Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Swear words in the mag…
  • Rich
    Free Member

I’ve just been reading issue 75 and enjoying it, but I can’t help but notice the amount of swearing that is included.

I think it’s disappointing that the magazine is not suitable for younger readers.

These words aren’t allowed on the forum, so why are they OK in the mag?
    It’s not like they are just words like damn or bugger, so far I have read f..k, bas…d and pr..k!

I would much prefer it if this was toned down.

What’s your opinion?

jota180
    Free Member

What’s your opinion?

**** right off 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Could give a s*** 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

shit is allowed.

Both literally and metaphorically 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Minty Bum Holes is my favourite non-sweary swearing. It isn’t used enough as far as I am concerned.

Pieface

Swearing is a sign of a limited vocabulary 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

OP reported for swear filter evasion….

Cletus

Rich I would prefer swearing to be removed from the mag

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve just been reading issue 75 and enjoying it, but I can’t help but notice the amount of swearing that is included.

For this reason I don’t buy it, if you can’t articulate yourself without resorting to swearing, you ain’t worth shit.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I think the same standards should apply to both forum and magazine.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Yes, but which way?

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I enjoy the forum and find the swearing (or alluding to swearing) reasonable as it’s all part of the banter.

Singletrack magazine isn’t my first choice mountain bike mag though because I remember the swearing put me off. I agree that in an article which someone has taken the time to consider and, had others proof read and approve there just isn’t any need for swearing. I feel that if there is swearing in an article that is supposed to give a knowledgeable insight into a subject it just suggests laziness and decreases the credibility of the author.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Yes, I too have to agree that we can do with out this sort of appalling language! I have also noticed a lot of foul language on this site, why aren’t the moderators acting upon this!!!?
    Makes me wonder what kind of upbringing a lot of these people have had! 🙄

vinnyeh

Makes me wonder what kind of upbringing a lot of these people have had!

thrown up rather than brought up, I presume. 🙂

sc-xc

rupertpostlethwaite –

(and that’s only because i can’t find the right smiley for bore off trollface)

donsimon
    Free Member

Makes me wonder what kind of upbringing a lot of these people have had!

Better than yours because I like to think of myself as broad minded, tolerant and non-judgemental.

proteus
    Free Member

I don’t think the views of someone who received a forum ban for posting a racist word are worth a shit.

druidh
    Free Member

In my context, that wasn’t a racist word.

sparksmcguff

Does Ecclefechan count as a swear word? My OH uses it frequently as one.

Pook

too many [in jokes – ed] too.

wwaswas

I would love to know which regular ruperpostlethwaite is.

patriotpro
    Free Member

rupertpostlethwaite – Member
    Yes, I too have to agree that we can do with out this sort of appalling language! I have also noticed a lot of foul language on this site, why aren’t the moderators acting upon this!!!?

I’d say because we all left the confines of school rules years ago.

yunki
    Free Member

life is a four letter word

clubber
    Free Member

kite?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Have you actually listened to the language in a primary school playground recently? There isn’t a swear work the average 9 year old doesn’t know and use when out of earshot of his/her parents. The idea that a child would learn any bad language from Singletrack magazine is absurd.

More generally, swearing is part of normal life, sometimes a sentence has more impact by using appropriate ‘fruity’ language. Sure, I wouldn’t expect the ‘F’ word or the ‘C’ word in the mag, but they do appear in the broadsheet press from time to time and so it should be.

Grow the F up.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Swearing is a sign of a limited vocabulary

That quote is a sign of lack of originality.

sweepy
    Free Member

I like a bit of swearing. Id rather read a sweary but nice post, than a more polite, but nasty one.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Nicknoxx – Member
    Have you actually listened to the language in a primary school playground recently? There isn’t a swear work the average 9 year old doesn’t know and use when out of earshot of his/her parents. The idea that a child would learn any bad language from Singletrack magazine is absurd.

Sometimes I really am shocked at some of the comments on here! 🙄
    Perhaps you haven’t sent your children to a respectable school!
    My child will have the best of upbringings and the best education one can afford, perhaps the youngsters of this day and age only know such words through poor education…..hmmm, who’s to blame. 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

My child will have the best of upbringings and the best education one can afford

The best? 😆

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

All comments noted. Thanks 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

The less you swear, the more effective it is when you do. No outright ban IMO, but fewer please.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Droppin F and C bombs for fun over this way.

All you IT bods need a month or so in a northern factory!!!!

P.S. Thats from me, a telecoms geek!

argyle
    Free Member

i like to swear, it’s great

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Could give a s***

You do give a s*** or you couldn’t give a s***?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

So, does that mean we should encourage swearing, especially amongst our primary school children?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There’s a mag?.. well I’ll be ****ed

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d hope they’d edit the mag at least as vociferously as the forum, if not more so. Shame. Still, I don’t have much room to talk, I’ve literally never bought the mag (primarily as I don’t buy mags very often, not through some sort of boycott!).

bwaarp
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eavu3F0N4E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Argyle, that’s excellent.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

So, does that mean we should encourage swearing, especially amongst our primary school children?

Err, no, I certainly didn’t suggest that. I don’t imagine many primary school children read STW either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Swear words in the mag…’ is closed to new replies.