with BUPA and privately educated.

It may be an odd concept to you, but I was using a concept called EMPATHY – the ability to understand how other people experience the world. So I was suggesting that an Eton-educated cabinet would be a bad idea for the country, not for me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How much direct personal experience of financial hardship do you think most Labour MPs have?

Probably quite a few. Most will have experienced some difficult decisions when it comes to financial priorities. Many will have come from families in which the parents were on fairly low incomes. All pretty much representative of society as a whole.

Certainly more representative than the Eton toffs.

eldridge
    Free Member

Just in case it's at all relevant I should point out that I went to a pretty rubbish comprehensive

Of course it's relevant man. We know the actual name of one of the schools in this debate (it's "Eton") so to justify your side of the debate you now have to name your school.

Come on – its Eton versus ?? (a pretty rubbish but conveniently anonymous state comp)

trailmonkey

aracer – Member

Another wriggler.

Is that really the best you can do?

No, it's just all that I could be bothered with due to the ridiculous nature of your post.
    But hey, don't get offended, I didn't discount the possibility that your post wasn't ridiculous.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!’ is closed to new replies.