Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Swift – creaky EBB
  • petefromearth

been riding a swift with the Phil Wood EBB for about 6 months (ace bike)

i’ve taken it out and re-greased quite a few times because of annoying creaking. the set screws are as tight as i dare. i wash it carefully and i confess i am a bit of a fair weather rider so it hasn’t really had much muck in there!

so far i have just used the bog-standard finish line grease (the white non-sticky stuff) which i apply to the outside of the ebb, the set screws, and also the threads of the BB

is this the norm with EBB’s or should i try something else? have seen talk of copper slip and (bizarrely) PTFE tape…

petefromearth

currently running a 1×9 setup so i don’t need it to tension the chain, so i have it in the 6 o clock position

STATO
    Free Member

Never had a peep out of mine, i dont do the screws up tight tho as they dont need to be, maybe thats the root of your problem?

Lactic
    Free Member

Copper slip sorted my creaky EBB. Though I’ve got a niner, which is a different design to the phil wood jobs.

petefromearth

cheers for the replies. just applied copper slip, we’ll see how long it lasts!

Aidan
    Free Member

I went though BB creaks with mine and immediately blamed the EBB. I took out the EBB and greased it, fiddled round with how tight I did up the screws… no effect.

In the end, it was the threads of my BB cups just like it would have been on a normal BB shell. If it’s still creaking, grease your BB threads. I use copper grease, but normal grease will probably do.

To be fair to it, when mine did start creaking, I did think back to standing in a river to fill my water bottles while it flowed at about BB height 😳

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Swift – creaky EBB’ is closed to new replies.