Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Swift, Fargo or Longitude
  • stompy

I’m on the hunt for a do it all, family on/off road, camping, days out and general bimbling around bike able to go anywhere comfortably and carry all the stuff needed for kids, including the kids.

I have narrowed choice down to the Singular Swift, Salsa Fargo and the Genesis Longitude (mk1)…..now stuck, can’t seem to make a decision.

Swaying towards the Swift for ride quality, because it’s British, the option to run drops and because it is a thing of beauty but keep going back to the Fargo and Longitude.

Anyone help with real world experiences? Pros and cons or limitations of any of them?

Or just show me some pics, that could sway it, I’m fickle like that…..

damascus
    Free Member

What’s the difference in price? I bet the longitude is cheapest and available in the sales.

The price of salsas has rocketed recently.

If you can’t really decide let the price decide and then upgrade the wheels with the money saved.

stompy

I’d be buying second hand, full bike or frame only… Price not such an issue on used.

Really after experiences of ride quality and usefulness….. Don’t want to be just swayed by looks

ton

had 2 swift’s. not ideal if carrying luggage. lighter tubing than the others iirc. more a proper mtb. but a very comfy one.

had a fargo. perfect for what you want i would say. found mine a bit too high at the front. i put flat bars on it and it worked better for me.

stompy

Cheers Ton…. Am I right in thinking far less rack mounts/braze ons on the Swift? Prob go with frame bags anyway as kiddie seat would be on the back and you can get a rigid fork with rack mounts for the Swift…

The Fargo sounds better, just read a lot about poor unloaded ride quality?

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought Swift and am really liking it, although it’s more of an on/off road frakenbike as I’ve never bikepacked. It’s steel so it’s not the lightest but is very comfortable and versatile.

The Swift has full rack and mudguard fittings, 3 bottle cage fixing (Large and XL) and Singular do to a Swift Touring Fork.

I’ve no idea how it would compare to the others in your list though.

ianbradbury

Fargo (2nd hand Ti version) rides fine loaded or not.

stany
    Free Member

Swift is great as a mountain bike, but if I remember correctly, not many mounting points. (I’ve not ridden swifts since 1st gen)
    I’ve owned a longitude Mark 1 since it was released and it’s a great allrounder. Not done much mtb on it as I’ve got an ibis for that, but kiddy seat, front panniers , commute on and off road, foul weather, it takes it all, and I’ve never done any maintenance other than adjusting the brakes.
    A bit heavy but once loaded, not really an issue.
    Never ridden a fargo

scud
    Free Member

All depends really, if you want it to ride like a proper mountain bike normally then Swift or Longitude, i’ve a Fargo and loved it for long adventures, it is like riding an armchair, great for long days, pleny of hand positions and rides really well with a big load, but it does have “Fargo speed” as it is not light and just likes to chug along at it’s own pace, it is one of those bikes where it seems to take twice as much effort to go that 2-3 mph faster, but really stable when loaded up.

stompy

I really like the look of the Longitude but it is the only one that isn’t designed with drops in mind….

It seems it is Swift/Longitude vs Fargo as the first two are similar bikes…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’d say Longitude MK1. Hard to come by. One on ebay right now, very nicely specced. My Vagabond sale didn’t materialise so had to let it go 🙁 No doubt it’ll get grabbed pretty soon. If I had to have one bike to do it all I’d have had the Longitude in hindsight. Luckily the Vagabond is very capable, all-day comfortable and suprisingly quick at 27lbs. In a perfect world I’d have both as the Longitude is v versatile, loong, ie built for carrying stuff in a stable fashion, and those swept Genesis Alt bars are the shnizzle

Can’t compare a Fargo but I’d say is v similar to a Vagabond. A tough call but given yr stated requirements a Longitude certainly seems an ideal choice

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Can only comment on the longitude ,got one in October and my full suss hasn’t left the garage since ,use it for commuting all day rides and natural trails , it’s just a confidence inspiring bike not sure cause it’s steel or the chubby tyres but there’s very little buzz through the bike .

nixie

I’ve got a Mk2 (alloy fork) longitude that I use for exactly the things you describe (and also as a winter bike). Its spot on for this. Nice twist have the tapered head tube means it can run a modern suspension fork if desired.

damascus
    Free Member

Why are you not considering the vagabond?

bri-72

Longitude doesn’t do anything particularly well, but seems to be good in an all round way. It’s the cheapest heaviest and worst specced of all my bikes yet one I probably ride most. Make of that what you will.

Only real criticism is it’s long chainstays in 27.5 plus mode which makes the front end hard to pop up over stuff. NoticEably less nimble than the stooge that went before it.

Mines a 16 with alu fork. Don’t pre-judge that year the fork is every bit as nice to ride as the stooge with steel fork was.

bri-72

ojom
    Free Member

Longitude. What he/she said above.

My most basic simple and cheapest bike but it just works in every way. Love it.

burko73

Love my longitude. 2017 model withthe steel fork. Got mine new for about £800 on eBay. It reminds me of my old pre suspension mo7ntain biking.

commander
    Free Member

Ive a Swift (3 actually…best, winter and singlespeed) and A Fargo (had 2 now 1…) both great, both different. The Swifts are the first bike Ive got where I feel I will never need to consider another mountainbike. I know we say that when we get a new bike but Ive had these 5 years and never even considered swapping, and sold all my other mountainbikes as after the swift I just didnt ride them. But…..
    The fargo is a true do it all, hence I bought 2 and figted them out diffrently but realised I didnt need to, so sold one. In 22 speed 2.4 tyred guise I offroad, tour, brindle, gravel (whatever that is) and even have lesuirely evening road spins when I just want to enjoy the ride and leave the road bike tucked up. Its a true grab it and ride bike. Heavy as sin but you just dont care and it doesnt really slow you down. The only bike I would swap it for is a Mason Bokeh with 2 sets of wheels and Im still not sure it would be as versitile.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A question: How would a bike with small/short rear triangle be useful for carrying kids and/or cargo?

stompy

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated, all good stuff.

Went for a Swift as couldn’t resist, they are beautiful and lovely to ride.

I’ll keep my eye out for a Longitude or Fargo to build up into a proper tourer…. I live in Croatia, it is a cracking country for touring by bike.

thenorthwind

I’ll keep my eye out for a Longitude or Fargo to build up into a proper tourer…. I live in Croatia, it is a cracking country for touring by bike.

Happy to bring my Longitude over so you can have a look 😀 I was in Croatia briefly this September (followed by a longer stay in Slovenia) and would love to come back and explore with a bike.

On-topic, another +1 for this:

Longitude doesn’t do anything particularly well, but seems to be good in an all round way. It’s the cheapest heaviest and worst specced of all my bikes yet one I probably ride most.

Bit late I know but I hope the Swift ends up getting ridden lots too.

stompy

Happy to bring my Longitude over so you can have a look I was in Croatia briefly this September (followed by a longer stay in Slovenia) and would love to come back and explore with a bike.

September is a good time to do it, June to August is hot as hell, didn’t drop below 30 for those months this year, averaged about 36….. No good for doing anything apart from drinking cold beer…. Which they are very good at here.

I’m gonna sort some frame bags and have a look at the touring fork for the Swift and see how I get on…. It is a bike at the end of the day and will do the job well I think…. All to easy to be believe all the marketing boll***s…. I’m guilty of that as much as the rest.

burko73

anyone got any pics of frame bag types fitted to longitude – medium frame if poss?

Bri – what frame bag do you have there?

bri-72

Mines a large frame. Altura framebag, a bit flimsy not sure I’d recommend unless you get a good deal.

steezysix
    Free Member

Mine is also a large frame, I had a custom frame bag made for my Genesis High Latitude and it was a spot on fit for the Longitude.

I also have an Alpamayo half frame bag that fits ok, but you don’t get full use of the water bottle mounts, so I think full frame bag is a better choice!

thenorthwind

September is a good time to do it

It wasn’t this year (in Slovenia anyway). It pissed it down for most of the two weeks we were there. Still a brilliant part of the world!

Probably not exactly what you were looking for but I use a Blackburn Outpost (large) on mine (large frame):

The bag expands into a full frame (although it won’t really fill any frame). This is the only picture I have of this configuration, you can just about see it here:

If you’re looking for a precise fit for that frame, you’d be better looking elsewhere but I didn’t buy it specifically for that bike. Half the point of bikepacking is that you don’t need a specific bike for it, IMHO 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Swift, Fargo or Longitude’ is closed to new replies.