Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Swearing on Star Trek
  • donks
    Free Member

Just watched tonight’s episode of discovery and it got all potty mouthed. I had to double take as I’m fairly sure they have never sworn on the show… might be wrong?

P-Jay
    Free Member

It always seemed to me that in addition to becoming very naval like and regulation obsessed, Star Fleet banned swearing.

Lots of TV very potty mouthed today. I don’t think it’s needed.

scaredypants

Kirk once called Spock a “vulcan idiot” IIRR. I like to imagine it was deliberately naughty scriptwriting 😀

legend
    Free Member

As long as no one was asked for their Christian name we’re all good

scotroutes

12 rated, innit?

That’s higher than this forum.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was surprised not shocked really, themes are a little stronger than some previous so not aimed at universal appeal.

Cougar

I’ve not seen this week’s. Is it “shucky darn” or “see you next Tuesday” or somewhere in between?

scotroutes

I can’t say.

It begins with an F and ends in a monarch.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Unusual Shirley, Trekkies aren’t normally potty mouthed in that there are plenty of words in many languages they could use..

Naughty naughty, very naughty.

IMO.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

IMHO using words that everyone knows is a swear word just slightly changed is lame and pointless. Everyone knows

Cougar

It begins with an F and ends in a monarch.

Fuqueen?

scotroutes

:mrgreen:

Northwind

Fhenry

hols2
    Free Member

Fbhumibol Adulyadej?

CountZero

IMHO using words that everyone knows is a swear word just slightly changed is lame and pointless. Everyone knows

What, like ‘****’, for example?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d say that’s either more than slightly changed or you will be getting an email about filter avoidance 🙂

Farmer of Melons Socks

peteimpreza

I am swearing at Star Trek because I can’t find I on Netflix!!

In the US at the moment , is it not on here ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.netflix.com/title/80126024
    Click that link and it should take you to the right region version

peteimpreza

Thanks Mike but that did not work.

I am in Chicago if that makes any difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It is on in the US though not sure how netflix is playing cross border, I managed to watch some netflix stuff when I was over there.
    ah you need CBS
    https://www.cinemablend.com/television/1539370/where-star-trek-discovery-will-air

peteimpreza

Cheers Mike I will just catch up when I get back .

scaredypants

hols2 – Member
    Fbhumibol Adulyadej?

Yeah, Klingon swearing’s the best

BillMC

Surely they could be a bit inventive and not rely on common or garden terms. I noticed the potential for one reading this morning’s Independent: an act of CarlyLunngus.

GrahamS

Gadsbudlikins!

Not to be a snoutband triptaker, but it seems a bit daft to think that in 2255 people will still be using 2017 swear words, especially after meeting so many other species with different languages.

prettygreenparrot

Not to be a snoutband triptaker, but it seems a bit daft to think that in 2255 people will still be using 2017 swear words, especially after meeting so many other species with different languages.

I had a similar thought. I’d have expected something more contemporary. Though we’re using it 500 years on from its apparent Germanic origin.

It did seem out of character for Star Trek.

vintagewino
    Free Member

well out of character! do not like. Mirror bit at the end was good / intriguing though.

PJM1974
    Free Member

but it seems a bit daft to think that in 2255 people will still be using 2017 swear words

“Goddam it lieutenant, that’s a ridiculous idea. Are you being such a Grayling on purpose?”

“Captain, the engines cannae take it. I’m dealing with a massive pile of Cordern here”.

“Don’t give me that Piers Morgan, I need warp speed right now!”

GrahamS

Totally need to read this book:
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/23/holy-shit-history-swearing-mohr

Warning: article about swearing contains swearing.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Okay, it’s a film…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrm8TV7K4zo[/video]

anyway https://twitter.com/swear_trek

Rorschach
    Free Member

Was a bit random.

miketually
    Free Member

but it seems a bit daft to think that in 2255 people will still be using 2017 swear words

It seems a bit daft to think that in 2255 people will still be using 2017 words. What did English sound like in 1779?

deadkenny
    Free Member

and Kirk said “Klingon Bastard”, but then that was a film also.

amedias
    Free Member

Picard said ‘shit’ in an episode….in French

GrahamS

Well that’s true mike – but I think that’s an allowable concession.

If they were all speaking a futuristic Mandarin/Spanish/English/Urdu/Vulcan hybrid pidgin language then it might be more realistic but it would get a bit wearing. 😀

scotroutes

Firefly?

Rorschach
    Free Member

It seems a bit daft to think that a fictional science fiction series set in 2255 would worry too much about the future linguistic evolution of swear words.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9yrC0Izy8[/video]

shermer75
    Free Member

Just watched it, must have missed the swearing! Which bit is it?

plyphon
    Free Member

I’m more confused that they name dropped Elon Musk who, on the grand scale of things, hasn’t yet done anything as monumental as the wrist brothers (First successful plane (I know there is debate around that)) and Zefram Cochrane who invented the first warp drive.

Elon Musk has done some real cool shit don’t get me wrong, but he’s not invented anything on the scale of plane flight or faster than light space travel. Yet, anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the wrist brothers

lol

I think it was a nod to the future an a pat on the back/in joke

seosamh77
    Free Member

plyphon – Member
    Elon Musk has done some real cool shit don’t get me wrong, but he’s not invented anything on the scale of plane flight or faster than light space travel. Yet, anyway.

He’s taken self promotion of one’s ego to new heights? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Swearing on Star Trek’ is closed to new replies.