Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Swear words in front of kids
  • GrahamS

They give me (literally) a slap on the wrist when I say 'bad words'.

Excellent – prevent rude words, but openly encourage an atmosphere of violence and physical retribution 😀

Kit
    Free Member

I swear like a trooper when not in inappropriate company, but got to say I was shocked by all the 'damns' in the first Harry Potter film! If I'd said damn at the age of 12 I'd have been hung out to dry.

Of course, I now find swearing hilarious, eg: (suffice to say, NSFW)

http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/angry_kid_swearing/

http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/angry_kid_writing/

jojoA1
    Free Member

…openly encourage an atmosphere of violence and physical retribution.

I told them they can give me a good punch in the kisser, but they're not keen. Pussies! 😈

[need I add 😉 ?]

SonicTheHedgehog
    Free Member

This post reminds me of a scene in "I'm a celebrity…….." where Christopher Biggins gets everyone playing charades. He goes on for ages pointing to all the intimate parts of the body, where all the other celebs are shouting out words like ar$e, ****t,tit,w@nk, kok etc etc……
    Then he says……."It's none of these, I just wanted to hear you talk dirty"
    Really funny at the time.

nickc

Walking round the supermarket in the chilled isle, under my breath; "It's **** freezing in here"
    Son, "Dad, you can't swear in here, it's Waitrose"

GrahamS

I was shocked by all the 'damns' in the first Harry Potter film!

Why? I genuinely just don't get why that word is offensive.
    Is it worse to say "Damn you" than "Curse you" for instance? Is it a religion/blasphemy thing? 😕

BTW infrequent use of the word "f*ck" is permitted in a 12A film. 😀

GrahamS
    Kit
    Free Member

Just realised that this is the video I meant to post:

http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/angry_kid2_tourettes/

😀

samuri
    Free Member

I never heard my dad swear until I started working for him when I was 16. I was honestly shocked when we pulled up at the site in the van and he said to me and the other lad, "Right W4nkers!".

snap! I went to work for my dads business over the summer when I was 16 and I've never heard such swearing! He reserved a lot of it for danny who would *apparently* spend so much time in the dark room that it was clear he was up to other things.

My son swore at primary school once, the f word to another kid. Obviously it was all my fault (I do swear a lot but not in front of him) and nothing to do with the 5 or 6 blue eyed boys in the same class who I'd heard effing near enough constantly in the playground. The school pulled us in for the incident and when I suggested that he might have heard it from Robert or Alex, the headteacher nearly passed out and spat 'robert and alex do not swear!!!!!!!' at me (because robert and alex and their parents go to church whereas we didn't).

I then suggested she might want to listen to them in the playground, which I presume she did because we heard no more about it. And my son never swears now (near us anyway).

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I made the mistake of calling my wife a 'spazzer' in front of the kids…..

BIG mistake.

I make lots of mistakes…….

Keva
    Free Member

I was given two whacks of the cane at school when I was eleven for calling the music teacher a silly cow.

Kev

langy
    Free Member

I need to tone it down, especially as we have a little one on the way.

But we all (extended family) swear in front of the nieces and nephews and I don't see any reason to stop per se; there are certain words to steer away from and certainly don't turn the air blue when they are around, but they are going to learn these words at some point, so it may as well be from family who can hopefully direct them to when it can be or isn't appropriate to use them.

user-removed
    Free Member

I shouted "Iyah c***in' b@st@rd" at a six year old at work. I was fitting her skis to her boots and caught the web of skin between my thumb and fore-finger in the ski binding. D@mn that smarts!!

Fortunately her parents were at the other side of the (large) room and my colleagues just fell about laughing, after a swift, stunned silence…

wwaswas

my wife used to.

It all came to an abrupt halt when our then 2 year old son called her a "F*cking W*nker" at volume in the Christmas queue at Tescos.

speaking of which and this may be a myth but a bloke I work with swears blind that a kid in front of him in a supermarket queue, when told he couldn;t have any chocolate said;

"Give me the chocolate or I'll tell Nanny I saw you kissing daddies willy".

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do some people not drink alcohol in front of children, on account that children shouldn't drink ?

BTW, "damn" isn't a swearword. And I can't see how it could ever be described as an 'offensive' word legally

GrahamS

According to wikipedia:

The word "damn" or phrase "God damn" are widely used as a moderate profanity

But the Parents BBFC site says that:

The ‘U’ symbol stands for ‘Universal’. A ‘U’ film should be suitable for audiences aged four years and over…
    At the ‘U’ category, we only allow very mild bad language (eg ‘damn’ and ‘hell’). Occasionally, bad language such as ‘bloody’ or ‘bugger’ may be included, where justified by the context.

So to hell with it, I should be allowed to use bloody U category language in front of the damn buggers!

satsoma
    Free Member

Whilst I don't swear in front of kids myself, a friend of mine swears in front of her kids all the time.

She told them that Mummy can do it, but they are not allowed and I've never heard them use bad language once.

Probably more to do with how scary she is when she tells them off than anything else…

jimmy

My 5 yr old niece came home from school earlier in the year and said to her mum "I know what the 'F' word is". After a bit of wondering whether thats what she really meant she was asked what it is, her reply was "Fox ache". Apparently her friend's dad says it all the time…

FFA

GrahamS

Fox ache

ah.. is that like saying "Wear the Fox Hat" when asking for directions? 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do some people not drink alcohol in front of children, on account that children shouldn't drink ?

Poor analogy. But I dont think it's common for people to get drunk in front of kids, because it doesn't look too smart and can be confusing and upsetting for kids. It's very easy to limit kids access to drink though, and nigh impossible to limit their picking up words and using them without the family having the sense to not use them in front of the children.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Swear words in front of kids’ is closed to new replies.