Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Swearing at Americans
  • sneakyg4
    Free Member

Visiting the west coast of the US for work in the next few weeks then tacking a holiday on a afterwards.

I have been told that most Americans really don’t like swearing or ‘cussing’. (despite what Hollywood tells me.)

Is there any truth in this? will I need to curtail my almost casual use of the F and C words?

Cougar

They don’t understand British swearing. You’ll be fine with “bollocks,” everyone’s favourite onanism euphemism, and possibly even the popular term for a ladygarden that isn’t the c-bomb.

nickc

depends entirely on the environment and circumstances and people. I don’t think there are hard and fast rules.

but if it’s work, you wouldn’t be effing and jeffing anyway, would you?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Nah … don’t worry

They’ll think you’re an Aussie and no harm will be done to the reputation of our green and pleasant land

perchypanther
    Free Member

possibly even the popular term for a ladygarden that isn’t the c-bomb

I’ve heard that they’re so popular over there that you can buy them in packs….

rusty90
    Free Member

Yes, Americans really do say ‘heck’ and ‘darn’ and call people ‘sir’ at lot. Can be quite unnerving.
    Just ask to borrow a rubber and tell them you’re going out for a fag 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

My wife’s American and drops way more f-bombs than anyone else I know.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

I am from Scotland.

But being serious I was quite concerned that people think I swear a lot.
    I live in Oxford now, so while I probably swear less than the average Scot, that’s probably a lot more than the average person from Oxfordshire.

molgrips
    Free Member

1) They don’t understand the subtle usage of British swear words, so it’ll end with confusion. They aren’t generally able to deduce the intention of the word from its context and sound, and will often ask what it means and why you said it. Which is quite hard to explain really.

2) The use of the F word is different. It’s used to make a point or else very ostentatiously to show off what a macho hard guy you are. This may present a different image to the one you intend. However whenever I’ve used the F word in an understated British style they’ve realised that it’s a different usage.

3) Don’t use the C word. They don’t have the concept of swearing at your friends quite so openly, so stay away really. I’m not sure I’ve heard an American say it, and certainly not in normal conversation.

Stuff that doesn’t get starred out on this forum is probably ok, but they often don’t know the nuances of them either.

onandon
    Free Member

Spoze you can say Fanny as much as you want 🙂
    Sit on your fanny or pack a fanny pack with items.

rosscore
    Free Member

They don’t like the C word anymore than we do here, but they can ef and blind with the best of us, depends like here wether you know them or not, it’s really not much different from here, depending on which region you’re in.

Having said that, there can be a bit more God bothering in certain places so swear back when sworn at would probably be the best counsell.

tenfoot

I had a few looks when I exclaimed “Jesus Christ” at my daughter, when we were in LA last year.

DezB
    Free Member

You know, I visited some Americans for work a year or so ago. Some of them were quiet, reserved, non-sweary types, some were friendly, brash, normal talkers, some were a bit “common” like what I is and swore like the veritable trooper.
    There’s a huge amount of em over there. And they, strangely enough, have all different personalities!
    Hated em all though, me.

nickc

I am from Scotland.

ah, then try using odd ones, Bollocks, ****, numpty, might even get away with cockwomble etc

Cougar

I’ve heard that they’re so popular over there that you can buy them in packs….

Ah, I didn’t mean that one. I meant the one I tried to teach to an American colleague and the closest he managed was “twot.”

tell them you’re going out for a fag

Don’t tell them you’re going to smoke a fag, they’ll call the police.

shermer75
    Free Member

Just as long as you point, shout and throw some white plastic chairs around you should be fine.

HTH 🙂

hatter

I find liberally minded Americans to find British RP profanity twee and rather endearing.

Which is a bit irritating when you’re genuinely cross and they look at you with a sense of charmed wonderment because as far as they’re concerned it’s like being bollocked by Professor Snape.

captmorgan
    Free Member

I find the use of “four funnelled, copper bottomed, ocean going, full orchestra playing on the poop deck, thunder c@*t” is universally accepted and applauded throughout the US of A.

kayak23

He might be a builder, in which case it’s practically compulsory 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

Obviously there’s quiet a few of them and they all have their own opinion on it, in my very limited experience the more honest ones don’t mind it away from young ears and occasionally swear themselves.

It’s the really fake ones you want to watch out for, plastered behind a thick veneer of conformity masquerading as respectability, they have that way of calling you a **** to your face, whilst smiling and never actually using the word.

Not unique to the US though, it’s a ‘western world’ thing.

tomhoward

If said work requires writing in pencil (appreciate this is somewhat of a long shot nowadays), ask a colleague if you can borrow a rubber. They will lose their shit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just do it in a working class Boston accent and no one will notice 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Three things:

1. Americans tend to be more formally polite with strangers, hence the pretty standard use of “sir” and “ma’am”. TBH it is preferable to “mate”.

2. Swearing. Americans do swear, but see 1.

3. Blasphemy (e.g. tenfoot’s “Jesus Christ” above) is really not on in the US. Way more serious than swearing. See 1.

twisty

I am from Scotland.

Unless you have completely lost your accent they will not understand a word that you are saying whether it is a swearword or not.

perchypanther
    Free Member

There are a plethora of good Scottish swear words which’ll slip unnoticed into most conversations with Americans.

e.g You may safely refer to your friend as a fud, dobber, bawbag or boaby basher.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Just try not swearing, pottymouth.

bencooper
    Free Member

They don’t like the C word anymore than we do here

Never been to Glasgow, then? 😀

binners

I can’t believe nobody has posted this up yet. The master at work, not being appreciated by American philistines…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwtD7XKbwQ[/video]

😆

StackEd

They’ve never met Wayne kerr either

wattsymtb
    Free Member

This is very true in my experience.

I met lots of different people in Oklahoma, most of whom thought they had offended me at some point during the evening.

This was entirely due to my increasing casual use of swear words as I got more drunk.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

What they really love is being told that we are basically a majority Muslim country by default, as no one else acknowledges religion.

Makes them really angry without giving them any reason to be angry at you directly.

Actually don’t do this.

martinhutch

Was watching Veep last night. The one where she is trying to find the person who called her a c-word in the office. I think they were just going for the record of using it the most in a single programme.

http://betterwithpopcorn.com/blog/george-prax/tv-reviews/veep-s05e06-recap-most-brutal-lines-cgate

So I think it depends on which American you’re talking to.

Veep is great, started off quite cautious but is now probably more profane than Thick of It.

footflaps

everyone’s favourite onanism euphemism, and possibly even the popular term for a ladygarden that isn’t the c-bomb.

Am I the only one who has no idea which words he’s on about?

ourmaninthenorth

martinhutch

***** or maybe ******-*****

Kahurangi

the popular term for a ladygarden that isn’t the c-bomb.

certainly isn’t “twit”

/edited for context

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just returned from the west coast and wasn’t aware of any particular swearing, although cycling along the ocean front in San Diego, one Fisherman said to another something about being a bull shitter, saw us and immediately apologised for swearing.

Contrast that to the completely unrestrained use of offensive language in public places by so many people in the UK, totally oblivious of any offence they may cause.

maccruiskeen

or maybe ******-*****

Monkey-fumbler?

benp1

But instead they have guns…

slowoldman

Just ask to borrow a rubber

I’ve done this. Oh and “dropped a bollock”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Swearing at Americans’ is closed to new replies.