Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sweeping the chimney.
  • Ambrose

How do you do it? I’ve always just opened the flue and shoved the brush up and down a few times from below.

I lived on a farm once where rooks had nested in the chimney. The farmer dropped a big rock down from above to clear it. He was also known to pour diesel down from above and ignite it- or so I was told!

RoterStern
    Free Member

No I idea. We have to have a cimney sweep to do it once a year by law in these parts. He generally climbs up onto the roof and has a brush on a long chain. Our chimney has a waste outlet trap door in the cellar where he collects the soot.

woody21
    Free Member

Can’t you drop a chicken down it (with feathers, not frozen), or do you know a small child that wants to earn some pocket money?

We use a chimney sweep – honest

FFJA
    Free Member

Christmas tree. Big end first….

slowoldman

Roter Stern – I’m guessing you’re in Germany. I remember watching the chimney sweep of my Oma’s roof many many years ago dropping the brush down from the top (the opposite way to the standard British approach.

Do they still wear top hats?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Our sweep comes once a year, and last time he had this cool brush that he shoved up through the stove and attached his drill to. And then gets about a mug full of soot because I’m brilliant at driving a stove (licks finger, smooths eyebrow).

andy4d

We get a sweep to come every year or so. He comes in with big brush and vacum, up it goes, bobs yer uncle, 30 quid and see ya again next year. No mess or hassle.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Roter Stern – I’m guessing you’re in Germany. I remember watching the chimney sweep of my Oma’s roof many many years ago dropping the brush down from the top (the opposite way to the standard British approach.

Do they still wear top hats?

Oh indeed they do.

Drac

I bought my own brush set for about £25. I go from the stove up and it takes no time at all, a big sheet covering over the stove as you go, allow it time to settle before removing the sheet and there’s no mess. No mess and no hassle.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I bought a set too and do it myself in the summer time, ready for Autumn. Takes only a few minutes and a Henry hoover to clean the back of the fire place afterwards. Just remember not to do it too hard or the bird cage/ chimney top can fly off and cost £30 for a chimney man to get up there and put it back on 🙄

Edukator
    Free Member

Climb up on the roof, take the pot off, brush down with the stove vent shut. Wait for the dust to settle then remove the visible stove pipes in the kitchen and clean them outside. Refit the stove pipes so there is a draw to remove dust and clean the inside of the stove. No mess.

slowoldman

Ah you’ve made my day Roter Stern.

RoterStern
    Free Member

😀

stuarty
    Free Member

Do it the russian way.
    Climp up on the roof
    Stick the suction side of the leaf blower over chimney
    Let rip..
    Job done..

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

How do you do it?

Remove soot trap and empty it.
    Insert brush into main chimney, move it all the way up and down a couple of times.
    Brush flue pipe.
    Replace trap.
    Vacuum up any mess from dust etc.

I guess you could pay someone to do it if you wanted.

welshfarmer

Did mine yesterday. Up on the roof via built in access. Brush down until all clean and brush bottoms out. Go in house and open trap door behind stove and use a shovel to remove several buckets of soot. Nice and clean and very easy. One of the benefits of designing and building your own house 🙂

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed myself, but it is important it gets done once a year, apparently.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sweeping the chimney.’ is closed to new replies.